The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Retirement = "they all get nail guns to the head"??

Just shocked and taken back at what the NYC Carriage Industry has to put up with people saying.

"Founder from sideways nails" and "that when the horses retire, they all get nail guns in their heads"????

What upsets me the most is that the general public hears this and with no equine professionals stepping in or against this drivel it becomes their "facts" and "truths"

http://chanceplus1.com/ny-carriage-h...y-dead-horses/
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Heck, there are pro horsemen like Robert Dover who SUPPORT and ENDORSE this nonsense.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Heck, there are pro horsemen like Robert Dover who SUPPORT and ENDORSE this nonsense.
    Or Parelli, the HSUS horseman of the year one year.
    Better men had the decency of declining the honor.

^this is not a phenomenon limited to the carriage industry.

All industries deal with that type of misinformation. The things people believe about the industry I work in defy reason. They are repeated every day, even sometimes on COTH!

Not all people are capable of being educated, and many people simply do not WANT to be educated. Any industry must choose which battles are worth fighting. The more extreme the commenter, the more benefit you gain from letting them go on record with ridiculous statements. Those types generally dig their own holes.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by rugbygirl View Post
    ^this is not a phenomenon limited to the carriage industry.

All industries deal with that type of misinformation. The things people believe about the industry I work in defy reason. They are repeated every day, even sometimes on COTH!

Not all people are capable of being educated, and many people simply do not WANT to be educated. Any industry must choose which battles are worth fighting. The more extreme the commenter, the more benefit you gain from letting them go on record with ridiculous statements. Those types generally dig their own holes.
    That is true, ask attorneys.

Would you believe Carly Knudson gets paid $70k/year to say this nonsense? And neither she nor her co-worker Allie Feldman know ANYTHING about horses (obviously). The NY-CLASSists wonder why they can find no horse experts to back them up.

And the bit about Chance the "rescue" horse is all fraud. Scroll down to "Chance, the rescue horse who wasn't" at http://www.Equiculture.org/NYC-position-statement.aspx

Not that I want to defend these idiots but presumably they are referring to a captive bolt. I imagine some of them do end up among the 100,000 plus slaughtered each year. No reason to single them out however.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Not that I want to defend these idiots but presumably they are referring to a captive bolt. I imagine some of them do end up among the 100,000 plus slaughtered each year. No reason to single them out however.
    They don't end up there direct from the industry, though. And just as it would be unreasonable to hold any other equine professional responsible for every horse they'd ever laid hands on for the rest of those horses' lives, when all effort had been made not to sell to kill buyers. Since when was it a crime to sell a horse, especially when that horse is not right for the job, and the home wasn't right for the horse? And for the horses that are truly retired and not merely being rehomed with a new career elsewhere, they most certainly do get what one thinks of when one says "retirement home."

No nail guns involved. Or captive bolt. That Miss Knudson can't be bothered with professional terminology is pretty revealing.

The industry leadership must contact every media outlet that repeats these lies and demand retractions or threaten a libel suit.

According to the website, this is where NYC Carriage Horses go when they retire:
    http://www.equiculture.org/
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    According to the website, this is where NYC Carriage Horses go when they retire:
    http://www.equiculture.org/
    Indeed it is - though owners always have the choice of retiring horses on their own property, if they have a farm, or with any private home of their choice. They always have the option of Blue Star, though.

The industry leadership must contact every media outlet that repeats these lies and demand retractions or threaten a libel suit.
    I really hope you're not in Public Relations. That's a terrible idea.

If "the industry" wants to change the viewpoint, they need to focus on the value of the carriages and the high quality of life of the animals. Not attacking the effigies offered by the ignorant.

Actually, I'm a journalist, and none of my editors would ever let me get away with such a one-sided view of any issue. These ARE libelous statements. The segment lets Carly make a statement about how carriage horses all get a nail gun to the head (something she knows is untrue) and the reporter or media outlet doesn't bother to check out this outrageous statement with the carriage horse association?

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    and the reporter or media outlet doesn't bother to check out this outrageous statement with the carriage horse association?
    That seems to be the rule these days - not limited to just the carriage horse issue.

Makes my eyes bleed.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

As far as I could tell, the quoted link is some kind of tabloid?

I definitely don't have high expectations for journalism when the Header of a "news" site has Celebrity Gossip listed before World.

Well, it will not be long before carriiage horse owners in places other than NYC will be facing the same kinds of lies, misinformation and nonsense put forth by Carly of NY-CLASS and groups such as WAR (Win Animal Rights), PETA, ASPCA, HSUS and Horses Without Carriages International (my personal "favorate" of the anti-carriage horse crazies.

On their FB page called NO Walk in the Park, Forel of Horses Without . . . just announced the formation of local chapters in Seoul, Soul Korea and Salt Lake City, UT.There are already other chapters of this anti-carriage horse group in several US cities as well as in Europe and the UK.

These groups are expert at getting the "word" out, meaning spreading their LIES about the NYC carriage horse owners and drivers.They will not stop with just NYC. Their avowed goal is to emiminate ALL use of horses to pull carriages, wagons, carts, etc. And if the pleasure drivers, the show drivers and the CDE drivers think they will not eventually be targeted, they have their heads in a haystack somewhere in Never Neverland.

I have been following these radicals' vindictive foolishness for about six years now, but I have to say the "sideways nails" that make carraige horses afraid of farriers and the "retirement by nail gun to the head" are among the worst LIES I have heard these people spout.

But mark my word- Just because we as horse owners KNOW this stuff is just unbelievable and off-the-wall, don't think that John Q. Public hears it, and understands how untrue or outrageous these statements are.

This is the same all over the world. Someone spouts off some libelous slander and half the people will believe it. It is in politics and religon and
    the Horse world.
    People will slander someone and even when it is an out and out lie, people will believe it.
    So yes the above mentioned lie is just as bad. So how is it countered?
    A person can deny it but it falls on deaf ears. People want to hear "dirt".
    So they will listen to this kind of Krapola.
    It only takes a couple of people doing this to destroy someone's good reputation. I have never seen a carriage horse with harness sores or bleeding feet like some of these "Animal Activists" claim. But once it is said, it is out there. So how to defend against these kinds of lies?
    I do not know.
    Why do the carriage drivers have to defend themselves against people who lie? Did the person saying this have eyewitness evidence? I doubt it.
    What defense is there in a case like this?
    JMHo
    sadlmakr

The only defense is a libel suit, but libel is hard to prove. However, there is hope - look at the thread regarding Ringling Bros and elephants.

Like Oh My God! So this Carly is like what the valley girls* totally are like when they like get old and move east because they are totally not like 'cool' anymore and you know the boys won't look at them anymore so girls like that have to like make up these lies like about how the horses are like mistreated so people will listen to them because people are like morbid you know and even if like they know its like a lie they will still listen because people like horror stories you know?

*Archaic term - pick any definition http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=valley%20girl

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Like Oh My God! So this Carly is like what the valley girls* totally are like when they like get old and move east because they are totally not like 'cool' anymore and you know the boys won't look at them anymore so girls like that have to like make up these lies like about how the horses are like mistreated so people will listen to them because people are like morbid you know and even if like they know its like a lie they will still listen because people like horror stories you know?

*Archaic term - pick any definition http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=valley%20girl

that was liek so totally liek awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett