The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lost my horse of 22 years on Wednesday...

Thought I'd turn to my COTH friends for some emotional support for this. Wednesday morning turned into one of my worst days. My horse, Camelot, had to be put down due to internal bleeding and shock. I didn't really have any time to prepare for it - he went downhill so fast that from the onset of symptoms to the decision to euthanize was less than 2 hours.

My parents bought Camelot for me 22 years ago when I was 15. He was purchased from the late Jim Culleton. Some people are lucky enough to experience owning a once in a lifetime horse. The kind that you can do anything with because they instill such a confidence in you as a rider. Camelot was that horse for me.

We started showing in the 2'6" hunters and within a few months moved into the childrens hunters and equitation at 3'. After 2 years of that we then began doing the childrens/adult jumpers and this is where we really shined. We had numerous championships at local shows and picked up some ribbons here and there at A shows. The only time Camelot ever refused a jump was always due to rider error. I had hoped to move into the low amature owner jumpers with him but navicular kept us from that.

All during our show career Cammy also doubled as my field hunter. We hunted 1st flight then whipped in for a few years when I turned 18. After his navicular kept us from the show ring we continued hunting for a few more seasons. When that became too much we still did some light trail riding before retiring him completely about 10 years ago.

We spent 22 years together, the last 15 of which were on my own farm. I'm trying to keep things in perspective as I suffered a miscarriage in March and lost my father-in-law in July. But it's still difficult. Mornings in the barn are the hardest.

From the jumper ring to the hunt field and everything in between...thank you for a lifetime of memories. I'll miss you old friend.
    On the 8th day God created the Quarter Horse. On the 9th day, he Painted the good ones.

I'm sorry for your loss, he sounds like a great horse. Sometimes what is best is not what is the easiest.

I am so sorry. He will be (unfortunately) in good company with all the great ones that crossed the bridge this month.
    So difficult to deal with after such a long friendship. Sometimes your horse is the longest relationship (apart from your family) that you have in your life and it is so difficult to handle. He will always be with you and looking after you.
    Hugs to you.

I know how you feel. Got my horse when I was 14 and we had 21 years together. I just feel blessed and thankful for being able to love him for all those years. Cry and grieve your loss because that helps you heal, then you will have just wonderful memories.

Default So sorry

So sorry for your losses. You have every right to feel as you do. But what a great life you gave that horse. May happy memories comfort you.

So sorry to hear of your loss. In time you will celebrate the wonderful times you had with him. It just sucks that you have to get from today until that time!

<HUGS>

I'm so very sorry for all your losses.

My deepest, most heartfelt condolences BET.

Your love for him shone throughout your whole post.

It does get better, I promise. Not today, and not for many todays to come, but it will.

Godspeed, Camelot. Say hello to the little bay Arab at the Bridge. He's been there 4 years now, and will be glad to show you around.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I am so sorry for your loss. What an amazing career you two had together. As hard as it is to lose them, the imprint they leave on our lives makes them live on forever. How lucky you were to have your heart horse by your side for so many years!

So sorry for your losses. I wish you the peace that time will bring. There is some consolation in knowing that you gave him such a wonderful life!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

He sounds like he was just a wonderful boy. RIP Camelot.
    When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

RIP Camelot!! I am so sorry for your loss.........
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I am so very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a very special partner.

{hugs} I know how much it hurts. I lost my heart horse, who I got at 14 and had for 16 years, last March in a similarly sudden, unexpected manner.

RIP Camelot. Tell the little sorrel mare with the blue eye and star&stripe hello for me.
    BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

BET, I am so sorry about Camelot. 22 years is a long time to be together. He bridged the years between childhood and adulthood for you. What a fortunate horse to have landed with someone who cherished him like you did. Godspeed Camelot.

My heart is with you. ~Katie

*huge hugs* I'm so very sorry. Thoughts and prayers headed your way.

So sorry. Sounds like you had a wonderful time together for all those years. How lucky you were to have been able to be with him all that time, but how hard it must be for him to be gone. Sending loads of hugs your way. Take care.

I am sorry. Hugs to you.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

I am so, so sorry.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I'm so very sorry for all your losses, and I know how much it hurt to lose a "heart" horse with whom you developed such a special bond. My heart goes out to you - I've been there. Time does heal, and some day you'll be able to think of all the good times you had together and smile, instead of crying.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!