The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Monaural hearing (unilateral hearing loss)

Anyone else with a dead ear?

I'm wondering if BAHAs or CROS hearing aids are helpful for people who struggle with:

1) Listening to human speech in a crowded room
    2) identifying the source of sounds
    3) focusing on one speaker at a time

I can't afford a hearing aid right now but it's exciting to read about them and to think there might be hope for me! Some days my hearing feels 99% and other days I have so much tinnitus and so much trouble focusing that I might as well be deaf.

My right ear is 100% deaf and my left ear is supposedly functioning at 85% with some loss in the higher ranges, but I think that "loss" is actually just from my tinnitus drowning out sound.

I know one of you guys stabbed your ear with a rat-tailed comb . . . who was that again?
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I was not the stabber (or stabbie), but I have 35% function in my left ear and 100% in my right. Mine is due to semicircular canal dehiscence so I hear better in that ear with bone conduction. Looking into a hearing aid is on my list to address when nursing school is over in June. My otolaryngologist thinks it would help a lot. I'm not sure, since most of my issues are in noisy social occassions and listening to my trainer during lessons. I read lips just fine, but if someone turns their head, I'm lost.

Have you found good, informative sites? If so, I'd love some links.

Quote Originally Posted by didgery View Post
    Anyone else with a dead ear?

I'm wondering if BAHAs or CROS hearing aids are helpful for people who struggle with:

1) Listening to human speech in a crowded room
    2) identifying the source of sounds
    3) focusing on one speaker at a time

I can't afford a hearing aid right now but it's exciting to read about them and to think there might be hope for me! Some days my hearing feels 99% and other days I have so much tinnitus and so much trouble focusing that I might as well be deaf.

My right ear is 100% deaf and my left ear is supposedly functioning at 85% with some loss in the higher ranges, but I think that "loss" is actually just from my tinnitus drowning out sound.

I know one of you guys stabbed your ear with a rat-tailed comb . . . who was that again?
    Dictated to me by my momma, an audiologist of 40 years.

BAHAS aids are intended for a normal- or near-normal hearing nerve and a large middle-ear hearing loss.

CROS hearing aids are for a loss in one ear like your situation, when the loss in one ear is so severe that an aid won't help. It redistributes sound to the ear that does still hear sound. It should help somewhat with sound localization. That will also help you with your effort to focus on single voices in a crowded room.

A directional microphone can also help somewhat in noisy situations like a cocktail party. Obviously, you aim this aid toward the person you'd like to hear and it eliminates sound coming from other directions.

FYI, tinnitus, even though it seems loud to the sufferer, usually measures only 3-5 db (decibels) above threshold (the softest level you can hear). Therefore, if you have a hearing loss as severe as you describe, then the loss is due mainly to nerve cell damage rather than it's being as if you had normal hearing and so much tinnitus that you had a high frequency loss.

A question: If you have "100% hearing loss" what have you been advised about a cochlear implant?

And I'm back. PM me if you have deeper questions. Mommy and I aren't sure whether we are telling you what you know or actually helping you get more info you can use.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I can answer your questions. I have a BAHA on the right due to pretty much 100% loss and I wear a hearing aid on my left cuz it pretty much sucks too

Answers to your 3 questions are: NO,NO, and NO! I spent thousands of dollars on surgery and forever have a titanium screw in my skull with minimal help in the hearing department. I need a newer BAHA now as technology has advanced but at 5K...I just can't afford it. To tell you the truth, for me, it has been one great big PIA and the site often becomes inflamed and painful. Maybe someday it will come in handy. Right now (if I wear the BAHA) it sounds like tin voices in a tunnel far far away.

@Kestrel-The best money that I have EVER spent on horses was to invest in the Comtek system. I use it for lessons only and it has helped my riding 100% because I can actually hear my lessons now!! You will NOT regret buying it. It is expensive but worth every penny.

To all-No matter how good the hearing aid is...it does not help in noisy situations and I wear a top of the line aid on my left ear.

Good luck! Hearing loss is not fun to live with for sure
    ~Run and Jump!~

Thanks, all. I'll post some good links tomorrow if I can find them again.

If you want the back story, here goes:

I lost the hearing in my left ear on Dec. 2, 2007. I was driving through the snow bringing my goat back from having her bred, and as I turned to look back at her it just cut out and stopped working. I woke up the next morning with serious vestibular issues (so dizzy I couldn't walk) and compromised hearing in my other ear, too. I ended up in the care of a wonderful neurautologist who diagnosed me with viral labyrinthitis. He did his best to treat my hearing loss with oral steroids (we didn't try injections, which would have been the next thing, because of my financial situation). His audiologist tested my hearing every week for six weeks and my right ear responded, improving from 60% to 85% functional on that side. My right ear had no responsiveness whatsoever, though I could feel VERY loud and VERY deep tones—more as a rattle than as a sound.

I was dizzy for a couple of years but now I feel pretty normal in that regard. I have days when I hear quite normally and days when I don't. I always have pretty severe tinnitus (my brain's way of substituting for sound on that side, I guess) but I've learned to tune it out and it doesn't bother me much. I can't really carry on a conversation in a crowded room, but I get by with a lot of smiling and nodding and by trying to always stand on the left of my companions. Riding lessons, when I used to take them, were a little bit hard but my instructor/friend/boss was patient with me.

Gotta go tuck in my mule—he's braying, and that I CAN hear!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

I have been deaf in my right ear for as long as I can remember - no nerve function whatsoever. As best we can tell, my inner ears didn't quite develop properly (I can't feel pain either, such as from an ear infection) because my mother had German Measles while pregnant with me. My left ear is somewhat impaired, but not bad.

I have what the audiologist referred to as a transfer hearing aid. I have aids in both ears, but the right one transfers what it receives into my left ear. It's very helpful if someone is talking on my right, but I cannot find direction with it - but it's likely I never will be able to have directional hearing. The entire concept is absolutely foreign. Sound comes from the left, and I will turn towards the deaf side first, every time.

What I think would be really cool, though, is to be talking on the phone and switch ears. That's neat.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Thanks, xcjumper. I've been considering getting one, but my trainer isn't wild about the idea. She wants to teach loudly enough that the other people in the arena can hear what she's telling me to do. Not that they pay attention or stay out of the way

Kestrel-It's too bad that your trainer feels that way and if mine did....I would get another trainer. I pay too much money to not be able to hear my lessons. Why take a lesson if you can't hear what the trainer is saying. I hope for your sake they will come around.
    ~Run and Jump!~

xcJumper, Emryss . . . it sounds like hearing aids haven't been the miracle cure I want them to be! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

When I was taking dressage lessons, my trainer would shout small things (a word or two) as clearly as she could as I rode around the ring and then I'd come in to the center for a more in-depth conversation face-to-face and some instructions on what to do next.