The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Want a breast reduction but I'm chicken......

Looking for stories from those who have had them - good and bad.

Am 49 and been wishing for one since I was 17. I'm done having kids and would really like to do this but I'm chicken. I think reading a story recently about a woman who died of an embolism or something during the procedure scared the crap out of me and made me think it was stupid to have elective surgery.

I have recently lost 25 lbs and need to lose 25 more. So part of me is thinking get hard nosed about getting all the weight off and maybe I'll be OK. But frankly when I was 20 I actually weighed 50 lbs less than I do right now (was extremely thin) and was still a 34DDD and hated them. How much difference has anyone found in losing weight and how much came off the boobs?

Right now I measure 38" around the ribcage and 50" around the boobs. So that's like a full FOOT of boobs!! I've given up on traditional sizing (only wear Enells) but I think I'm like a 38H or something equally as disgusting. I have SO much back pain (and have had previous spinal fractures so this does not help) and permanent mega grooves in my shoulders. Also as I'm getting older I have discovered I'm getting kinda hunchbacked and it makes me want to cry.

The only bras I have found that keep them even remotely under control are Enells and I wear those every waking hour, not just for sports. These things are like a huge harness for anyone that hasn't seen/tried one. There's like 20+ hooks in the blasted things! They are super ugly...like I look like a football player with the thing on. It's just one big ugly uniboob shelf with big bra lines over the cups. Sweat like a pig inside the thing too and end up with rashes. Sorry if it's TMI but I figure other well endowed gals can empathize

The boobs greatly interfere with my riding (or my interest in any sports really) and look just plain ugly. At least the bounce is greatly reduced with the Enell but I saw a pic the other day of me over a jump and my body didn't look too bad and then you see some huge bowling ball boob appendage hanging down over the horse's neck, yuck! I want to show next year but I'm just downright embarrassed.

Anyway stories please!!! How big were you before surgery, how big after? How painful was it? Any complications? How much did they take off in pounds? How did you choose what size to become? How long till you could ride again? Any regrets? And how did weight loss affect you before and after (and were you overweight when you had them done?).

I'm in Canada which means a waiting list, would probably take at least a year to get this done (or more). Trying to get up the courage to go to my GP to get a referral to a plastic surgeon. Surgery would be totally covered by health care.

I want a reduction (and a lift!) too. I am also chicken.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I haven't had done - barely a B cup - but my cousin had it done a few years ago. She's always been a big girl, and I don't mean just overweight; built big and tall (6') and her breasts were definitely in proportion to her build. Not sure what bra size she was but I know she had to get specialty ones. Can't remember all the details but there were no complications, surgery went smoothly, and she experienced minimal pain and a short recovery time.

But, she'd been losing weight when she had them done. I think she dropped 25 lbs before surgery and in the last 5 years, has put that back on...and her breasts are now back to almost the same size they'd been previously. She's frantically trying to lose weight in the hopes they'll go back down because she doesn't want another surgery.

Sorry - that's all I have. Oh, and she also said after her surgery that her neck was way more noticeable. Something about it changing her whole neckline.

Hope some of that helps!

I know two women who had this done, and they both are very happy with the results. You need to make sure your surgeon is experienced with the procedure, and that you both have agreed on exactly what you want done, and are realistic about the outcome. I have heard of one star (Loni Anderson from WKRP) that said in an interview that she had this done as a young woman, and had to have it redone many years later-apparently sometimes they do expand again even without weight gain. I think if it will help your quality of life, help with health problems (back and shoulder pain) and are realistic about the outcome and follow the postop instuctions that you will be fine. Maybe there is a support group or online board for plastic surgery patients? And the surgeon should have before and after pictures, and descriptions of typical results to show you.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Apparently boys disagree, but I feel your pain. Especially after the kids, it's also very frustrating never being able to find bras that fit!! (most department stores don't carry anything past a D).

Loosing weight will help, you can also do pec exercises that will help to reduce the bulk. But it is genetic, so surgery may be your best option.

That is definitely not the most embarrassing thing you can ask your GP about. They aren't going to laugh at you! If you don't feel comfortable talking about something that small, maybe you should try to find a GP get along well with?

Mine is male and I've had conversations with him about my breast health (history of BC in the family), it's not uncomfortable, he's very professional (because he's a Dr).

Foot of boobs , gl & go talk to your gp about your options!
    And congrats on the weight loss!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Default OOPS correction!

LOL well the FOOT of boobs needs some adjusting. I WAS before the weight loss 38" around the ribcage and 50" around the boobs (this is with the Enell on). I just remeasured and lo and behold I am now 34" around the ribcage and....drumroll please.....46" around the boobs. So bloody hell I've lost 25 lbs and STILL have the blasted FOOT of boobs Wahhhhhh. So much for the weight loss theory of breast reduction.

Oh and did I mention they are literally down to my waist and pointing straight down? Don't even try to measure without the bra on, I wouldn't know where to put the tape LOL.

Remember that old saying about if you could carry a pencil under your boobs they were droopy, or something to that effect? Well I could carry a small dog around under these Ahh the ravages of age, childbearing and bad genetics

I have had two friends who have had it done...The post op was uncomfortable but they are sooooo happy they had it done. They can now sleep better, but clothes off the rack that don't have to be taken to the tailor, have gotten rid of the their back and neck pain to a large degree, and in general just feel better. If the boobs are interfering with your life then I say go for it...

No experience with breast reduction, but I am rather well endowed myself. I wear enells to ride or anything where there is a lot of bouncing (sometimes doing field work on the tractor).

For every day, get thee to a lingerie/specialty bra store for a proper fitting. I know you're icked out about the size of your breasts, but, seriously, a properly fitted bra will be a lot more comfortable and will take some of the weight off your shoulders. I find that my enell bras, although they do minimize bounce, do tend to pull on my shoulders. All the weight in that "harness" tends to pull down in front and pull on the shoulders, since there is no foundation structure to hold anything up from below.

I recently went in and got re-fitted at a lingerie store after buying off the rack bras and wearing enells for several years. The difference was pretty spectacular in how much weight was off of my shoulders just by having a well made, properly fitted underwire. My new bras were not cheap, but worth every dollar. I believe I'm wearing a 38 g or h, depending on the brand.

I haven't had one personally but have had several friends who are super glad they had it done.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

I had one five years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done. EVER.

I was always big, even in high school when I was tiny everywhere else. By the time I had the surgery, I was pretty overweight - a size 16 in pants and more like a 22 up top (hello ladies!!). Wore a 42H bra. Yeah!

Post-surgery I was down to a 40C. Having the surgery made being active much easier and I ended up losing 25 pounds over the next year. I no longer had the upper back pain or the horrible under-breast rashes. And I was no longer HOT all the time!

It also - obviously - made riding soo much easier.

Five years post-surgery, I've regained a lot of the weight I lost, and they've grown back some - I'm back to a 40DD. But I still fit in "normal" sized clothes, and my back is fine, and I can sleep on my stomach, and all those things.

The surgery itself was an outpatient procedure, but the recovery was about ten days off from work, and the first week of it was a little yucky. I spent a lot of time lying on my back in bed watching Buffy reruns on my portable DVD player In the grand scheme of things it wasn't too bad, the worst part was really that my husband cut off half of his index finger at work the same week I had my surgery, so we were both fairly incapacitated and trying to care for 3 large dogs and a 4 year old child. !!

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat -- I'm only sad I let myself be talked out of it for so long.

I had it done when I was 20 (I'm now almost 37)....was a DD++ and went down to a C...definitely don't regret it! They took out 7+lbs of extra "boob" from them and it made such a difference. I've been a rider since a young girl and it definitely interfered with riding (I literally had an audience of my own when my boobs would "clap" as I posted if I wore the wrong bra, lol) and I had a lot of shoulder/upper back pain, along with the indentation on my shoulders from the bra straps, that went away after the reduction. Another plus was because of the back/shoulder issues the procedure was covered under insurance (not the case for everyone but something to look into if you have problems). It was an overnight stay as it was extensive surgery (quite a bit of scarring but not something that bothers me and it heals up pretty good..most of the scars are under the boob so you really don't see them)...the recovery wasn't too bad except you do have a lot of stitches/scabbing so it can be uncomfortable for a week or two while it heals, and of course it does hurt for a few days quite a bit since it's a lot they take out and move around, and it's pretty bruised. However, since they are taking it out it doesn't hurt for that long (as I would think putting inserts in would hurt more/longer as they stretch the skin/muscle).
    The only thing I've noticed as I've gotten older and gravity is starting to take effect a bit is that as my weight fluctuates, when I lose weight they tend to "sag" or shrink a bit, which when I was larger I guess I didn't notice as they were so big. Basically I have "normal" size boobs with normal problems of age and weight, lol. I don't think I would ever go smaller than a "C" or you will feel like you have nothing there anymore.
    Good luck with your choice but I really can't think of any reason not to do it as I'm so happy with my choice, especially being a rider it made such a difference!

My only encounter was with sister's best friend who got it done in her late teens/early twenties and is super happy with the decision.

OP re-read your post, you sound miserable! At the very least you owe yourself a talk with your GP. He/she will be able to answer your questions about risks and recovery time better than we can, you don't have to commit to anything.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I also have a friend who did it and is so thankful. She was considering giving up riding because she was having so much back pain, but after the surgery most of her pain went away and she became much more comfortable.

Good luck!

There's a thread on the Equestrians with Disabilities forum. I think one person said she regreted it, but didn't say why.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=318173

I had mine done about 4 years ago, one of te best things I have ever done for myself. I was wearing a 42 DD, probably the wrong size and am now down to a 38D. They removed over 3 lbs total. In the first six months after the surgery I lost about 20 more lbs with no change to the girls. When I went back for my 6 month check I saw the be fore pic. OMG I couldn't believe how aweful they were, hanging down almost to my belly button.

Compared to other surgery I've had pain was very minimal. I stayed in the hospital overnight because my surgery didn't start til almost noon so it didn't meet the qualifications for a real overnight stay. I was out by 9 AM and after 3 or 4 days felt Fantastic
    Last edited by carolprudm; Nov. 26, 2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: ad link
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

If I had large breasts, like the pair you describe, it would be off to the surgeon for me. It sounds like they really effect your life; this is not a case of vanity. As you enter menopause they will only get worse. Once your estrogen is gone, everything goes way south.

I've always wondered what the celebrities, who flaunt their mammoth fake breasts, do in real life. Worst, are the gals who are having their butts altered . . . OMG, where do they find pants.

Good luck w/ your decision and finding a good surgeon.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Just reread the OP and noticed concerns about an embolism. My surgeon was concerned about that and I had at least 2 heparin shots. Some doctors will also order special massaging boots to keep the blood in your legs moving.

You should also make sure your surgeon is board certified in plastic surgery
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

OP, I had it done when I was your age. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself! I wasn't huge, but was noticeably asymmetrical and 36 DD on a smallish frame. I got reduced to 34C.

I felt pretty blah for about a week, but didn't need prescription pain meds after the second day. My back and shoulder pain basically went away.

Get consultations with several doctors to make sure you have one you like and trust. Read up on the procedure and it's risks and benefits. I spent a lot of time on this website before the surgery and it helped a lot.

I'm 53, hated my boobs since my teens. Dreamed of breast reduction for years. Got up the nerve when I was 30 ish. So glad I did. What a difference in so many aspects of my life. It was liberating.
    And the boobage is still perky.

My poor cousin would love to have this done but her insurance, for whatever reason, will not pay for it. That is ridiculous. She is 5' 8', suffers from noassatole has has the tiniest feet - like a size 4 1/2! She has had neck surgery, has a bad back and bad feet. Judy is all legs and breasts and sometimes I wonder how she walks.

She said her breasts weigh about 20 lbs each if I am not mistaken. She makes Dolly look little. Her mom was that way also but Aunt Rita wasn't so tall.

If I ever win the lottery, Judy's breast reduction is on the top of my list. She is a darling person and is pain all the time. A BR would have to at least help.
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

I have known two women who had this surgery and were so glad they did. It was life-changing.

One of them is a gold medalist dressage rider, a tiny person with a bad back. She would not be a successful professional without the surgery.

Do it.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.