The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I hate Time Warner!

My husband and I switched from DirectTV to TW a few months ago, because we saved about $30 a month to bundle internet and TV with them as opposed to using two different services.

I HATE IT.

It's like they have a team of designers whose sole purpose in life is to make the guide system as user-unfriendly as possible. You can't find shows easily. You can't find HD easily. You can't record shows easily--we'll have things set to record, and then suddenly it changes mid-show to record something else that wasn't even listed to record. If there's a conflict with recordings, it pouts and refuses to record anything, and it plays passive-aggressive and won't tell you what's wrong. I hate it with every fibre of my being.

Right now, that extra $30 a month doesn't seem that bad, because at some point I'm going to throw a remote through the flat-screen and it's going to cost more than that to replace.

I hate them even more, if that's possible, but I'm stuck with them up north since the farm is surrounded by huge pines. Down south I have Bright House and the difference is amazing.

I could write a book about TW....not a nice book....

Why is finding shows with TW harder?? I'm also curious about the recording issue. My parents have TW and they have never said anything about these issues.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

On DirectTV, you can search for shows by keyword, subject, title, etc., and it pulls up all the possible permutations. On TW, it has to be exact title, or it plays passive-aggressive again and refuses to find it. Also, on DTV, you can use the number pad to find letters (like texting) but on TW you have to manually select each letter, and I keep accidentally doing the texting thing and then it changes the channel. The menu system in general is way more convoluted on TW as compared to DirectTV.

On DTV, if you're recording three things, it tells you immediately there's a conflict; on TW, sometimes it doesn't. Only when it's feeling benevolent. Instead, if you're recording an hour and a half of Project Runway, it might switch channels halfway through because you have an episode of something else to record. DTV would let you know that there was a conflict partway through, instead of just assuming you don't need to actually see the Project Runway results, as that's clearly the least important part of the show. (Not that this has ever happened or anything. Ahem.)

Also, if there is a conflict--say Project Runway and Jersey Shore at the same time, again not that that has ever happened, ahem) as Always Sunny--DTV will record PR and Sunny if you tell it to, and then automatically record Jersey Shore the first time it reruns, at midnight... TW just pouts and refuses to ever record that episode again until you manually set it to record at midnight. Since all the TV we ever watch is at the same time on Thursday night, it involves a good fifteen minutes of searching channels to try to program everything to record without conflicts; DTV would just magically make it happen.

Oh, and I also want to point out that DTV organizes like channels together. All the channels you watch, generally, are between 200-350. But TW just randomly throws channels onto the list as it adds them, so one might be 45 and a similar channel might be 300. I have had it for months now and still cannot tell you a single channel except that Sabres/MSG is 700. That's all.

Oh, and they don't have RFD-TV!

Default I LOVE MY TIME WARNER

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. I LOVE MY TIME WARNER!!!!

I have no problems with finding and recording shows on my DVR at all. I'd love it to be a little less $ but for the convenience and service, which is terrific, I really can't complain.
    Last edited by msj; Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: oops, had to change DVD to DVR.. Too damned many initials
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

The problems start when you need to communicate with them...I'm not sure they comprehend the meaning of the word...

I HATE Time Warner as well! We just upgraded from basic cable to standard (fiance NEEDED his football this year ).

First time they were to come install it, gave us a time frame of 4-7....showed up 3:55pm & left b/c nobody was home (uh yeah, we work...fiance showed up at 4).

Try again a week later....gave us a time frame of 4-7...showed up at 7:30! And after he installed it, it didn't work. Came back the next morning. It worked for 3 days. Came back AGAIN. Finally got it going.

2 days later....our modem breaks. Sigh. Come out, replace it, and the guy tried to fiddle with the cable (why, lord only knows!).

It's been such a huge headache with them. Their service is horrible! There are so many damn buttons on the remote, I've screwed the TV up more than once.

My brother also has had nothing but problems as well with them.

I don't know why we stick with them...so far, everything been working OK since this incident. However, my patience with them is really thin.

(Oh there was also the time when I worked as an computer IT that I had to call them to tell them they were having network issues. Our whole work-from-home team was having issues, EXCEPT the one who had Frontier. We all work in IT, so we troubleshooted every possible situation; it clearly was a TW issue. The helpdesk agent from TW insisted I was wrong, and tried to get me to install all these programs on my pc. I finally hung up on him.)
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred