The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Horse injures herself :(

My mare has a wonderful nature, easy going and the type you could just jump on bare back with a halter and canter anywhere. However, she has one thing... she is inclined to stress big time if I take her buddy away (not paddocked together). She will run the gateway and I mean violently. She can dig a trench in no time. It's like weaving but at the run! The first time she did it Iwas astounded as I can take her away from them and she never so much as turns a hair when they call for her. I guess I am her buddy. She can stand tied up all day and not weave. However, she hurts her back terribly when she does this so I do everything I can to avoid the situation. She is not a clingy mare but actually seems quite aloof. I have always had 3 horses but I had to put her mother down a few months back and I am trying to get my young horse going but she stresses if he is out of sight for more than a few minutes grrr. She was so fit a month ago and then I took him away for a walk and she went nuts. It hadn't happened for some years so I just hadn't thought about it and now she has been out of action for a month! because her back was so strained from what she does. I have been working on getting a good work routine going with the two of them and tying her in the yard with hay while he is being worked. Hopefully it will get better. Plus I guess I have to get a 3rd horse again she also throws herself around on the trailer on the way home from events. It's weaving as she can't run but it must be hard on her shoulders and neck. Where's an animal communicator?? Any advice or has your horse hurt itself this way? When I had 3 horses, I used to hot tape her fatty paddock inside theirs so she always felt part of the group but I have to get the youngster used to things as well so don't want them touching as they get worse. Sigh. I guess I'm just venting.... I know lots of people have this problem but it's the way she throws herself around that is frustrating. My young one will yell and run but my mare hurts herself with her stressing.
    Last edited by Kit; Nov. 26, 2011 at 03:08 PM.

Wow sorry that was so long! I really did vent. She's had to have osteopath visits and Bowen to try to sort out the muscle spasms and spinal adjustments.

IME herds do better in multiples of three.

Could you find room for a little rescue or circus pony? My Shetland is a beloved member of the family and although she's nearly useless other than for occasional pony rides (she can be driven but I haven't the time) she keeps all the "big horses" company and is the one constant at my farm. The show horses come and go and sometimes I keep broodies or winter boarders now and then, but Daisy the Pony is a fixture and all the itinerant horses know she's their special buddy.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks Delta. Yes, I'll have to get a third one. We have so much grass here that a mini isn't really an option as I already have two that are on diets 24/7. Mind you, maybe it could go in her dry lot with her.... I just wondered if others have done this and caused themselves damage to their backs in the process or is it just mine? It seems to stress her sacro/lumbar region which makes sense with all the spinning and pivoting. Silly horse.

I actually lost a horse who got it into her head to go blindly galloping the fence line. She had had EPM 2 years before and had recovered, but I foolishly left her out in the big grass pasture (with the pony) and had taken my other horse off the property. The mare usually would just trot up and down in the smaller paddock when I did this, whinny a few times, then give up, but on this occasion she got to GALLOPING, went down hard in the process, and got up barely able to walk. Things went downhill from there neurologically (tough to say if it was residual from the EPM or a new injury to the neck) but she had to be euthanized.

Now why she got a bee in her bonnet this one time I can't be sure, but being out on a four-acre grass pasture obviously let her get up a much larger and slippery-er head of steam than she might have in the small dirt paddock where I usually leave them.

Not to be all depressing, but yeah--horses that aren't thinking can really hurt themselves badly. That sense of self-preservation occasionally goes out the window.

Maybe you could adopt a really, really skinny one, or take in foster horses from CANTER that could thrive on your good grass?
    Click here before you buy.

lol I might get a young one that I don't have to worry about but someone else wants to graze out. Sometimes horses are so frustrating. Guess I'll have to do housework and gardening for a week .... which probably isn't a bad thing 5 weeks on bed rest... Hope she's up to hacking out for 20 mins by the end of the week.

Default Jingles for these horses and you ``` what a stressful situation ``

Jingles for your horses and you during this stressful time .... perhaps a new addition = a 'babysitter" would calm things down ?!

Good Luck ``` be careful !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"