The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default How to get everything you own in one vehicle?

A crew cab F-350 short bed with a toolbox? I will be packing everything I own (no furniture) next week. I have several containers of pictures and paperwork that must go with me, then all of my electronics and my clothes. Wondering if there are any tips for being able to do this without renting a trailer. ( I can't afford to do that, as I was not reimbursed for the trip up here)

I know it can be done...maybe?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Add some stakes to the bed so you can stack higher?

Bungies.

I was wondering how high is too high...lol
    carolprudm

I have packed myself and the dog and cat in my 4 door corolla several times. I am the moving master!

All of your electronics, PC, DVD player etc, go in the front on the floor.
    Condense anything you may already have in your toolbox, put all other valuables in there, favorite things, photos, clothes
    then stack rubber maid tub on top of toolbox,(strapped down of course) sure you are going to block the rear view mirror, but you have two side mirrors to use. then like a puzzle pack the rest of the stuff (that is in boxes or tubs) around the wheel wells, and the odd shaped bit behind the tool box and in front of the wheel well.

If you can put the TV on the passenger seat. I also put my bedding in the front if I can.

Think of your things like hay bales,stack smartly and tie them all down. Get one of those cargo netting things if you are worried.

Also, only take what you really really want and need if you run out of space.

I personally am not into keeping material things, but some things I cant live without. I can fit my entire life in two horse bumper pull, and only because I LOVE my mattress and refuse to leave it behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I was wondering how high is too high...lol
    too high is above the top of the cab.

You could use moving to downsize.
    I spent most of my life with only what fitted into two big suitcases plus my saddle bag with my saddle, breastcollar, cinches and pads.
    Everything else I could leave behind, clothes, books, records, trophies, etc.

You could see what you can sell you can eventually replace where you are going.

Have a safe trip.

Great advice so far.

Yes, electronics inside, with your back seat folded up for a big ol' box o' space back there. Then some intelligent stacking (including stuff under the tool box) and a tarp plus bungee cargo net will git r done.

Drive safe and pump up the tunes for a fine road trip.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I have packed myself and the dog and cat in my 4 door corolla several times. I am the moving master!

All of your electronics, PC, DVD player etc, go in the front on the floor.
    Condense anything you may already have in your toolbox, put all other valuables in there, favorite things, photos, clothes
    then stack rubber maid tub on top of toolbox,(strapped down of course) sure you are going to block the rear view mirror, but you have two side mirrors to use. then like a puzzle pack the rest of the stuff (that is in boxes or tubs) around the wheel wells, and the odd shaped bit behind the tool box and in front of the wheel well.

If you can put the TV on the passenger seat. I also put my bedding in the front if I can.

Think of your things like hay bales,stack smartly and tie them all down. Get one of those cargo netting things if you are worried.

Also, only take what you really really want and need if you run out of space.

I personally am not into keeping material things, but some things I cant live without. I can fit my entire life in two horse bumper pull, and only because I LOVE my mattress and refuse to leave it behind.
    Having moved to Montana from GA twice, FL to D.C. twice, FL to GA, etc. etc. using only my GMC 2500 Sierra I have employed the above tactics to much success. When you pack frequently you learn to make everything fit inside something to save space!

I've gotten pretty good at it from racetrack life, ie moving everything you and your horses own every 3 months

-get those bags that you vacuum the air out of and they compress everything down. Use for pillows, blankets, clothes, etc etc. When you take them out poof! Right back to normal size. They really help

- put what you can in garbage bags. Easy to shape and fill odd empty spaces, and wint waste space like totes.

-put what you can under/behind seats.

-downsize! its amazing how little pieces of clutter add up.

-combine things into one..like if you have 2 half empty bottles of shampoo, pour them into one container

-take anything out of a box or container that it doesn't need to be in and/or fill empty spaces with stuff, ie boxes of cereal
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

When I moved from Michigan to California, I couldn't afford a rental truck, so I sold or gave away nearly everything I owned and shipped what little I kept in bankers' boxes and a few custom made boxes via UPS. Computer, guitars, Mom's linen chest, my dog, a bag of dog food, and duffel of clothes went in my trusty old Geo Tracker. Of course, I did that over 13 years ago, so I'm sure UPS might not be financially feasible anymore.

Before you pack it in, get a couple of big tarps. One goes on the bottom of the bed. Then, when you pack everything in, draw the sides up around everything, and tie with ropes. Second tarp, put over top and draw the edges down so that they cover the edges of the bottom tarp on the OUTSIDE. Then tie on your ropes and bungie cords to hold everything down. Not only do the tarps keep things in place, they also keep them from getting wet if it rains, and keeps people from seeing what you have on there when you stop for gas or overnight.

I packed a lot of clothing in trash bags...not too classy, but you can fill them to varying degrees and stuff them in otherwise wasted space. I would put electronics, papers and photos in the back of the crew cab, then fill in around those with bags of clothing and linens. Do leave a space you can get to for any necessary items like water, snacks, an overnight bag etc. where you can easily get to it.

You can also ship a couple big boxes UPS or parcel post to your new place. I did that with horse blankets and winter jackets (I moved in August) as well as some lighter items like kitchen utensils, bed linens, etc. I mailed them right before I left and they arrived a couple days after me.

I moved 900 miles with furniture with a rental van and my F-150 short bed (no crew cab), so it CAN be done!

I moved from VA to WA in a Toyota Tacoma. Everything went into Rubber-made totes, were duct-taped shut and stacked like hay in the bed or back seat. All in all I think I had 12 totes, misc boxes and a few bags of `soft` items. If you stack tight, cram soft stuff in the crevasses you'll be surprised how much fits. But ... the trick is the tie down.

Before you load the bed, take a nylon rope and run it around the perimeter. Nylon to keep it from growing if it gets wet. Then stack the bed with your totes. Once everything is in the bed bungee down anything that you feel is possibly going to slip. Then cover the contents with a tarp. Take another rope and sew it through the grommets of the tarp and secure it to the rope that lines the beds perimeter. Make sure to secure the front of the tarp as well as the sides. (nope it isnt easy) .... Once your sewn up and secure top the entire mound with more bungee's.

2800 miles looking like the Beverley Hillbillies, through sun, rain and a wee bit of snow I arrived with only a slightly frayed tarp and not a thing got wet!
    "Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark"

Thank you!!! That was very helpful.

I have already downsized beyond belief, but my picture and books and paperwork (I have no family to leave stuff with) are things I won't part with just yet...and I still have my tack trunk and a few horse things that I cant replace.
    carolprudm

Of course it is now supposed to rain tues and wed, which is when i am travelling...sigh
    carolprudm

Big tarp???? Or might it be possible to rent a u-haul trailer to keep things dry?
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

The tarp method I posted kept my stuff dry through a Southern afternoon thunderstorm and the torrential downpour that came with it!

For clothes, bedding, I second the idea of generic Space bags. I also would use plastic bins and wrap breakables with towels etc. I never used any extra wrapping material - the stuff you are bringing can do double duty! If you really think stuff won't fit, you can ship some of the lighter stuff.
    Take your time and pack up the day before so you have plenty of time to do the puzzle-piecing to get everything in and stable. Keep one overnight bag with essentials so you can function without unpacking everthing the moment you arrive.

Can't speak to the waterproofing since I always crammed everthing into a compact station wagon. Can say that I packed pretty much to the roof and just used outside mirrors. I do know that the top tarp needs to be tight - especially at the front where it should be lower than the cab top so as not to catch the wind.

Sorry to see you go!

Thanks, i wish i could have gotten to spend more time with my CT friends, but I gotta get back south and see if the world will right itself....lol
    carolprudm