The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jingles for my pup

It was bound to happen, my blue heeler has a habit of getting locked in 'must herd' mode. She's been doing very well, but this morning was just not one of her best displays of obedience.

On the way up to feed and throw hay, she charged under the gate and went after, naturally, the one horse who will without question stand his ground and would just as soon turn around and chase HER as be herded himself. I called her off before she got to him, my boyfriend called her, but I couldn't move fast enough. Was 15 feet away when his hoof hit her head, he and the other geldings took off for the woods.

I swear, life needs to not have that instant slow motion feature in these times. It was just seconds she was down and thrashing before she sprung back up and took off down the pasture, but it felt like hours. She came back to me, clearly disoriented, I was just relieved the blow didn't kill her outright. She had a bloody muzzle, and would not let me near her, finally got her, she was having trouble walking, one eye shut. Yell for my boyfriend to just get her in the truck and go grab my phone and call the vets to let them know we're coming.

Having horrible images in my mind of swelling brains and siezures and other horrible results from such a blow.

The emergency vet is about 20mins from our house, she seems stable by the time we arrive, but knowing head trauma is tricky (and her breed is meant to take a lickin and keep on tickin), just because outwardly she appears okay doesn't mean squat. She's hospitalized for an hour to be given IV meds to reduce/prevent brain swelling, and the vet feels comfortable sending her home for observation.

So far she seems no worse for the wear. Bright alert and responsive, pupils normal, behaving normal, good appetite and food staying down, and since I have to be at work for 10 hours tomorrow, she's staying with my boyfriend overnight and while I'm there. He has STRICT orders that should she start acting the least bit neurological she is to be taken in. Vommiting, head tilt, excessive head shaking, behavioral changes, walking issues etc etc I gave him a grocery list of things to look for.

I worked in small animal practices, and have seen dogs appear fine for a day or two and then WHAM, my own experiences with MY head traumas has been that it's not always immediately catastrophic. Right now she's one lucky pup, who will no longer be allowed out without a leash, even when she goes out in the dog yard, which she has another habit of escaping to get into the pasture. We'd appreciate jingles to help keep her luck going and not have it end with slow swelling, or any other possible negative outcome.

Cookies to all who made it through the novel.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Oh dear, big giant Florida jingles for your girl.

My best friend had a male and female heeler, the male was a notorious escape artist (known to go right through porch windows to get out), and one day escaped and was hit by a car. As my friend was rushing to the vet with the dog (whom she assumed was dying) in the back seat, he revived and was fine when checked out by the vet.

Her female heeler was kicked in the jaw by a horse, lost a tooth, but that was it.

You are right about them being able to "take a licking", amazing dogs.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Jingles for your girl!

P.

Thank you.

So glad if she has to be hard headed, she's at least thick skulled to go with it.

Good update: She's remained stable, is her usual self and rearin to go back for some revenge herding. (Not happening, she just doesn't know it yet.)
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Jingling for your girl. Hope she can handle the being on the leash too. I know they have the work instinct in them.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    Thank you.

So glad if she has to be hard headed, she's at least thick skulled to go with it.

Good update: She's remained stable, is her usual self and rearin to go back for some revenge herding. (Not happening, she just doesn't know it yet.)
    That's great news! We had to keep my friend's heeler locked in the tack room or an empty stall when we wanted to ride or lunge a horse, as she would try to "help", especially if she thought the horse was misbehaving. She did come in handy with the tough trailer loaders though.

I thought of you today while I watched my next door neighbor shriek at her german shepard that was in the pasture chasing her horse, and there was a lot of rearing, running and kicking going on until the dumb dog decided to final listen and get out of there. It was a bit of a bad scene.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Glad there is a good update! Jingles for her continued recovery!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05