The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pessoa turnout blankets

Has anyone tried these? How do they fit and run? Do they hold up?

They have been on Totd all weekend and I could us another turnout in a couple of sizes but I am Leary of trying new rugs.

I don't know about the 1200D ones, but the 2100D is AWESOME. It fits a huge range of horses. My 72" gelding is currently in an 80" and it works just fine on him with the smallest chest adjustment. It also fits my 78" mare fine, though she doesn't like blankets that rest on her neck at all. The belly straps are pretty long, but I cut the loop and shortened the straps. The new one, I didn't even bother to sew it back together, just burned the ends. It has stayed put thus far.

The 2100D is truly indestructable, hence why the gelding is in the huge one until the filly grows a bit more. She's wearing his right now since my mare didn't appreciate the blanket touching her neck. When her old Dover Dominick dies, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Thanks. Since both horses who need blankets are a touch rough on the blankets, I might need to just try the higher denier one. It is not cost effective if it gets destroyed a month into winter.

Last year TOTD had the 2000 denier pessoas for a little over $100. I snagged a medium weight turnout and it has worn extremely well. My horse basically lived in his last winter and he is turned out with a rowdy group of geldings most of the day. I also think they run true to size.

I have the heavyweight Tundra. It runs true to size. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this blanket has worn. I normally prefer Rambos but this blanket has really surpassed my expectations in how well it holds up and fits.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Fabulous blankets! I got one of the 2100D mid-weight turnouts last year from TOTD and it has held up beautifully. I wish I had the no-fill turnout sheet, but it isn't in the budget.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I just purchased the Pessoa turnout blanket that has been on TOTD....looking forward to its arrival. The price was nice, plus free shipping.

I got a pessoa turnout sheet and medium weight blanket on clearance a few years back for my youngster. It handled well in a field/herd situation. My only beef is the metal belly hooks. They feel cheap and my horse broke through one of them. I've never seen the actual metal on a blanket break before the webbing/elastic/what have you.

The only one I've seen in use didn't look like great quality. Within a couple weeks, it has 2 broken snaps, some trim was coming off and the neck cover velcro was almost completely detached. Not unusable, but annoying.

The newer Pessoa blankets and sheets that I have are very nice quality and I've been very happy with them. The Tundra was worn last year in a crummy boarding situation where all my other blankets were being destroyed, but this one held up well.

The older Pessoas were not as nice -- the fit was not good and the quality stunk. So don't judge the current Pessoa horsewear based on old versions (I'm thinking at least 5 years or so ago). At least, that is my experience.

I have a pessoa 1200D....LOVE IT! It is one of my favorite blankets. Only issue is one of the chest snaps broke but only because horse got caught on the stall door so I am glad it broke. And it was an easy and cheap fix. I got it on sale for just under $100 and I wish I had bought a couple different weights. It has held up well and is going on 3 years old!