A warning / lucky bullet dodged...they never cease to amaze.
A preemptive "you never know how stupid they'll behave" warning from my dog family to yours.
I'd received an early Christmas present from a family member who I'd run into during Thanksgiving and set the package (a bag) on the other side of our 'no dog room' gate--apparently a cat had tipped it over.
As I'm rushing around getting ready for work, I notice my very obstructive shadow is not tripping me as much as usual. I hit the bedroom to find a VERY guilty looking dog, and an empty box but no mess, food, shreds of paper etc in site. No pain, no dirty face...just a look. I stared at him for a second and waffled about making him potentially barf over a guilty look but as I was going to be gone all day, it was worth the risk.
1ml of hydrogen peroxide later, my child produced SIX of THESE:
Six readymade coffee packets TWICE the length of my finger.
I have no idea what would possess him to swallow not ONE, but SIX, WHOLE--but if I hadn't found him dead from overdose I would have been at the vet the next day for obstruction surgery anyway. Although you can't tell from the photo, they had a few puncture holes but otherwise were still full of the coffee powder. Couldn't he have just ripped them open and licked like a normal dog??
How shall we survive the holidays....
I'll let this post serve as another unpaid advertisement for the glory of Hydrogen Peroxide.
one year my dog grabbed my room mates chocolate box and proceeded to tear it up and the chocolates were everywhere and as we put all the chocolates back in the box we realized he did not eat a single one or mark a single one, just made a mess
A friend of mine in England just finished a week and a half of having to dose her Boxer with an activated charcoal solution after the dear dog managed to snag all the dried fruit she'd bought to make her traditional "Christmas Cake". Not fun, & apparently the dog's life was touch & go for a bit.