The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions on Mattes Half Pad vs Ecogold Memory Foam Half Pad?

Im looking to upgrade my half pad (its a few years old now needs to be replaced!) and Im trying to decide between a Mattes and the Ecogold memory foam half pad. Opinions about either would be appreciated?

Thanks!

Never tried the Mattes Half Pad but LOVE the Ecogold memory foam. My guy is super re-active, sensitive... had saddle fit, wasn't the problem- but when I got the ecogold memory foam pad for him, he became much quieter, more rideable. It is bulky, but it didn't appear to interfere in a negative way with saddle fit (I guess because it compresses where necessary?). Highly recommend.

another vote for the Ecogold pad! I am a big fan and find that it provides much more protection than a Mattes/Fleeceworks pad.

I haven't used a Mattes regularly but I LOVE my ecogold half pad. It is a little stiffer than I thought I would be but it is great for my horse. My saddle (foam flocked so I can't change it) is just a little too wide for my horse and this half pad has been great in reducing pressure points. I do have a sheepskin pad that I use for dressage as that saddle is fitted to my horse, but I have used the ecogold one there too and it felt good with that saddle too. It is really well made, I haven't had to wash it yet but the workmanship is great!

I really like sheepskin pads too so I don't think you can go wrong with that either-but I love my ecogold pad! I want to buy their normal saddle pads too-just saving my pennies!

I have an Engel pad (so not a Mattes girl), but I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my EcoGold pad. I haven't used the Engel in...well, ages. I need to just put in on the Bits & Barter board.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

IMO, it's no contest. One is technical materials, the other is just wool. I actually do use both, I use an Ecogold for shock absorption and pressure relief and sheepskin for saddle fit adjustment. But when making a choice, the Ecogold well outperforms the sheepskin in half pad land.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    IMO, it's no contest. One is technical materials, the other is just wool. I actually do use both, I use an Ecogold for shock absorption and pressure relief and sheepskin for saddle fit adjustment. But when making a choice, the Ecogold well outperforms the sheepskin in half pad land.
    Agreed!
    Canadian, eh?

I don't have any experience with the Mattes, pad, but I must say I love my Ecogold memory foam half pad. I've been using it since September.