The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lol, I have been reading along. I actually went to their website (thanks SSF!) and found one that will fit me and that I can actually afford! I emailed to see if it would fit my short fat paint, because he is so hard to fit. I'll let y'all know when I hear back!

Here is the one I'm interested in:
    The A5 Close Contact Jumping Saddle. 18'' seat with very forward flaps and with large front blocks and small back blocks. Originally manufactured in March of 2002, it is ideally suited for a rider between 5'8'' and 5'11'' with a thin to normal build and long from hip to knee. Serial number 1327.
    I usually ride in a 17, but sounds like this will fit me because I'm pretty much what they described in the ad. Anyone know about the A5?
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    Lol, I have been reading along. I actually went to their website (thanks SSF!) and found one that will fit me and that I can actually afford! I emailed to see if it would fit my short fat paint, because he is so hard to fit. I'll let y'all know when I hear back!

Here is the one I'm interested in:

I usually ride in a 17, but sounds like this will fit me because I'm pretty much what they described in the ad. Anyone know about the A5?
    All tads fit small so if you usually ride in a 17" a 17.5 would fit you perfectly!
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears George Morris pajamas.
    This pretty much sums up everything!

I just turned in my A5 as partial payment for my TC2.

The A5's are very flat and very hard. If you are used to a saddle which is deep and "sits" you right in the center, then the A5 will fell VERY different.

Maybe you will like it, maybe you won't. But it is a different feel.

I liked it for years until I got older (in my 60's) and now have a huge moving WB who throws me up at the trot. I wanted a saddle that gave me some security that when I came down I was sitting in the center of the horse.

I know that Tad has a "happiness" guarantee on new saddles. But he does not have a "money back" policy.

If I were you, I would ride in a A5 several times in a row to make sure that the hard, flat seat is the right kind for you.
    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I know that Tad has a "happiness" guarantee on new saddles. But he does not have a "money back" policy.
    What? What's a happiness guarantee? I can be assured of $5k worth of happiness, one way or another?

That doesn't sound bad. I'd rather have Five Big Ones worth of happiness than Five Big Ones in general. That money could be spent, say, on a slew of parking tickets.... and that would hardly generate the same amount of happiness.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

"Almost" only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear weapons! LOL

Lord Helpus do you mind me asking how much he gave you for your saddle? PM me if you'd like! I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I LOVE my A5 but I really need something with a more forward flap. Did you trade in on a new saddle? There's a used one on the site that might work for me

Why do all of the saddles say for riders of "thin to normal build" ?

I am definitely larger than normal but did well in my 18" TC (Before it burned).

If all of his saddles are now for thin people, what shall I replace my TC saddle with??
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Gorgeous saddles (as always) - anyone know the warranty on the new flex-tree?

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post

I am definitely larger than normal but did well in my 18" TC (Before it burned).

If all of his saddles are now for thin people, what shall I replace my TC saddle with??
    I guess Tad doesn't want fat people riding in his saddles, he just wants them on "fat" horses!

Maybe if I can get my horse fatter, it would make me look smaller in his saddle? What if my butt was so large because of a fat wallet.... Would they still not want to sell me a saddle?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Of course they would sell you one--it would just have a deeper seat to make sure that fat wallet didn't fall out while you were riding! Gotta protect the returning customer!

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post

I read that as, if you're larger or smaller than expected for your height, ignore the person size vs saddles size fit recommendation, & look at a larger or smaller saddle ...

How tall are you & is your hip to knee length short, average or long?

Actual inches would likely be alot more useful (on the website) rather than subjective terms such as long, average, or maybe a description of saddle characteristics that are the basis of the recommendation.

I love my A5 and both my girls (OTTB & Perch/TB cross) really seem happy with it. I have only ridden in older Crosbys with the exception of my PAD (which I bought new 25 years ago!) so not much to compare to. I will say I am still getting used to it and was initially sore thru the inner thigh. I am always having to work on getting my leg back and I think this saddle has helped. I am just glad my horses like it!

Default Taking the saddle on trial!!

Just got off the phone with Justin, who is a very passionate and knowledgable guy by the way, and the saddle I mentioned above is on its way for a trial. He explained how they don't really believe in traditional "saddle fitting." It all made sense when he described it - how a saddle needs to fit a horse in motion... But I think I mentioned about 10 times that my horse is extremely wide. He says it should fit him though! I'm looking forward to trying it, so I'll let you know.

Hey Overohunter, how did the Tad Coffin trial go?

I just spent two weeks with a Tad Coffin demo, and fell in love with it. My own new saddle is on order, and was it ever difficult to part with the demo!

The demo process was amazing. Tad patiently viewed photos and short videos of it and me on two of my horses. Both horses loved it, it fit them well and they moved great in it.

I loved it too -- I am difficult to fit being very long in the thigh. This is one example why I liked it so much -- one of my horses loses his outside hind on turns, and in other saddles, I have a difficult time getting my outside leg on his without getting all twisty. For some reason, the TC lets me keep both legs on him. So I can get both legs on him at once in it. Hope that makes sense.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

It didn't fit me or the horse The description said very forward flaps, but apparently I need "super duper extremely forward flaps" because I am also very long hip to thigh and I ride my guy with fairly short stirrups because he is so short. My knee came over the edge. Also, their saddles fit most horses with the help of their leather pads... but "most horses" does not include paints with backs so flat you could set up a picnic on it.

However, two thumbs up for the customer service! I worked with Justin and he was great

Overohunter, that's too bad. The demo flaps were a bit too small for me too, so I ordered up a size. Your comment about riding with shorter stirrups is interesting -- one of my horses is smallish for me too, and I tend to ride him shorter However, in the Tad Coffin I had much better thigh and knee contact, so could ride him with my upper leg much better and actually ride with a normal stirrup length.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Overo I wouldn't judge it based on just the trial saddle because tad can make the saddle custom to you. The smart ride tre included in the TC2 might fit your paint too.
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears George Morris pajamas.
    This pretty much sums up everything!