The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ever use a juicer? Good juice recipes?

I just received a juicer for my birthday. I love fresh juice! What types of juice recipes do you like the best?

i liked carrot and apple juice mixed 50/50, and I would collect the pulp for my horse

Juicers are a pain to clean up though. So many small parts, and you practically have to take the thing apart to clean. I gave up on it after a while and just went back to eating my apples and carrots.

I have a fancy schmancy Breville that I love. I like carrot/apple also but add a lemon and its delicious.

I underestimated when I bought it how expensive it is to make juice though. It takes almost a whole bag of oranges to make a liter!

I have a Breville. I love orange/apple/raspberry juice!

Organic carrot pulp makes the BEST carrot cake.

Don't forget to run the pulp back through the juicer b/c it doesn't get everything the first time.

Love apple/carrot juice too! I always peel the carrots b/c they taste fresher that way.

Grape, apple and orange is my favorite...but I recently started to love beet, lemon and ginger. It sounds crazy, but is very delicious and good for you! I first discovered this particular recipe for the juice from a book written by a doctor. Trying it is believing

1 large or 2 medium beets, cut into wedges
    1/2 lemon, zest and pith removed
    2 large carrots
    1 large apple, cut into wedges
    1" piece of ginger
    Juice everything into a glass, give it a stir and enjoy.

Lazy-Pony, that sounds divine

Ginger is a great addition to juices, love it!
    I've posted on another OT day about it, but there was this green juice at a resort I stayed at in Mexico that was beyond amazing. I want to go back just to try it again!!
    I've forgotten what was in it already- i'll have to do a search! It was great, though.

The substitute I've found in the States is Naked Juice's Green Machine. The juices like that are expensive, but they are so good. There's another one right next to it in the grocery store that is similar but with fewer ingredients. The smell threw me off initially, but oh man, they taste so good.
    Check out the naked juice website for inspiration- they list the main ingredients and others as well. Yum-o!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Quote Originally Posted by spotted mustang View Post
    i liked carrot and apple juice mixed 50/50, and I would collect the pulp for my horse

Juicers are a pain to clean up though. So many small parts, and you practically have to take the thing apart to clean. I gave up on it after a while and just went back to eating my apples and carrots.
    This. Exactly. I don't mind the cleaning too terribly, but it's a hassle if you wait until hardens! You need a good bristly vegetable scrubber to scrub the juicer's moving parts.

I love 50/50 apple/carrot juice. I split the remnants between the dogs, mule, goats, and rabbits, which means no one ever gets as much as they'd like but everyone gets a little treat.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives