Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default braiding at C rated show?

Hi all, going to my first C rated show in two weeks, showing in unrated divisions. Do I braid or not braid?

Back in my day we did, I am curious to hear what is acceptable now. When I showed all A, B, and C shows were "recognized" and everyone braided for the hunters and eq, and even some people for the jumpers.

And regardless of the rating (A,B,C) all divisions except ponies were over 3'6" or higher, you waited to show until you were a proficient rider. We could use more of that in today's show ring.

Well, at the schooling show I just went to, me and the two ladies I went with were the only ones that braided. Back in the day I did too, even at schooling shows. I am 31 by the way.

I know, I'm from "back in the day" myself (1980s). Just seems like an in between show, I know we braid for A, and we don't for schooling. I don't want DD's pony to be the only one not braided, nor the only one braided

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Back in my day we did, I am curious to hear what is acceptable now. When I showed all A, B, and C shows were "recognized" and everyone braided for the hunters and eq, and even some people for the jumpers.

And regardless of the rating (A,B,C) all divisions except ponies were over 3'6" or higher, you waited to show until you were a proficient rider. We could use more of that in today's show ring.
    Ah here we go again with this. You leave out one minor detail-when you showed, a 3'6" horse didnt cost more than most current day mortgages.... more of a limiting factor than being a "proficient rider"

I dont braid for B or C but we also have B and C shows around here that state "no braiding" on the prize list (I think to encourage more local people to show).
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

I think the simplest answer is to say that you CAN braid, but it is NOT necessary. That is unless braiding is specifically prohibited by the particular show.

You shouldn't be penalized for it by any means, and while you may not necessarily earn any extra points because of it, if it makes you feel like it makes a better picture, then go for it.

You will likely see many or most of the horses in the unrated divisions not braided.
    Last edited by *Liz*; Nov. 29, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

We typically don't braid for C shows unless it's something like a local PHA final or such.

Certainly would never braid for an indoor C show

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    I don't want DD's pony to be the only one not braided, nor the only one braided
    Of those two options, I'd much rather be the only one braided.

Correct, traditional turn-out, including a nice braid job, is always appropriate.

Good luck at the show!

people dont usually braid at the C shows I go to (or B for that matter), but I enjoy braiding and usually do it just because I like to.

LOL exactly what our trainer said Liz, which wasn't all that helpful! It's just for pre-children's ponies, and short stirrup eq, so is it safe to assume that level will not be braided? Pony's mane is very brittle and dry and I'd rather not braid it if I don't have to.

There has been a definite change over the past 15 years or so in how many horses are braided at C and even A rated shows. In the 90s, most horses at C shows would be braided. Now, at the AAs, an unbraided horse stands out like a sore thumb. But I've noticed that at many of the As, only those showing in A rated divisions are braided and a lot of the rest aren't. For example, I was showing a horse in the Adult Hunters last year and we braided show after show, sometimes being the only horse braided even at A shows. I agree that it looks much nicer, but finally in the name of saving money I stopped doing it and from there on out I always part of the majority that didn't. In my experience, braided horses at a C show anymore are few and far between and you will in no way be penalized for going to a C show unbraided, especially in an unrated division.

However, if you can afford to braid (or do beautiful braids yourself!), go for it! As someone else mentioned, it can never hurt you to be "overdressed" in the show ring

I go to C rated shows often and I can't recall the last time I saw someone braided. However, when someone braids for C rated shows they tend to stick out because they're the only one. I wouldn't braid if you're only showing in non-rated divisons, you can sleep in a little longer

ok so consensus says don't braid? any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
    Ah here we go again with this. You leave out one minor detail-when you showed, a 3'6" horse didnt cost more than most current day mortgages.... more of a limiting factor than being a "proficient rider"

I dont braid for B or C but we also have B and C shows around here that state "no braiding" on the prize list (I think to encourage more local people to show).
    Exactly. Nowadays nine times out of ten who is or is not able to compete at 3'6" has nothing to do with "rider proficiency".

If you decide to braid, please make sure the braids are beautiful! IMO, it's close to the worst thing possible to be the only one braided and to have poorly done braids to boot!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Mayaty, After a hiatus from showing, I was shocked to go to Short Circuit shows and see all the unbraided ponies. I like braids, unless it is a show where you aren't expected to wear a jacket and choker. Maybe call someone else who has done this show?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

well it's the December Hunter Classic in MD, Gary Baker's show... if anyone has experience with this show, let me know! I thought we were sending kids the first day who could report back but they aren't going, so we're going in blind

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Mayaty, After a hiatus from showing, I was shocked to go to Short Circuit shows and see all the unbraided ponies. I like braids, unless it is a show where you aren't expected to wear a jacket and choker. Maybe call someone else who has done this show?
    There was even an unbraided horse in the short stirrup division at Warrenton this summer. I was pretty surprised. We only did manes because our braider ran out of time to do tails and I thought we looked sloppy, until I saw that pair!

Just ask around, regardless of personal preference, the kidlet will not want to be the only one that is different in the Childrens Pony and SS classes.

Most people do not braid for anything under A shows or even warm up/unrated classes at AA level. I only braided at AAs-mane only on jump day, mane and tail in the 3' Adults. Nothing for just a schooling class day.

Without going into lengthy lectures, please, many people don't know how or don't have the time since the horse is not kept anywhere near them and it is $$$ to pay a braider.

Like it or not, that's part of it. I can't braid my way out of a feed sack and am done with show prep at 4am after a 2 hour drive but could afford the braider...just did not want to be the only one and went with the flow. Didn't mind not paying the braider either.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Here's my take on it - if you can do the braiding yourself and do a decent job at it , and you've got the time and inclination to braid - go for it. If you have to pay someone to braid for you - skip it.