The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Warmblood sized trailers?

I've been looking at different "warmblood-sized" trailers online (2- horse, straight load, specifically), however, I can't find anywhere where they give you the actual dimensions of the individual horse "compartments." Does anyone know what they actually measure? Thanks!

Usually "warmblood size" means 7'6" from floor to inside of the ceiling. There are one or two brands where "oversize" means 7'.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Actually, I was looking for the length of the "stall" (for lack of better words).

My current trailer is a stock-type trailer (the only thing my current horse will load on), and the horse stall is 6' wide, and 10' long. I was wondering if it would still fit a 16.2 - 17 hh warmblood. My current horse is a 15.2, extremely stocky QH, and he has PLENTY of room to spare.

Height has nothing to do with length 10' is 120". If he wears a size 80 blanket, meaning his actual chest-butt length is a few inches less than that, that leaves 40" for his neck and head.

My Trail-et Westwind has a 7'6" stall (90"), then the breast bar, then 3'2" (38", for a total of 128") in front of that - PLENTY of room for my 17h WB gelding who wears an 80" blanket. He could easily be another 6" long and still be fine.

So yes, 140" in a stock trailer is way plenty

Check out www.happytrailstrailers.com .

I have a friend who just purchased the model that is custom made there. I saw it a couple of weeks ago. It is extremely roomy and is very affordable.

As per my friend, Risa, the owner, is very nice with which to work, too.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Default Look at Equi-Spirit

They make fantastic trailers for big horses.

Personally, I feel that most slant loads do not provide enough total body length for a big horse to comfortably EXTEND and LOWER the head and neck.

I love my Turnbow Trailer. It fits our 17.2 hand Belgian DRAFT with room to spare. It is 7'6" inside ceiling height, and is a slant/stock combo, so I removed the second divider so he has 2 "stalls" at the rear with tons of room for him.

The slant stall section, I would only put our 15 hand Half Arab in it. The width is generous (slant stall), but again, the length is only comfortable, IMHO, for a smaller horse. I feel bad even putting my barely 15.3 hand Morgan in the slant/stall section.

BUT - most people shove their horses into slant stalls where the horses butt is literally "muffin top" at the back, and there isn't enough head/neck length, so the horse has to RAISE and HOLD it's head UP vertically to fit
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Default You need a 4-Star

They have the longest measurement from chest bar to butt bar I've found. Big.

Pricey, but big.

Love mine.

http://www.equispirit.com/

I have 2 17H Hanoverians, and they fit fine in my 2-horse Equispirit model. Full floor plans with dimensions are on the web site.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Height has nothing to do with length 10' is 120". If he wears a size 80 blanket, meaning his actual chest-butt length is a few inches less than that, that leaves 40" for his neck and head.

My Trail-et Westwind has a 7'6" stall (90"), then the breast bar, then 3'2" (38", for a total of 128") in front of that - PLENTY of room for my 17h WB gelding who wears an 80" blanket. He could easily be another 6" long and still be fine.

So yes, 140" in a stock trailer is way plenty
    120" or 140"? My trailer actually measures 121" front to back. My horse wears a 78" blanket (he is a chunk of a QH), and there is probably 2.5 feet from the end of his nose to the end of the trailer. I'm looking at buying a Belgium/QH cross that I'm eyeballing at 16.2 - 17 hh, and hoping that I don't have to buy a new trailer too! Lol

I love my Kingston:

http://www.kingstontrailers.com/

Measurements are listed on the site.

I have big warmbloods, and I found the Windsor to be more than adequate. The Bedford is HUGE HUGE.

Check with Merhow. They will build it to fit your horse.

Have you looked Kieffers? I have one - a 2 horse straight load, mid tack and 10' LQ.
    The horse section is incredible. It's wide (out to the wheels) and tall. My 17 hand Dutch/Canadian Sport horse finally had more then enough room. Plus, there is plenty of room to put two rows of hay/shavings in front of them without being crunched. I love this trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Wee Willy View Post
    120" or 140"? My trailer actually measures 121" front to back. My horse wears a 78" blanket (he is a chunk of a QH), and there is probably 2.5 feet from the end of his nose to the end of the trailer. I'm looking at buying a Belgium/QH cross that I'm eyeballing at 16.2 - 17 hh, and hoping that I don't have to buy a new trailer too! Lol
    It will probably be long enough unless the horse is unusually long. Even then if he can stand at an angle that will probably be sufficient. Best bet is to measure him nose to tail.

I just bought a new 2-horse straight load Hawk from Risa and ended up getting the extra wide and extra tall (7'8") but only added six inches in front of the breast bar, so the stall length is 10 1/2 feet. It would have been plenty long for my 16.2 hand, 82 -inch blanket horse but my younger horse has a longer neck and I wanted to be sure he would have enough space.

I have a 17.3 Percheron who is long and fits just right in my XL EquiBreeze. (2 horse straight, gooseneck with DR)

Adds 2" to the interior height (7'8" tall) and 1 foot length to horse head area for an overall stall length of 11 feet. The total length is 18 ½ feet. The increased size adds approx. 250 lbs (3,550 lbs.).

This option increases the overall size of the trailer for larger horses without increasing the axle width if you have narrow driveways and road.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Call them. Or look at their drawings which should have measurements.
    Or do what we did: ask them to build the stalls to our specs.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not so much in the market for a new trailer, as much as I am trying to figure out if the new horse will fit on the trailer I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Wee Willy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not so much in the market for a new trailer, as much as I am trying to figure out if the new horse will fit on the trailer I have.
    OK, so do you have a tape measure, and if not, what make/model/year trailer do you have?

ETA, never mind, I'm reading impaired
    Last edited by ser42; Nov. 29, 2011 at 08:09 PM.

Default some trailer makers make draft horse size

you may want to inquire about that. My first 2 horse straight load ruined me, it was HUGE and made specifically for draft breeds. I LOVED that trailer and have tried to buy it back many times, but the lady that bought it from me will not part with it.

Bought the Hawk XXL and it it HUGE!!!!!!! Love love love it!!

I treated myself and got all the bells and whistles. The best thing is everything comes out and it is a roomy box stall to ship mama and babies to inspections. Could not be more pleased! Not to mention Risa is fantastic to work with.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I bought a trails west Royale ST.
    http://www.trailswesttrailers.com/trailers.php?mod=79

LOVE IT. It was really reasonably priced (I got mine as a floor model) I can trailer my 17.3hh gelding and his 17hh friend to shows, they are comfortable and have room. It's biggest design plus, in my mind, is that it has a large walk through from the trailer to the tack room...so no more getting pinned by horses while you struggle for the door. Instead you load, and continue walking, and you are in the tack room...
    Also has the biggest tack room that I've seen in horse trailers...
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.