The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Can I Ask For Some Stray Kitty Jingles?

Our dump has a resident unneutered male Siamese cat. Has lived at the dump for over 12 years. Old, ratty, & semi-feral. While he's sired dozens (probably hundreds) of kittens there, about 2 months ago a kitten appeared at his side that is the spitting Siamese image of him - without the rattiness.

Since Siamese are my most favorite cat breed in the world & I haven't owned one since the 1970's (which was an adopted stray), I asked the dump people if I could try to trap the kitten & give it a good "for life" home. They said they'd have to think it over. (I don't know what there was to think about. Kitty stretched out on my bed, eating nutritious food, getting regular medical care versus living outside at the dump. But whatever.)

Hubby & I go to the dump Friday & the dump people inform us that kitten accidentally climbed into the cardboard recycling dumpster & was taken to the recycling center across town!!!! Dumpster driver saw kitten get dumped & take off. Dump people are inconsolable, so I did not give them the "I told you so" that I wanted to. I go home & e-mail the recycling center, give them the story, & ask if I can set some traps there. Kind animal-loving center owner gives me permission, & even volunteers that she has seen the kitten I'm talking about!!

So this morning hubby took off from work & we visited Tractor Supply where, $60 later, we came out with 2 Hav-a-Heart traps, some canned cat food, food bowls, & a 40# bag of dry cat food as a donation for the band of recycling center cats that the owner feeds regularly. Set the 2 traps with stinky canned cat food, & promised owner that I will be back every morning & evening to check said traps & release whatever critters I'm sure will be in there.

Hubby claims that I will most likely catch everything that loves dumps EXCEPT for the Siamese kitten. Things like huge rats, raccoons, possums, skunk, & every other cat on the premises. So early tomorrow morning, & every morning thereafter, with thick heavy-duty gloves & my medical insurance card in hand, I will be off to the dump to check traps.

Wish me luck & keep your fingers crossed that some kitty guardian angel will guide this poor little lost soul my way.

(Oh, & needless to say if I trap any other kitties young enough to rehab, I'll be paying their way thru the vet & home.)

mad MAD jingles!!!!

When you catch him, are you going call him Dumpy?

The one and only time I trapped a feral kitten, it only took about 45 minutes between putting the trap out and catching her, so hopefully your experience will be similar.

Of course, my kitties and I will be sending major jingles your way! Thank you for having such a kind, caring heart.

My formerly feral kitten is now a cuddly lap cat.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster

I've gotta say that you've gotta love a husband who doesn't blink an eye at a $60+ bill at Tractor Supply to trap another cat - & a feral one at that - that we don't need - lol!

And then comes with you to set the traps!!! Talk about a keeper.

Kudos to DH and to you do. Love Siamese types also! My favorite kittens
    to foster and finally kept one a few years ago.

Paws all crossed to you that he sees the light and hops in the trap!

Paws crossed from me and my 3 Meezers here. Good luck!

Huge jingles headed your and young kitty's way

Big jingles. Hope you catch little Siamese kitty.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Original Poster

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's trap inspection. Will probably be disappointed, but will carry on. I understand that current rabies shots aren't as painful as they used to be - lol!

DH and I set Hav-a-Heart traps for a PITA skunk on our property last year and all we ever caught was our own cat, several days in a row, so, I'd say chances are good that you'll catch a kitty .

Good luck!!

Bless you and kind DH for doing this for poor dumpster kitty....you're right- you found a good man. Fingers crossed that you catch DK!

I keep trying to trap a feral male to have him neutered (will release him back on the farm) All I ever catch are possums and the feral female that I already had spayed. I think she realizes that its worth a few hours in the trap for some good food. The possums are too stupid to realize whats going on. I open the trap and can come back 30 minutes later and they are still in there. I have to actually poke them with a stick to get them to leave.

Good luck and I hope your kitten is caught quickly.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Original Poster

The Kitty Diaries – Day One

What’s worse than scrambling around a junkyard? Scrambling around a wet junkyard. Of course, Day One begins with one of the hardest, driving rains I’ve seen in some time. The kind of rain that blows in sideways so no matter how you’re dressed, you’re still soaking wet.

After checking in with the friendly recycling center owner and her husband, trudged through the downpour to check my traps – heavy leather gloves, towel, and new can of cat food in hand. Big trap was unsprung, but cat food was eaten, so I reset the trigger to be a little more sensitive. Little trap was sprung, cat food was eaten, no critter in residence, but trap was upended and banged up a bit – remember the shark cage in “Jaws”?

Recycling owners told me they saw my kitty last night, along with two “friends”, sitting on the steps of the sleazy apartment building next door (this is definitely NOT a good neighborhood), so I moved both traps up against the dilapidated stockade fence separating the apartments from a falling-apart abandoned house and the recycling center. Hopefully I’ll catch that darn cat before someone from the apartments spies the traps and absconds with them. I’ll be really pissed if I have to shell out another $40 for more Hav-a-Hearts!

If it stops raining I’ll go back later today (although this ain’t a place you want to be after dark), but if the rain continues I’ll wait until tomorrow morning since I’m pretty sure all kitties will be under cover somewhere during this deluge.

Oh the anticipation!

Good luck! I hope Day Two does the trick.

Default jingles

Jingles from my two meezers and I!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Did you test the trigger to be sure it isn't either too hard to trip or hair trigger?
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Original Poster

Yup - re-adjusted both this morning.

Good luck !! Looking forward to what happens next!!