The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clinic Attire Question

I am really finding it hard to get into boots. As many of you know, I broke my foot pretty badly (lisfranc fracture) earlier this year. The problem I'm having is that I can barely squeeze my foot into a lace-up paddock boot, let alone a dress boot, due to the fact that my arch was set pretty high to allow it to fuse the way the surgeon wanted. I'm having a devil of a time finding boots that have enough room for not only the higher arch, but the arch support I'm dependent on to avoid huge amounts of pain while walking. I do want to start doing clinics this summer, so would it be appropriate for me to use paddock boots and half chaps? I'd also really love boot recs (under $200 if possible) that have a ton of arch room if anyone knows of any. Or am I going to need to just give up and move into the realms of men's boots?

Well, since half chaps are now allowed at lower levels in dressage shows, it sure shouldn't be a problem to ride in them at a clinic. If you don't have half chaps already, get a leather pair that closely matches your paddock boots and off you go!

I can't imagine a clinician would say anything, but if he/she does, well, you've got an great explanation anyway!
    Sorry, no suggestions on boots...other than perhaps customs?

Try getting semi customs with zippers, I used A.M. Kroop in Laurel, MD
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

I wouldn't worry about it. Clinicians are generally more concerned with how well you listen and how hard you try than with what you're wearing.

Charles de Kunffy was at our barn a little while ago for a clinic. One of the riders rode in (clean) paddock boots and half chaps. If Charles noticed, he didn't say so.
    Proud Member of the Social Justice Crazy Clique

Yes. Really no problem doing clinics in half chaps, even when they were not 'dressage legal'. This is not a show, it is a clinic. Wear whatever is more comfortable to you.

I once did a dressage clinic with a GP rider with my light brown portuguese half chaps and paddock boots.http://www.charles-de-nevel.com/i/pk...1100000407.jpg
    http://www.charles-de-nevel.com/i/pk...1100000264.jpg
    (My regular pair of dressage boots were broken)
    He didn't care, didn't asked why. I had a great lesson!

On the other hand, he really disliked the overly bling blinged browband on someone else's bridle and mentioned it wasn't really appropriate for this combo since the horse was bopping is head so much...

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    I am really finding it hard to get into boots. As many of you know, I broke my foot pretty badly (lisfranc fracture) earlier this year. The problem I'm having is that I can barely squeeze my foot into a lace-up paddock boot, let alone a dress boot, due to the fact that my arch was set pretty high to allow it to fuse the way the surgeon wanted. I'm having a devil of a time finding boots that have enough room for not only the higher arch, but the arch support I'm dependent on to avoid huge amounts of pain while walking. I do want to start doing clinics this summer, so would it be appropriate for me to use paddock boots and half chaps? I'd also really love boot recs (under $200 if possible) that have a ton of arch room if anyone knows of any. Or am I going to need to just give up and move into the realms of men's boots?
    Ariat makes paddock boots with lace up fronts, elastic gussets and a zip up the back all on one boot.
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-...x?cm_vc=Search

I like being able to lace them for the support I need but can get in and out of them easily with the back zip.
    I had a different break, a tri malleolus fracture
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

have you tried removing the footbed? I was just fitted for (tall) boots and the fitter pulled the soles out of all the boots because I have a high arch/instep as well. after the break in period I'll probably end up putting the insoles back in, but that should create some extra space. Ovation is my go-to brand for paddocks, cheap, good quality and fit my weird foot conformation.