The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Men's Riding Boots

I've been slowly but surely teaching my SO how to ride. I've gotten him a helmet and he can walk and post the trot pretty well on my horse (who's definitely not beginner-friendly, so I've got to give some credit to both my SO and my horse for being good sports).

Since he really seems to enjoy it and wants to learn more, and since sneakers aren't the safest of riding shoes, I thought I might get him a pair of riding boots for Christmas. His goals include learning how to canter and how to jump. I think he might also enjoy doing the galloping portion of our conditioning work. He maintains that he never-ever wants to show or wear riding breeches.

He seems like he wants proper paddock boots and half chaps like what I wear, but I don't think I have the money to get him some Ariats. I also don't know if zip-ups fit as well as lace-ups? I

That being said, does anyone have recommendations for brands and models of men's riding boots that fit this bill? TIA!

My BF is a casual rider and he LOVES his Blundstones. They are not cheap (about $150) but he wears them for more than just riding and each pair has lasted him years. They are good all-around farm or country shoes. They are pull-on, very comfortable and look more masculine than some.

He also wears half chaps but his calf is so skinny and tall that the only ones that fit him are Grand Prix half chaps (which also are not the least expensive). I think that half chaps really have to be tried on to know if they height/girth ratio works for the person.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

My feet are way too big for any official "paddock" boots made by Ariat or whomever. I have custom tall boots but I won't spend the money for custom paddock boots to ride in at home. For all my schooling rides I have a pair of Western style lace up boots, I think they are these:

http://www.justinboots.com/boots/Rop...product_id=555

Some of the western lace up boots come with a little fringe insert thingie but they are usually removeable

I just wear them with half chaps

Mudroom! THANK YOU for that link! My hubby has just started riding and he wears a size 14!! We have asked multiple tack shops about options for him and they just tell us he needs to get something custom. That's not really realistic for the beginner rider. He has half chaps and wears those with gym shoes which are less than ideal. As it is, we had to buy a saddle that fit him (none of mine worked at_all since I am 5'3" and he is 6'4").