I just adopted a very sweet adult male cat. With him being an older male and having an unknown history, urinary blockages are a concern in the back of my mind.

I am planning to feed him mostly wet-- I started introducing him to a small amount of Natural Balance canned in addition to the dry Purina Cat Chow he was eating prior to me. I'm not a fan of Purina, but I would like to continue dry food available for grazing or if I have to be away from the house overnight (which can happen frequently because of my job).

Thinking I was doing the right thing, I stopped by the pet store and picked up a bag of Wellness Core dry. Now I'm googling and finding tons of folks whose cats have developed blockages while on Wellness products. I'm finding almost as many blockages with people feeding Innova, which was my next choice. The more I research, the more my head starts spinning!

Is there a fairly safe, protein-based dry food out there? Are there any "safe" dry foods out there to supplement canned foods? Should I just forgo the dry food altogether?

Thanks!