The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how to - selling quickly/trading in the big truck

Buying/selling cars is so not my specialty. It's a process I really just want over with as quickly as possible. I bought a full-size truck a few years back with plans to eventually add on my dream four horse head to head Of course, life changed, the trailer never showed up and now the truck doesn't suit my life at all. Don't get me wrong.. this truck is my soulmate. But living downtown, commuting 110+ miles a day, boarding the horses.. I have no use for a big, loud 2500hd with the 8.1L power

I really need a new car ASAP so the truck needs to go. I would love to go with trading it in since it's so convenient. But no way regular dealerships want this in their inventory, right? So I'll get absolute bottom dollar? Are there any dealerships that specialize in trucks or anything similar that'd be interested in purchasing? Suggestions of how to sell it quickly and painlessly through private sale? Places to list it? I'd be happy to let it go at trade-in prices if I can find an easy transaction but have no idea how to make that happen. Previous attempts at selling other cars privately were HEADACHES. Especially with no man around to step in and deal with the jackasses.

Edmunds.com is your friend.

http://www.edmunds.com/

Google that, use their programs to find what your pickup is worth, what a trade in is worth, what your new car will cost, who in your area will make you an offer.

Worked great when I traded for my 2007 pickup.

Where are you located exactly? Trucks condition? Make, model, body type?

I sold my Duramax a while ago after my life changed a lot. As weird as it sounds, KNOW your truck... a lot of dealerships will give you the run around, Happened to me, I let them talk, then I spoke, their jaws hit the floor, they became human and talked numbers, low ball of course so I walked out. Sold it on craigslist - the guy who bought it is now a good friend of mine. Look and see what it's worth, what others like it are selling for.

Men see women with vehicles and assume we're all stupid and know nothing about them, while most of that is true, Just try to learn what you can about it. It helps, really.

Does your barn have a notice board? If so, post an ad on there. Ask your vet and farrier if they know anyone looking.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

There is always a market for good used trucks. With that said, finding that market is sometimes tougher then said, especially if you live in a urban area.
    A few things to keep in mind.
    1, Right now good used vehicles are sought out due to so few left after cash for clunkers. Dealers are paying a premium at Auction for about everything.
    2, Everyone wants to see low miles. That does differ on a diesel engine from the typical under 60k of a gas engine. Diesels usually at 100k.
    3, Service records do count. If you have them make a point to show the truck has been taken care of.
    4, Craigslist is your friend. Dealers watch it as often as they advertise on it.
    They will call you if they are interested.
    5, Just like selling a horse you need good pictures. Clean it up, take 3/4 shots, front, rear and one from the passenger front door that shows the dash and seating area. Take a close up of the Odometer.
    6, KBB, Edmonds and others like them are a guide. Use the info you gain there to set a reasonable price that suits you and is within a range that will sell it.
    7, Selling outright is almost always a better financial move than to trade it in.

Yes, I am in the industry .... if you have any questions please dont hesitate to PM me.
    "Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark"

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd take your vehicle to a variety of places to get trade in values. When I traded in my pickup a couple of years ago, I was given offers everywhere between $9000 and $16000....it was my first time trading a vehicle in and I couldn't believe the range in offers.