The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default on EN: a Novice dressage test with Mike Plumb (updated with 2nd mare video #18)

In case anyone here hasn't seen this yet...

A Novice Dressage Test with J. Michael Plumb

I posted a video of my mare Niina's first Novice dressage, with the great Mike Plumb providing voice-over commentary. Andrea St. Hilaire-Glenn does the riding. A fine job by both.

This was a huge treat for me in so many ways:

1. Mike's comments gave me a lot to think about.

2. My 5YO mare is no longer looking like a yearling (mine mature very slowly).

3. I have proof that I can breed a horse that can keep it together through an entire dressage test! I don't care whether it's Novice or Advanced; to me it's just mind-blowing that this can happen.

4. I should mention that while Niina was near the top after dressage and finished 2nd, on her dressage score, her older sister Zizi carried on the family tradition of earning last place in dressage. That's the video you're not seeing. I suspect the language would be NSFW.

Also, Niina can jump -- with style, too.

Last edited by JER; Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM.

Yes, I saw that! Very nicely done and interesting!
    Last edited by riderboy; Nov. 30, 2011 at 06:01 AM.

Nice mare, JER. You deserve to be proud of your breeding program. Is this the one you're hoping will work for you? She looks really sweet as well as talented.

Cute mare. Seems like she has a nice mind too.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    Nice mare, JER. You deserve to be proud of your breeding program. Is this the one you're hoping will work for you? She looks really sweet as well as talented.
    Niina is very sweet and easy. So when I get on her, I'm totally out of sorts! The other three -- Dekorum, the 6YO Zizi and their mother -- I know how to ride.

The one I bred for myself is Zizi. She's my personal favourite, although she's quite a handful. She might be the most athletic horse I've ever sat on.

I'll be breeding both mares for ETs in the spring for the next gen of, hopefully, mares.

I like to work with my homebreds as youngsters but would rather send them to other people for competition, given my geographical constraints. And I have an exciting 3YO TB project here at home as well as a nice large pony, so I have plenty of riding to do.

That was really informative to watch, thanks for posting!

Off to wipe the drool off my keyboard . . . What a lovely horse.
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

Oh, come on JER. Be a sport and let us see Zizi's video. Pretty please....

Honestly though, watching this was like getting a private lesson from Mr. Plumb. Wow... Totally way stinking cool! I never thought of the rail as a "safe" place, but it makes sense. I suspect that I'll rewatch Niina's video lots of times and look for all the little details that are so blatantly obvious to those of you with many more years of horse and dressage experience than me. Thanks so much for sharing. This absolutely made my night.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Loved the video, lots of great input by Mr. Plumb! Niina, love her floppy ears throughout the test, such a nice mare!

She actually looks a lot like my trainers' homebred TB mares. I'm sorry I don't have their lines off the top of my head, but sensible brains with lots of jump and a nice bouncy canter (I can barely sit the youngest's!). This is Delta (youngest of the 3 sisters) at her first Novice:
    http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.co...v1k0532_3_94_7

Wow...Niina CAN jump! What a fantastic picture! I loved the video. Thanks for sharing it...and thanks to Mr. Plumb for the narration. Very good points (especially about USING the rail...the horse wants to use it as a crutch and it can help keep you straight out of turns...nice tip!).

Love your horses, JER.

Really enjoyed the vid and also found Mike's narrative to be informative. Mostly loved the pic of Nina and the statue. Those are the moments that open my heart and let the joy of life in.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Oh, come on JER. Be a sport and let us see Zizi's video. Pretty please....
    If it exists, I haven't seen it. I think it got filed under Don't Show the Owner.

You have to understand that these mares don't like to be told what to do. At all. Zizi always has her own agenda, which rarely includes things like 'Halt at X.'

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Niina, love her floppy ears throughout the test, such a nice mare!
    Yes. The ears really stood out. Relaxed and tuned-in to the rider.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmare View Post
    Mostly loved the pic of Nina and the statue.
    Niina was very fond of him. She called out to him all weekend. She was puzzled by his lack of response but she didn't let it affect their friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Nicely written as well, have you taken writing lessons?
    No formal lessons, as all the coaches around here write in Canadian and I'm not very fluent in that particular language. But I get lots of practice on the internet. Not really ready to make a career of it yet, though.

I'm afraid Nina's first relationship reminds me of most of mine.
    Sigh.

A little late to the party, but thanks for making the video of Niina with Mike's comments available.

She's a lovely horse, and I predict she'll exceed expectations as she matures. Congrats, JER. Your breeding program is an inspiration.

And I really enjoyed hearing Mike's voice again. He used to reside here in Area ! during the summers (as a matter of fact, he lived on this farm long before we owned it), and was a fixture at all of the major and many minor events. A quick comment from him would make your day by improving what you were doing (or maybe eviscerate you if you deserved it) . I still treasure the time he complimented me on a stadium round: I wasn't his client, had never ridden at a clinic with him, and I remember being floored that he actually knew my name besides the fact that I received a compliment!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Loved this - thanks Lovely mare JER.

I hope he might do this again at some point. And boy, do I wish he would visit Area 1 again. Miss that voice - - when he made those rail comments & the 'pretty good' - I was whisked back to my last lesson with him.

Okay, so the other video -- of DFL Zizi -- actually exists. It's just not uploaded yet.

I hear it's 'not that bad, really' but IMO, any day my horses are happy and healthy is a good day. That's all I ask for. Dressage scores are just for fun.

When I get it, I'll post a link.

A little note about breeding: Nina's sire, Heroicity, was a racehorse. Won over $1M in Australia. Nina's half-sister's, Dekorum and Zizi, are by stallions who competed at FEI levels in dressage. Wouldn't you know it's the 100% racing-bred TB that stays quiet in the dressage ring?

(Also, thanks for all the nice comments. )

Andrea is a lovely rider and person. She wouldn't remember me but she used to kick my butt in the local shows on her pony. Leant me garters at finals one year when we were both in jods!

Zizi's dressage test (sorry, no sound on this one)

Zizi is 6, one year older than Niina, out of the same TB mare. The similarities end there.

Zizi is 1/2 TB, 1/2 Akhal-Teke, by the stallion Super Star.

Zizi is more typical of her family in dressage. It will take a while to convince her to work through and over her back but the results will eventually impress. I have no complaints at all about her XC or jumping -- she's got a huge jump and a great brain.

Two more things:

1. Andrea deserves a lot of credit for the riding here. This mare requires a very responsive rider.

2. Zizi is only 14.2hh or so. Pony card material. But you can't tell, and I think Andrea is about 5'8".

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Wouldn't you know it's the 100% racing-bred TB that stays quiet in the dressage ring?
    With all the hoopla racing TB's see, a couple spectators and a wee lil judges stand are nothing in comparison. OK, that thought holds up better for OTTB's than for their offspring, but maybe Lamarck was onto something??

VERY NICE!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim