The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Canter auction?

Hi - the last two years i have seen posts on here for the Canter Mid Atlantic Auction of goodies.... is that not happening this year? I thought it was right around this time of year and great for gift giving!!

Nope, sorry!

You can blame me, I usually manhandle it and all the accounting/emailing/solicitation/etc but there was no way I had time to do it this year with kiddo coming

However, if I understand correctly there are a few hours left in the amazing FIVE STAR TACK sale which benefits us, along with several other totally worthy groups (Mid Atlantic Horse Rescue and New Vocations).

*grin*

You know, if you needed some enabling to buy beautiful, high quality leather products
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Bummer! already have more bridles than I need, and they don't offer pony sizes so I can't be tempted! Oh well, maybe next year

Doggone it! I made extra salsa, jam and spiced pears to donate!
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Darn! I had a bunch of stuff to donate too.

But congrats about impending motherhood!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

We have a couple other things here and there too, I think we might do an abbreviated version via ebay. But we have a glitch with the missionfish thing at the moment so that mucks up direct payments to the org (always something).
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I want salsa, jam and goodies!!! Keep us posted if you decide to do something on ebay or some such.

add me to the bummed out list. I look forward every year to bidding on ETBW food, even though I NEVER win

In February Special Horses will be running the "Repeat Offender Trash or Treasure Auction" and CANTER will be one of the participating groups. Any donations to Special Horses for this auction are tax deductible. And we'll be happy to receive items at any time, so you can choose to get your tax receipt for this year's taxes, or next!

The Trash or Treasure Auction takes on all items - they need not be horsey, just something appealing to at least someone - one person's trash is another person's treasure! We had a range of items in value for the last auction (and always will, so all can bid, and win!).
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

But they can just donate directly to CANTER-why go "through" special horses? Does CANTER receive all the funds or are funds divided among groups? If CANTER receives all the funds why bother going through another entity? There is no reason to do so. And in light of the history why would a person want to work with special horses at all?

Or is there some sort of way donations to CANTER are matched or otherwise increased by using your group as a pass through entity?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

There is a huge amount of effort that goes into running an auction. CANTER has indicated they greatly appreciate help with fundraising and administration of the auction so that they can concentrate on helping rehome and rehabilitate OTTBs, and they have been very appreciative of the efforts of Special Horses on their behalf. People are free to donate how and where they please; the above post was purely to provide information about a fundraising option. And of course, any proceeds from any item designated for CANTER will go to CANTER.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

That is not an answer.

It does not appear that one needs to donate via Special Horses in order to give CANTER a gift. It appears you intend your org to be used as a pass through entity. Which is fine in theory. So how is Special Horses funded if you do not take a cut? Or do you take a cut? Or does funding for operations come from somewhere else? Does Special Horses have some sort of matching gift or other program that increases the amount of the gift going to CANTER? What advantage is there to using Special Horses when one can simply donate directly to CANTER? Which entity issues the tax receipt?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling