The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Looking for suggestions for myself. I have a 16:2 tb mare Gracious Brevity by Mokhieba out of Widow Walk. bred to be an evente/foxhunterr accidentally ended up on the flat track. raced from 3-7 and at the end of her career broke even including repairing her condalar fracture (at 3). she retired sound and I have attempted to event her. fro the last 7 years.She has not gotten to much due to my job,health and other "life" issues but has finished in the ribbons every time out on her dressage score.Everyone who works with her loves her both racing and eventing. She is a lovely mover and good jumper. On the dam side she has been "hunter" bred for generations and goes back to a remount mare if you trace her pedigree back. Her dam competed up to Prelim and was reserve champion in hand at Dressage at Devon as a 3 year old.Would like one foal out of her to be tb to keep the line going(she is 4th gen. homebred). would prefer distance bloodlines and a decent mover who preferably does not throw big foals. I am only 5'3" and would be happy with between 15:0-16:0 hands no bigger. Looking in Md southern PA and northern VA again preferably but open to suggestions,.. Any one with any ideas????

One mare for 2012 & last foal looking at dutch stallions so far I have narrowed it down to: Prestige VDL, Harley VDL, and Goodtimes. Love these boys but can't rule it down to just one wish I could afford to do an embryo transfers on this mare. Kind of thinking either Prestige or Goodtimes due to Harley not having such good luck with pregnancy rates but still on the fence.

EM Donnabella (Donnerschlag/Baryshnikov) to Wolkentanz II
    EMC Annaconda G (Acord II/Saros) to Graf Top....might change my mind here?
    EMC Fleur Noire (Fabuleux/Matcho AA) no idea
    I am going to try an ET with my grand old gal Bel Etrice, since her best foal was her Quaterback colt, I may give it one more try.

We have been debating for weeks! And, finally think we have three of the girls narrowed down:

Selina (Mermus R x Nimmerdor x Uppercut) to Van Gogh (Numero Uno x Burggraff)

Safira 9 (Caretello B x Acord I x Caretino) to Du Gateau (Laudanum x Night and Day x Ibrahim)

Houstonali (Houston x Wild Surf) to Coronett II (Corrado x Cassini) for a hunter baby- with plenty of derby scope

We have not decided yet on Obsession (Canaletto x Carthago) and are in negotiations on custom foal for Waverly Place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Hill Farm View Post
    Plans are on the drawing board already-

Kaiserin (Kaiser de la Cour x Lantaan) is under contract for a custom foal by CQuito.

Julia du Brio (Daimant Rouge II x Kapoc) is the subject of a custom foal contract currently being drafted and awaiting signature- we will make a very exciting announcement regarding her as soon as the ink is dry!

Ana Bella m2s (Condios x Ekstein) will be bred to Eurocommerce Berlin.

Stamroos W (Heartbreaker x Ramiro) will be bred to Carolus II.

Oh my, that is three grays out of four! Luckily Julia's intended is NOT gray- there's a clue!

We have put a ceiling of four on the number of foals in 2013. Monica is agitating for wiggle room on the number as two have already been sold. However, sold or not, the amount of work and care is the same so I am holding firm...so far! [edit]

Remaining in training are Ahsianita with John Brown , Ultra-niki and Ahme with Monica and Bijin in Europe. Sakura Hill Czola may remain open although we fully expect someone to snap her up as a custom foal dam...her foals are all highly sought after and, when not sold in utero as is the case with her 2012 foal, are snapped up by 2 months of age.
    ooooh.. those are some nice crosses. Can't wait to see the babies!!
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Looks like some nice crosses are in the works!

I usually have my plans completed by now, but on the fence about a few.

So far....

Andoctra HH (Indoctro/Phantom/Polydor) will go to Zirocco Blue

Porta Westfalica (Polydor/Peloponnes xx) will go to Classe, +/- an ET to Livello

Ojoba ster (Burggraaf/Calvados) will go to Quality Time, if I can get the semen

Bellagia HH (Contendro/Phantom/Polydor) will go to Lasino

Lantana Melodie (Lonely Boy/Monsun xo) will go to Candillo Jr

Princess Queenie (Phantom/Polydor) hasn't given us a pregnancy in two years, but we are going to keep trying with ET. Don't know who we are going to use....
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I still have a few decisions to make, but... so far, I have booked a couple mares to Wild Dance (super excited about those!), one to Federalist (fingers crossed all goes well there!) and I have taken a chance on booking to a couple of young, relatively unproven stallions as well~ lovely individuals and impeccable pedigrees~ Always a little nerve wracking, however I have been very impressed with what I have seen of them and their offspring so far, and I think they might be a very good cross for a couple of my mares... so... time will tell if that was a a 'good' risk to take or not! LOL

I have some frozen semen in the tank that I would LOVE to use, but this year was such a crappy year, that most of my mares are due far too late now to bother with it in 2012...So... fingers crossed all goes well and 2013 can be the "year of the tank"! LOL
    Proud home of a barn full of second mortgage's...
    www.GoldenEdgeSporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by jenbrin View Post
    One mare for 2012 & last foal looking at dutch stallions so far I have narrowed it down to: Prestige VDL, Harley VDL, and Goodtimes. Love these boys but can't rule it down to just one wish I could afford to do an embryo transfers on this mare. Kind of thinking either Prestige or Goodtimes due to Harley not having such good luck with pregnancy rates but still on the fence.
    I'd remove Harley VDL from your list as we tried 3 times with a very fertile mare and excellent vet and got nothing. Nor have we heard of anyone having success with it.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by scavenger View Post
    Looking for suggestions for myself. I have a 16:2 tb mare Gracious Brevity by Mokhieba out of Widow Walk. bred to be an evente/foxhunterr accidentally ended up on the flat track. raced from 3-7 and at the end of her career broke even including repairing her condalar fracture (at 3). she retired sound and I have attempted to event her. fro the last 7 years.She has not gotten to much due to my job,health and other "life" issues but has finished in the ribbons every time out on her dressage score.Everyone who works with her loves her both racing and eventing. She is a lovely mover and good jumper. On the dam side she has been "hunter" bred for generations and goes back to a remount mare if you trace her pedigree back. Her dam competed up to Prelim and was reserve champion in hand at Dressage at Devon as a 3 year old.Would like one foal out of her to be tb to keep the line going(she is 4th gen. homebred). would prefer distance bloodlines and a decent mover who preferably does not throw big foals. I am only 5'3" and would be happy with between 15:0-16:0 hands no bigger. Looking in Md southern PA and northern VA again preferably but open to suggestions,.. Any one with any ideas????

Mystic Replica---Mary Hazzard's stallion. All the offspring that I've seen have been lovely.

http://www.lanefieldfarm.com/mysticreplica.htm

He's in Unionville, PA.

Harry the Hat would be another TB I'd take a look at. He's at Castle Rock in Unionville.

I have a lovely lovely mare by Rock Slide...he stands at the Stallion Station in MD--or I know he is in MD. I've seen a few of his offspring and they are all nice sport types. My mare ran best at distance (but only had 4 starts) but she has distance lines on her dam side. http://www.pedigreequery.com/rockstina My mare is larger, but others I've seen by him are not. He is producing well for racing too but not so well as to be unaffordable

If you didn't care about JC papers...you could look at Coconut Grove. I don't think he would improve your mare's movement but from what I've seen, he doesn't take away from a good moving mare. And he certainly can jump. Most seem to be on the smaller side too.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Fun, I'll bite!

My Connemara x TB mare, Sparrow's Tiptoes (*Grange Finn Sparrow) is due in 2012 with a foal by Salute the Truth. I plan to breed her to the RID stallion, *Snowford Bellman for a 2013 foal.

If not sold, our purebred Connemara mare, Balius Miakoda, will go to Dexter Leam Pondi (http://foxcreekfarm.com/horse/Dexter-Leam-Pondi) for a 2013 foal.

We are vetting a mare today, fingers crossed everything works out, and if so, she will either go to A Fine Romance, or the RID stallion, Winmaur's Sergeant Pepper.

All are bred with eventing and foxhunting in mind.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    Looks like some nice crosses are in the works!

I usually have my plans completed by now, but on the fence about a few.

So far....

Andoctra HH (Indoctro/Phantom/Polydor) will go to Zirocco Blue

Porta Westfalica (Polydor/Peloponnes xx) will go to Classe, +/- an ET to Livello

Ojoba ster (Burggraaf/Calvados) will go to Quality Time, if I can get the semen

Bellagia HH (Contendro/Phantom/Polydor) will go to Lasino

Lantana Melodie (Lonely Boy/Monsun xo) will go to Candillo Jr

Princess Queenie (Phantom/Polydor) hasn't given us a pregnancy in two years, but we are going to keep trying with ET. Don't know who we are going to use....

wow love what you are breeding...
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Wits End Eventing View Post
    Pazia ZRF (strongly considering Machno Carwyn, you have to watch him jump, it just makes you smile)

OMG I LOVE this little guy! I wish I had a mare that would suit him. He is LOVELY! Add 2 hands and he is my perfect horse.

As for breeding decisions, still on the fence. I'll probably continue the insanity and try more frozen attempts. I have the following mares to breed this year.

Ucinda (Lux Z x Concorde)- dam of my superb 4yo by Numero Uno, would like to breed to him, but have heard recent frozen is not good quality

Martinais (Guidam x Dammen)- probably back to Crespo VDL. She took and lost it early twice last year and then it was too late to try again.

Pinon Isadora (Galoubet x Tolbert)- lovely filly by Contempo, back in foal to him for 2012. Now that Selle Francais is back in NA, considering Alligator Fontaine perhaps.

Galaxi (Graf Grannus x TB)- 2 really nice colts from Contempo, back in foal for 2012. May go for Hanoverian this time but really not sure. Love my Contempo foals!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Untouchable B (Gambit, by Chapman x TB) will be going to Cunningham . After she foals out her Apiro

We're still finalizing our plans, and will also watch the stallion auctions as they come about, but right now we have breedings to Amazing, Apiro, Royal Prince, Donatelli frozen, possibly Fielding... and have only really decided one one (Royal Prince x Abenschein (Andric/Winnetou West)). We're also trying to determine the number we should be breeding and so forth... it's hard because we most of our mares are getting older and we really don't want to lay anyone off a year at those ages!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    wow love what you are breeding...
    Thank you! I just hope those plans work out, lol. If not I'll be looking for lots of fresh-cooled back up stallions!

Expecting a Livello, Calido and Quinar foals this year, so I'm really excited about the next few years!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    And NO idea about who to cross with Zoe.

http://www.horsetelex.com/pedigree.php?horseid=659962

Suggestions for her would be welcome. She is currently in foal to Donarweiss.
    Oohhh, love her breeding. Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by TrinitySporthorses View Post
    Oohhh, love her breeding. Pics?

Not the best confo shot of her (makes her hind end lighter looking that it really is in person)--and she is out of shape.

She is super super sweet (real love bug) and very fun to ride (naturally forward but not crazy hot). She is very tall (17.3) so trying to be careful who I cross her with in order to downsize the height a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whizzo2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	34328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whizzo1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	34329  
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Bornfree,

Oh yeah she's horrible! I can take her off your hands! Sheesh! Lovely girl!

Everyone looks like they will have exciting babies in 2013! Best of luck.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Bornfree,

Oh yeah she's horrible! I can take her off your hands! Sheesh! Lovely girl!

Everyone looks like they will have exciting babies in 2013! Best of luck.

Terri

thanks! I do really like her a lot and very excited for her foals (and hope they all get her ears!). It is really a shame she couldn't continue as a performance horse as she is soooo fun to ride (they were really pretty certain she would be a GP dressage horse)--in all, we are lucky she is still alive. But from what her first foal looks like...she should throw a lot of very nice babies.

Just need to pick her date for next year! I'm just afraid if I bred for eventing....I will not sell the baby as I will be too tempted to keep it! She has a great gallop for a WB (probably coming from Lemon)....so crossed with a lighter sire like a full TB... I bet it will be nice. I'm considering Sea Accounts or Jaguar Mail (probably too tall) for her...but still looking at others. For dressage...I was looking at some of the F-line hanovarians or D-line. Do not want to double up on the Weltmeyer with her. And also looking at Merlin up in Canada...http://www.windsweptfarm.com/horse.php?id=29 Gawk...just can't decide which way to go with her...
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Nov. 30, 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Anxious to see your Livello foal, Hillside!!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com