The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Jingles for our girl, please *UPDATE* jingle SUCCESS!

Got a call from my brother earlier that our mare was acting funny. Said he arrived to find her sulky in the stall, and was eating on slow-mo when he tossed her hay. Pulled her out right away and she walked fine, not hesitant at all. Let loose in paddock and she felt well enough to pick a fight with her neighbor, then lowered her head, began pawing, and for lack of better wording, regurgitating. Mouth wide open, tongue out, wagging her top lip, and tiny bits of chewed up hay falling out. Choke? We offered water & she drank.

Put her on the lunge and she moved fine, breathing still fine. Pooped. Neighbors got rowdy again in the paddock and she got all snorty & lofty, then actually bolted for a few strides. Unclipped her and she meandered off, paced the fenceline a bit (normal for her) but when left to her own devices after 3-4 min went down in the sand. No rolling or thrashing, just sitting up on her sternum for a few moments before rolling flat out, then back up. Rinse, repeat. Got up when he reattached the lead.

No temp, breathing ok, gums a bit paler than I'd like, gut sounds ok on one side, silent on the other.

Gave banamine. Took 50 minutes to kick in. During the waiting period we continued to walk, she grabbed the random mouthful of grass here & there, then at about 35 min she went down again. Same up/flat as before. Gets up on her own after 5 minutes and it then starts looking like she's trying to poop. Tail would raise and she'd appear to try pushing with no result. Instead drool would start dripping from her mouth. Stuck my finger in her mouth, depressed tongue, and grass/banamine/saliva mixture glops out. Vet is called -- voicemail. I begin dialing a second time when mare comes back around the corner with my brother, goes straight for the bucket of soaked hay and starts eating like a pig. Like someone flipped a switch. Perky, wide awake, definitely herself.

Stopped her after a few minutes to continue walking. Mare is raring to go. Appetite still on fire when brought back to hay 5-10 minutes later, and was unchanged when I left.

Vet seems to think she's out of the woods. I'm still concerned however because of minimal gut sounds, and she's not yet pooped. My brother's still with her, and I'm going back within the hour with the sleeping bags. Asking for jingles for her. She was the buddy of my special 'one' (whom you've all heard about repeatedly), that I lost earlier this year. She was all I had back then besides him, and while I didn't always see it at the time, it was because of her that I managed to make it through his death & not completely throw in the towel on horses all together. If I lose her now too, I truly, truly don't know what I'll do.

Will update again when I can.
    Last edited by Losgelassenheit; Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: updating

Prayers and jingles. I think you are wise to keep a very close eye on her.

Best of luck.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

New England jingles for your girl. Please let us know how she's doing.

Jingles from S. Cal.!!

Jingling..
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Florida jingles for you and your mare.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

A horse in our barn presented the same symptoms last weekend. It started on Sunday when owner came to ride as usual. He was quite lethargic, head down, worried look (but to me he always looks worried), gut sounds on only one side. They walked him a long long time, let him graze, let him drink. No big poop. Then he looked better and eager to go back to his friends. On Monday, he was okay, but not normal still. No temp., gums ok. On Tuesday, the BO called the vet, then the owner! Vet came and all I understood was he thought his intestine may be hooked onto the spleen (something like that, sorry I do not know the terms). He gave him banamine and advised to keep walking him and even trotting him. He pulled blood too.
    Another vet from the same clinic came for another horse and checked him again. His blood work was fine. He was peppier, was eating and drinking. When I saw him on Thursday afternoon, being walked by his owner again, he looked better. He pooped in the aisle (kind of dry), but walked back to the field and had a big drink. Then he was sternal for a long time (my DD could go and pet him for a long time and she made him get up and he went straight to the feeder!). So, I am not sure what it was, maybe an impaction or whatever the first vet diagnosed, but it seemed to resolve on its own.
    Good luck and sorry I can't give you more info.

Default Update of sorts

Small update.. both positive & negative. Was down when I got back but didn't seem in any distress. Up on sternum, just resting. Got up when I went into the stall. Also pooped once in the time it took me to get back, but def not a normal pile, seemed rather dry and.. sticky, kind of? Experimented with a few pieces in water and it took a LOT to break down. It seemed to have a thick coating of some sort.

Appetite still good. Ate a bit more soaked hay and drank some bran water (no actual bran, just the flavored water off the top) mixed with some Ulser Shield, mostly for the anti-gas purposes. That made gut sounds increase dramatically within minutes. Very interested in anything related to food. Bright eyed & eager. Appears she may have just pooped a second time, or tried to. Only about 4-5 poop balls from this one though, which has me even more uneasy.

Thank you all who are jingling. Will update again after next "shift" with her.

Big jingles for her. Hope she's back to normal soon!

P.

Sounds like she may have a slight impaction working it's way through. The "coating" on the manure may be mucus. I'd maybe be letting her go hungry until this resolves; she's drinking which is great. I'd sure have the vet looking at her asap.

Liz

Jingling and praying in KY for your girl.

When my mare had an impaction colic, the poop was so dry that it looked like mini hay bales when it finally started coming out. It was very hard to break apart. When passing them, Tess would lie flat out and start to moan. The Vet had given banamine and tubed mineral oil in first.

When she had a gas colic, she pooped several times, but still was very uncomfortable. The Vet gave banamine, then put tubed mineral oil in, after checking for reflux. I was told to lunge, so that she would start to pass gas. I did some massage where there seemed to be sort of a gas bubble over her loins, plus the lunging. She would pass gas, then I would start the process again. She came out of it, but it took awhile.

Good luck with your girl.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Default UPDATE -- it's impaction

Well, we were not out of the woods.

Though we were on the upswing overnight & early this AM, by 10am we went back downhill & fast. Lethargic once again, silent gut, sticky gums, unwilling to walk. Several times she just locked up the brakes and dropped to the ground, hard, which shocked me. Kept tossing her head back, seemed very much in pain. Wanted to roll, looking at her sides. I was reliving terrible memories.. and really thought we might be saying goodbye. (I tend not to be so optimistic thesedays.)

Thankfully, a new vet was called & came right away, she was absolutely fantastic. Vitals mostly ok. The "spitting up" threw her for a loop, and she felt it might have been self-resolved choke. Nothing terrible in rectal exam but mare has a slightly "doughy" spot vet said is likely the remains of impaction. Pulled out 3-4 good handfuls of very sticky manure. Mare was tubed & oiled. You would've thought we were killing her in the process but she seemed to bounce back and is holding up well for now. Has passed normal, wet manure 3 times. Was given bran & Ulser Shield mixture for dinner per vet instructions. No hay until morning, if she remains ok overnight. Did see her paw once in stall after eating, but I'm hoping it's just because she was bent out of shape over having no hay and was digging for scraps. Put her outside (again per vet suggestion) and she took to grass just fine. Seemed content when I left this evening. Home to feed the dogs and then going back. Just wanted to update everyone as well.

Thank you all again, so much. Will update again when I can.

I am jingling, hope your mare will be OK! I am glad you got a more proactive Vet. Is maresie drinking enough? If not, might need IV fluids, but am sure Vet will do that if needed. Do you have a way to warm the water?
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Jingling for good news on the next update.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Default Midwest Jingles & AO for your mare & you !!!

Jingles for your mare and you !!!

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ```

HANG IN THERE ~~~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Prayers and jingles.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Jingles from the Prairies
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Jingling from MD. Good job keeping an eye on her.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Default small update

Home again after another "shift" and all's well, for now. She's passed manure twice again, looking normal, not dry, was normal size, but I don't want to be too deceived as she had bran for dinner. Gut sounds a bit better but seem to have switched sides between which is louder & which is quiet.

Has taken to gnawing on the wall in frustration/hunger, so she got a handful of soaked hay to divert her attention. Seemed to work, she ate it and then went to rest (pout) in the corner. Very much herself.

She'll get the same bran mixture for breakfast with some fresh ground flax added in and pending how she handles that, a bit more hay. Very content when I left.

Headed back in 5 hours. My brother, myself, & Miss Mare all send our sincere thanks for the many well-wishes. It's amazing sometimes, just how the collective thoughts & support can help. She knows everyone's pulling for her.

Jingles!!