The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where Can I Find A Farm Around Kansas City?

Help! It appears that in the next 6-8 months I will be moving to Kansas City with fiance. Will be looking to purchase a farm. Have done a few websearches, but nothing spectacular leaps out. He'll be working on the south side of the city, I think just a bit south of Overland Park so will need to commute there.

I'm wondering which counties/areas are good places to look. I'm an eventer (dragged kicking and screaming out of Area II) so will be traveling for competition, need access to highways to get to horse trials/training opportunities. I need some topography/trees to keep my soul from withering. I'm not sure what our budget is, so I'll say under $300K. Hoping I can find something in the vicinity of 20 acres or so that is not a heap built by rednecks and fenced in wire -- which is what a lot I have seen advertised online looks like. I don't need fancy, I'm used to living as a poor state biologist, but I do need safe and structurally sound.

I got all excited when I found some that were reasonably priced and said they had "indoor arenas" -- until the pictures revealed a round pen sized patch of dirt in the shed next to some falling-down stalls, sigh. I'm good at fixing things, but let's have truth in advertising, shall we, LOL?

At any rate -- are there horsey pockets with good access to feed stores/hay/whatever? Good places to look to find properties for sale? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!!

Default Welcome to KC

My husband and I are in the process of selling our large boarding facility (54 stalls) on the west side of KC - 18 miles due west of downtown. We just purchased 28 acres in south Leavenworth County to build a smaller, private facility (12 stalls, indoor, caretaker's house, our house eventually). So we are going through the selling/buying now. Would have loved to find something already built but there is not much out there right now with a decent indoor, etc. that we could afford.

I work in Overland Park, live in Basehor, so know most the areas from Leavenworth down to Spring Hill. Don't know the Missouri side all that well.

The agent we are using to sell our barn specializes in horse properties - Dana Benjamin - www.mykansascityhorseproperty.com is her horse property website. If it is for sale, she would most likely know about it.

Would be happy to talk with you. PM me if you'd like to talk more.

good luck with your move!
    m

Oh, thank you so much for all that, stoney, that is really helpful. Actually, SO will be working in Spring Hill, south of Olathe, I think. I've bookmarked the website and I am sure I will definitely have more questions for you later. This has all kind of sprung up on me in the past week, so it's all a flurry of freaking out and pondering and planning. I had planned on staying in NC forever (I do not do well in the cold), but the SO can't get work here -- dang, if I didn't like him so much, I could stay! ;-) So I'm trying to learn about the area out there in hopes that we can make something of it!

I am only about 20 minutes south of Spring Hill. Check Miami County, of course. Try to stay out of Johnson County if you want to stay under $300k. Talk to Crown Realty, they are the big sellers in this area.

There are lots and lots of properties for sale. SLW on this board probably knows more than I do. Hillsdale Lake is a huge state park with TONS of riding trails -- about 15 minutes from Spring Hill. There are some very nice properties for sale near the state park, I drive by them pretty regularly. I don't know if they have indoor arenas, but I've seen several with nice barns and beautiful fencing and FOR SALE signs.

I have 20 acres and it is not a heap built by rednecks ... but I don't have an indoor arena. You should be able to find what you're looking for under $300k, even with the indoor. If you buy a farm, it's likely to be fenced in barbed wire out here -- unless it is specifically a horse property. The area around Hillsdale Lake is a good area to look, because there are lots of horse people and you'll find more horse-safe fencing. This is cattle country, and there are miles and miles of barbed wire, rodeos and barrel racers. But you will also find ample opportunity to pursue eventing.

Again, I would consider SLW the resident expert. You may want to pm her.

Thank you so much, KR, that's really helpful! Wire's definitely a common problem here in the south too; I can re-fence, but we all know that's expensive, so if I could find something safe up front, that's obviously a bonus! Thankfully, my horses do respect hot tape, so I can use that as an interim if I need to. I don't HAVE to have an indoor either, I don't have one here (don't really need them in the Carolinas) and don't particularly like riding in them, but it would be kinda sweet if I found one since I am a winter-o-phobe. But all-weather footing can go a long way and I am definitely not an arena baby.

That's fantastic news about the park, I love getting out and put a TON of trail miles on my horses in the mtns here, so glad to hear there are nearby opportunities there. I have a feeling I will be in for a pleasant shock cost of living wise -- NC is quite expensive, especially for the south, so my expectations could be totally off!

Good luck with the move. Eastern Kansas is like central Virginia-rolling terrain and hills. There won't be any Pine forest out here but then there won't be that darn tough pollen either!

Kim Hibdon with ReMax is a fantastic gal, knows the area inside and out and a life long horse person to boot. She lives in Spring Hill. For your price range there will be some nice things available. Kansas is chock full of high taxes at the local and state level but it's still a great place to live.

I don't event but it has a decent presence in the area- look up Longview Lake Horse trials and Heritage park horse trials. Many boarding barns will let outsiders haul in to ride indoor for a small fee- that is what I do since my horses are at home. What will amaze you is the high caliber of national level horse folk around here- dressage, AQHA, endurance, hunters and I know one youngish local eventer who is leaving her mark in the eventing world. Do you fox hunt? There are two excellent hunt clubs in the area.

I don't know how good these are for your area, you'll have to take a look but a few good equestrian property websites for our area are:

www.landandfarm.com
    www.newhorse.com
    www.horseclicks.com

Thanks, SLW! I lived in central VA for several years, just beautiful -- I must have missed that part of KS on my drives, but you give me hope! I will add Kim's name to my list. Surely KS taxes can't beat NC, but I probably just jinxed myself by saying that.

I don't really fox hunt -- I have before but it wasn't quite my cup of tea, what with all the dressing up and the fact that my horse would have made mincemeat of my shoulders. But it might be something to consider with the youngster, he's a bit more reasonable about listening to half halts.

Thanks for the links, Leprechaun, I had found the landandfarm one, but not the other two. Bookmarked!

Y'all are great, thank you so so much!

I board my mare at Abby Road Farm just south of KC, www.abbyroadfarm.com and love it. If you need a place to board whilst shopping for your acreage/farm, I definitely would recommend that place.

I drive past an acreage on the way to that stable, appears to be an FSBO type, just says house and 5 acres, but it does have a fenced pasture I believe. If you want me to get the phone number, I certainly could do that.

I have seen some other acreages in that area out by Raymore also. How many acres are you hoping to get, do you want smallish farm or big? Luckily, the KC area has great highway system, so no matter where you are, it is not that difficult to get around.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Thanks, sdlbredfan! I don't think I'm ready for house numbers yet, but I may get back to you on that. 10 acres is my minimum though, so there are plenty of room for jumps and pastures to rotate, etc. I think 20 would be about right, and I'll never say no to more that I can put in conservation lands.

I had a fabo dog named Sasha too...I miss her! And I also love that there is a town called Peculiar, now I want to live there just so I can say it.