The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How Often do you update your website?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monthly or More

44 75.86%
  • Approx 2-3 times/year

10 17.24%
  • Yearly, usually after foaling or after weaning

3 5.17%
  • I put it up in 2001 and haven't since.

1 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mild Vent: Regarding Websites/Updating

I found a gorgeous horse for sale today. Was sooo excited.. everything on my bucket list almost. Then I looked him up on the registry database, and based on his date of birth, the sales page listing him as 5 yo, well.. he was born in 2001. It is so frustrating to see out of date websites. So I will rant here a little (don't worry, I have no intention of calling the farm and screaming at them for getting my hopes up). And then wonder.. How often do you update your website?

I keep it updated and put updated pictures of the babies as they grow up (if I get them from their owners of course ;-).
    My news section is also a little bit of a blog for those that know me/past clients and know my horses and want to keep up to date with what is happening.
    I put the date of my latest blog on the main page so it's a quick check to see if I've updated things.
    I'm with you: I hate out of date websites!!!
    Véronique
    www.FormosusSporthorses.ca
    Like us on Facebook

I agree, I dont have a website, I am a college student that works full time and competes. I have enough on my plate as it is. But when people have websites that are not updated like the one above, I can't really take them seriously. This is the 21st century whether everyone likes it or not, and a website that is up to date is going to be more successful than one that has a 2001 5 year old. Hopefully that horse isnt still for sale... or maybe it is.

I didn't even call and ask lol. I figured he probably isn't. And if he is, there is probably a reason haha

You need another answer... I update as I need to (or have my web designer update), which sometimes is monthly, sometimes is several times in a month (poor girl) or it might be a couple of months that it goes....

What we have been trying to do is keep a current photo/s of each horse (esp those that are for sale/babies) up on the website and we try to have language in the mare's pages that we don't "have" to update all the time. For the stallion, we change out competition photos occassionally, ditto videos, and when we get updated baby photos we might change out one of those photos... The babies/horses for sale we update as they change and as we get current photos that suit what they are being aimed for or growth stage. In the between times, Facebook gets a ton more photos and updates on a daily/weekly basis.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I update often, at least a few times a month. I try to have current photos of the youngsters and the horses who have grown up and are showing. I keep the News page updated regularly as well.
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Visit our website: Gift Hill Farm and on Facebook

The information pages tend not to get updated more than once or twice a year, but I try and keep the foals/young horses updated with current pictures (within three months) and video links. The FB page gets the 'chatty' updates and more casual photos.

But I do my own website. If you have set up your website where you can't update it yourself, I think that must be very hard and very frustrating too.

Monica is in the process of designing a new website for us, so right now I am editing every day it seems! The advent and popularity of FaceBook have meant that our "News" section is less frequently tended now, however, and she has been so busy with designing and managing the FaceBook pages and websites of others that our Newsletter is woefully late. Be that as it may, we always post a SOLD or UNDER CONTRACT sign where relevant as soon as it is appropriate.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Several times a month for mine! Just got a new one done and am trying to learn everything so I can do the updates myself. Bit of a learning curve but I need to lock myself in a room for a few hours and figure it all out so I can do 100% of it when it needs to be done!

I try my best to keep the horses for sale page current. Same with videos on youtube. But I do our website so updates are easy.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Several times a month for mine! Just got a new one done and am trying to learn everything so I can do the updates myself. Bit of a learning curve but I need to lock myself in a room for a few hours and figure it all out so I can do 100% of it when it needs to be done!
    Your new site looks fabulous by the way!! We have someone who manages our site for us. We send her new stuff to add when ever we get it. Honestly we havnt had 'past foals' on our site BUT we will soon!! Its getting everything together! Promise soon! Current pics and video links people get sent though our Newsletter (monthly) or on our fb like 2x a day hahahah

OMG don't get me started or a may just lose my mind.... At the moment I am considering just being horseless rather than ever shop for a horse again.

I wasn't sure what to tick off. In the summer I update several times per month, as the babies are born and grow, and the mares are bred etc.
    Between October and late April, I may update once or twice, as required.
    And I am guilty of not updating my broodmares' bios - must do before the next breeding season.
    So, I just ticked 2-3 times per year - though accurately it would say 2-3 times per month, May through September, 2 or 3 times October through April.

I try to update as needed. In other words, when I have a new one for sale, have sold one, foals are born, and when there are things that need to be reported.

I do confess that this last year I was very remiss about updates, because I had a series of losses that knocked me for a loop. I could not face the website for about 6 months. I confess to being human.

I was quick to reply to inquiries, though. Especially the ones that were for foals that I had lost.

I update it regularly and add the date of the last update in my signature line on here.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I do my own (well, I use a web builder tool to simplify it). I agree with the comments, you need an option for "as needed". I seldom update pictures in the Winter months, as the youngsters are hairy and dirty, but the rest of the year, updates may be monthly, or even more often. I do try to update for a "sold" horse within a few days of the sale finalizing - but it can take a week or two or even longer for a sale to actually go through (scheduling a PPE, sometimes waiting for the buyer's "home" vet to do a 2nd review, etc). So yes, sometimes a potential buyer will contact me and be disappointed because a horse is "on hold" pending sale.

I totally agree with OP's frustration about websites that are years out of date - I've seen more then a few of those. Actually wonder if some of them are breeders who have retired, and paid for their domain for 10 years, so you have a "dead" website sitting out there?

Another thing I've noticed is many breeders are using Facebook and other media for updates because it is easier and faster (especially if they have to pay everytime an update is made).

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Another thing I've noticed is many breeders are using Facebook and other media for updates because it is easier and faster (especially if they have to pay everytime an update is made).
    Which is GREAT if you make a note of it on your website. There are also other options for designing a website, such as having a generic page for sale horses and a link to a online photo album or youtube channel that is kept up to date, that way you don't have to always be updating the actual site.

Like I once mentioned, I actually offered to help breeders with their websites for free when I got the "no time/no ability" excuse. But of course none took me up on it, because it's really no excuse at all. Especially when you can find time to go to Europe horse shopping, go to Florida horse showing, yet don't have time to take any pictures or video of horses for sale or update your website...

I was just looking at a stallion's page a few weeks ago, a breeding stallion. He was looking interesting until I realized that the data, INCLUDING stud fee, shows, dates on contract, etc., were all from 2009. That stallion lost all consideration from me. If they can't update a website in 3 years, how will they be shipping semen?

Even if nothing at all has changed and your stud fee is the same as last year, it really gives a better impression to mare owners to have the correct year on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    If they can't update a website in 3 years, how will they be shipping semen?
    I wouldn't worry about that personnally, so many people are horrible at anything marketing... Especially horse people.

But I would be turned off by having to call to learn basic infos, such as the current stud fee.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    OMG don't get me started or a may just lose my mind.... At the moment I am considering just being horseless rather than ever shop for a horse again.
    are you looking for a new horse? what about bugz?