The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nice leather PONY halters that won't break the bank?

I want to get my niece a nice halter for her new pony for Christmas but I'm having a little trouble finding one that will fit well. She's a medium with a dainty face that's a bit deep through the jowl. We tried about 8 different fly masks this summer and none of them fit properly, the one we settled on only had about an inch of overlap on the velcro and she took it off EVERY SINGLE NIGHT

She currently wears an old halter we had lying around, it's nylon with no brand name and we've had it so long we don't remember where it came from. It fits quite well, unlike everything else, but it's pretty ratty looking and I hate seeing it on that beautiful face

Any suggestions of where to buy one? I figure I'll have to call and have them check measurements against the one she's wearing, but a point in the right direction would be great.

I have a Walsh halter for shows/shipping that fits nicely on our medium pony with a long but narrow face.
    http://www.justforponies.com/walshsportsmanhalter.aspx

I also have a turnout halter that i LOVE that fits her beautifully:

http://www.kyhorse.com/store/halters...nouthalter.htm

The picture doesn't do it justice, the leather is wonderful, so soft and lovely. We got the yearling size with the snap throat, fits great!

Thanks, I'll call both for measurements when I get home tonight. It sounds like we have opposite ponies though, because Maggie face is short and deep.

yes, but she is equally hard to fit

Turns out Maggie should fit in the suckling size, it's a bit larger than the one she has now but should be good. They were very helpful, thanks for the link!

Great!

I got halters for our medium Welsh and small Dartmoor cross from Quillin. They have great customer service and will help you get the right size - beautiful halters too! If you do a search, you'll find lots of threads... http://www.quillin.com
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    I got halters for our medium Welsh and small Dartmoor cross from Quillin. They have great customer service and will help you get the right size - beautiful halters too! If you do a search, you'll find lots of threads... http://www.quillin.com
    just got Nanny a new one from Quillins and it is stunning... Fits perfectly and with name plate, under $60.00.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

So I bought Maggie's halter here:

http://www.kyhorse.com/store/halters...nouthalter.htm

and it is lovely. Unfortunately, it's too tight. They were completely sold out and asked me for the measurements of each piece of her old halter, excluding hardware, because they didn't have an actual halter there to measure just the leather shop's specs. The hardware on the new halter is significantly smaller and it doesn't fit. Since I had them put on a nameplate, I figured I would be stuck with this suckling halter. However, I just called them and they couldn't have been more helpful. They told me to send it back and they would replace it with the larger size and move the plate. The only cost to me will be the $2-3 difference the larger halter costs.

Granted, I followed their measuring instructions so it was technically their fault, but I'm sure many places would say there was nothing they could do once the plate was put on. I'm so delighted with the transaction, I wanted to tell everyone. It's a really nice halter, great leather and nice brass. The price is reasonable beyond belief. Definitely order from here if you're looking for an everyday halter, they cost about what a nylon halter would for twice the quality handmade in KY.