The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best pain management supplements?

I'm just wondering what you all feed for daily pain management. I have a mare that is pasture sound (ringbone), and I'm currently giving her MSM. This seems to help, but I'm wondering if there is anything better out there? I had her on a daily aspirin over the summer, but it seemed to wear off quickly.

On her "bad" days, I give her bute- but I don't want to be giving that on a daily basis.

I've heard about BL Solution- is this better than MSM? Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

How much MSM are you giving her? I find that it really takes 20,000 mg a day to be effective. Have you tried Previcox? While not without side effects it's much easier on their GI tract--I've given it daily/every other day to many horses for extended periods of time without problems.

I have no experience with BL Solution--does it contain Devil's Claw? Some horses can't tolerate that as well as previcox.

I also have a pasture-sound ringbone mare. I give her Majesty's Flex Wafers; we don't grain, and they are so easy to give because it's a treat with the supplement inside. My horse loves them.

http://www.majestys.com/flex.php

ETA - I don't know if your horse is stalled but my girl is on 24/7 turnout. She has many, many more good days than bad. Might be worth trying for your horse if you aren't already.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Default Pain management

Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    I'm just wondering what you all feed for daily pain management. I have a mare that is pasture sound (ringbone), and I'm currently giving her MSM. This seems to help, but I'm wondering if there is anything better out there? I had her on a daily aspirin over the summer, but it seemed to wear off quickly.

On her "bad" days, I give her bute- but I don't want to be giving that on a daily basis.

I've heard about BL Solution- is this better than MSM? Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated

I have found a product that is amazing for horses with a mirade of ailments,
    too much bute causes stomache problems. Try Cur-Ost [edit] I use it for my 20 years old horse who was so stiff and had permanent stocked up hind legs. He is now pain free, no longer stiff and I am riding him daily. A bonus, his coat is very shiny
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Nov. 29, 2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: to remove advertising

Thanks for all the quick responses. She is on 24/7 turnout, that definitely helps so much! Her leg will stock up if stalled. She really did great this summer, and had mostly good days- only one bad day that was mostly due to a chipped hoof on the same foot.

Now that the weather is colder, she has had a few more bad days, so I'm thinking of switching her. I'm pretty sure the dose for the MSM is 10,000 mg, I have just been giving 1 scoop per day.

Herbie- is there a link for the Previcox? The only thing I can find is for dogs?

Shining- the wafers sound like a good idea. They look relatively affordable, too!

Has anyone tried the BL-Solution?
    Take us to print!

leahandpie Previcox is Equioxx for dogs . Firocoxib is the drug--using Previcox in horses is considered off label use so you would have to have a vet "flexible" enough to give it to you (luckily mine are!). But at $1 a day vs $10 a day (for Equioxx) it can't hurt to ask! If you have a dog you (might) be able to get some from your small animal vet.

Keep in mind that horses process the drug differently than dogs--a medium sized dog and a 1200 lb horse would both take the same 57mg tablet per dose. You can also use the large dog (227 mg) tablet for horses--just give 1/4 tablet daily.

Herbie- THANKS!! I actually have a source I can probably get that from. Thank so much for the suggestion & dosage information. I can't believe it is so much cheaper for the dog version! That is crazy.
    Take us to print!

Haha let's just keep this between you and me. There are more than a few posters on COTH that will gets their panties in a wad when they read that I suggested (gasp!) off label use of this (or any) drug!

I used to have my gelding on Previcoxx for his ringbone. My vet prescribed it and it worked great. After he died from colic my vet mentioned that he had to stop prescribing it or he would risk losing his license. I think that the AVMA or one of those groups threatened vets who were prescribing it Too bad because it really helped!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I have been using the BL solution for about 6 weeks now,seems to be working well.I didn't want to have my mare on bute for any extended period of time.This is a good alternative.
    mm

Another Previcox and 20,000 mg MSM user here for my 28 year old gelding with general arthritis, who canters around with the crazy young ones.

PS -- I got 100 57 mg Previcox tabs for $130, if that helps.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Sounds like Previcox is the way to go. I will try to figure out how much it will cost me!! Thanks everyone I will let you know how "Lulu" does on it!
    Take us to print!

www.allivet.com

You can get 60 of the 227 mg tablets for $135. Just get a pill splitter to quarter them and you've got yourself 240 doses--eight months worth. That's around 50 cents a day.