The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ridden with Gary Rockwell?

So I just got a last minute invite to ride with Gary Rockwell this weekend. Anything in particular I need to know about riding with him?

I have never ridden with him. However, I did ride in a show that was judged by him and felt he was extremely knowledgeable. Please do not interpret this remark to mean he was "easy." Au contraire! I think that if I had the opportunity to ride, I would do it...this coming from a person who as a rule does not ride with anyone who I have not seen teach before.

I did a YR's clinic at the USET with him right after his big success with Suna...so mid 90's. It was similar to all the other clinics (Dover, Schumacher, Ransehousen, etc.) we did back then.

I'd go for the usual stuff - clean, tidy, listen closely to his advice and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    I have never ridden with him. However, I did ride in a show that was judged by him and felt he was extremely knowledgeable. Please do not interpret this remark to mean he was "easy." Au contraire! I think that if I had the opportunity to ride, I would do it...this coming from a person who as a rule does not ride with anyone who I have not seen teach before.
    It's really funny, because I had a couple rides under him at championships about a month ago, so it'll be interesting to get his feedback.

Yes, at the time it was very helpful. He really made sure I understood how to ride half halt to half halt on a hot horse.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I think he used to study with Karl Mikolka, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Let me know how it goes! I've ridden under him a few times and sat with him, sitting with him was a wonderful experience. He was the type of judge that I thought after, "Hmm, I bet he would be good to ride with." I've been curious about him as an instructor, and he is on my possible clinician list Good luck and let us know!

He's a VERY good teacher if you want to learn and will listen and act upon what he says. No long excuses as to why not to do what he's asking!

He's very much about being fair to the horse. I like him a great deal. He does have a rather dry sense of humor...

Enjoy!

I really enjoyed riding with Gary. He would come out to my trainer's farm about every month so I was able to ride with him plenty as well as hang out over meals. He is a generous coach and pushes you to get the most out of the horse. He has no issues with breed types (I have very tense eventing TBs). Great sense of humor.

One time he was working one of my trainer's horses. She had gone back to the barn while her husband and I hung out by the ring chatting with Gary while he rode. I noted this by saying, "This is a American record! This has to be the only time when there are only men watching and discussing dressage." Gary got a serious kick out of that comment.

Reed

Default Gary is a close friend of mine

Has been for over 40 years. We shared an indoor arena for about 12 years and although I am a hunter rider primarily, he worked with an older horse of mine through Prix St. Georges. He is a very knowledgeable horseman, very observant and communicative. He also has a great dry sense of humor. Hope you enjoy the clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    He's a VERY good teacher if you want to learn and will listen and act upon what he says. No long excuses as to why not to do what he's asking!

He's very much about being fair to the horse. I like him a great deal. He does have a rather dry sense of humor...

Enjoy!
    No problems there. I'm a trainer (specializing in young horse training) and I'm taking the only mature riding horse I have left, a PSG mare who's schooling GP. I love to learn, and if it's a good instructor, my body tends to act on what they're saying without having to think.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinston View Post
    Has been for over 40 years. We shared an indoor arena for about 12 years and although I am a hunter rider primarily, he worked with an older horse of mine through Prix St. Georges. He is a very knowledgeable horseman, very observant and communicative. He also has a great dry sense of humor. Hope you enjoy the clinic.
    I am a hunter person too. I was at a farm where Gary rode and taught when he was in the Westchester NY area some years ago. I feel that he was everything MrWinston wrote above. I really enjoyed watching him ride...

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post

Enjoy!
    Yes to this. I learned some lasting stuff with him, long ago- before he became an "O" judge. I imagine he's even better now!