The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Deep-seated saddles that don't restrict?

Popped over a few small fences last night on the Big Horse in my dressage saddle - a Passier GG - and really appreciated the security it offered.

I also appreciated that he didn't launch me into the next county for the position it threw me into.

I have a Delgrange (PJ Original), love it but if you don't set it on the horse juuuust so, it throws off the balance and the pommel will murder you.

Any recommendations for something either at a similar price point, or less, than a used PJ Original? Something with a decently forward flap preferably, I'm 5'8" with enough leg to manage, would love a monoflap and it'll be on a TB with decent withers, not quite banana but not quite flat back. He'd also prefer something with a decently wide gullet/channel.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Not sure how much a use PJ goes for, but I would say take a look at a County Innovation. I really, really liked this saddle and on me, it definitely felt a lot deeper seated than others.

Prestige Meredith or Event. I am a sucker for deeper jump saddles and both of these I found absolutely ideal. A potential buyer brought her Prestige Meredith with her when she came to try my horse and I rode him XC in it - I immediately sold my Amerigo monoflap and went out to purchase Meredith! I have ridden in the Event, too, and found it equally as wonderful, but not as great as a fit for my legs.

You would LOVE a County Innovation XTR.
    SUPER SECURE, grippy and sooo comfortable. Sounds like it'd fit your horses' shape, too.

It's what I have, and now I'm spoiled and every other saddle I ride in doesn't feel as nice
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Default Black Country Vinici Jump...

Plenty of support for XC AND doesn't restrict for SJ. I've got one coming Friday - if you look on FleckenAwesome's FB page, you can see lots of pics of hers both on XC and in SJ. Great balance - easily equals the balance/security of my much more expensive Chiberta but almost $1500 less expensive, even with calfskin leather!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

My, that County does look nice.

Too bad the only ones I've seen used are a bit over what a PJ Original goes for these days. I think part of what I'm going to need to get used to is the fact that my leg just isn't going to hang down past the middle of his barrel, unless I ride with dressage-length stirrups!

I love my prestige eventer. Deep seat, nice blocks, and keeps me steady and in position. I would recommend it to anyone. Also look for them used and a few pop up. They also come in mono flap and in standard double flap. Many options on the leather as well. I have a Passier GG as well so I understand the feeling you are also trying to achieve. Never jumped in mine though lol.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    Never jumped in mine though lol.
    I'd always read on here about it being no big deal to pop over small stuff in a dressage saddle, but I'd never tried it - and likely will not be trying it again!

I have an ancient Jeffries AP that I love. Best part - it was only about $400.

I'm right there on the County Innovation They are the best!

I couldn't afford a County either.... I ended up with an Albion K2 jumper. Bought used on eBay for around $600 I think. I love it!!
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

If you like the Passier why don't you try one of the jump models? I have the Marcus Ehning- i'm sure you could find a used one fairly inexpensively. If you don't care for a "big name" saddle, the Hastilows are also nice. I've got one for my hard to fit TB who is a bit fussy about how saddles fit him! Great quality on them, and they were able to make me a saddle that worked well for both my horse and I (I'm 6ft+)

Love my Mike Corcoran event saddle! Fits my TB wonderfully, which sounds similar to your horse's build (decent wither, wide gullet/channel). I feel really secure in it out foxhunting and steeplechase racing it, but I don't feel "trapped" in it with lots of room to get up and out of the saddle. They're a little pricey new, but I got a great deal through ebay!

Oh and it has a nice forward flap that fits my leg perfectly, which seemed to be the hardest part about fitting in my search.