The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can you guys weigh in on a feed question for me?

Ugh, I'm simply fed up with my current feed dealer. It's one thing to move to the other side of town..but then leave me high and dry without feed for a week and a half, even though I told you how many bags I needed each month. I'm just done. I love Cavalor, but enough is enough.

So.....I'm going to go with another dealer near the barn who has started carrying Pennfield. I used Pennfield before Cavalor.

Now, I know I want the Senior Textured for my old guy...but I'm torn on what would be best for the two hard working early teenagers who are easy keepers. Should I just go with Cool N Lite or something else. I'm not a big fan of feeding alot of grain, and you only have to feed 3 pounds of Cool N Lite per day to get all the requirements. They get unlimited grass hay, and a thick alfalfa flake (about 3lbs) at lunch. They are in good condition, but don't require alot of grain calories, unlike the senior TB. Both horses in question are over 1200 pounds in body weight. One is primarily a dressage horse, the other a hunter...but both are cross trained and worked an hour a day/6 days per week. We do alot of hill work..trot sets, canter sets, and galloping.

So here are my thoughts...would love input
    Cool N Lite only?
    Cool N Lite AND a bit of Fibergized Omega for the winter?
    Just Fibergized Omega?
    OR Something else? I don't want a pelleted feed, my mare does not do well on pelleted feeds (aka gas colic)

http://www.pennfieldequine.com/

I would start with the Cool n' Lite and go from there. If they end up needing more calories I would first increase the alfalfa hay and then add a bit of the Senior feed, or something like whole flax seed.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I haven't fed Pennfield though I have heard good things about it.
    We have had several oldies and found they did much better on Purina's Ultimum than anything else. Easy to digest, easy to chew, high fat so a lot more calories than the senior feeds I have checked.

As for the easy keepers, I hate having to have more than one feed unless I have to. So you could use the Ultimum for them but just give them a tiny bit. I have an air fern and right now am feeding Purina's Strategy Healthy Edge. He gets, literally, a handful. And still looks like he is due to foal yesterday!!

So I can't comment on which Pennfield feed to use for the air ferns.

But I am also a die hard Purina person. Having been thru a lot of feeds thru the years. (Except Pennfield. Maybe I should try it?)

Other than Cavalor..Pennfield has been my favorite of all feeds. Really sad to give up the Cavalor, but gotta have the customer service to go with it.

The Cool N Lite is a great feed and they should do just fine on JUST that. I fed it for years before switching to the All Phase (an ration balancer), and had some pretty hard working but easy keeping horses on it. I never felt the need to supplement with anything else (except some more hay or, for one VERY easy keeper who only got handfuls of feed at a time, a multi-vitamin sup). It is a really nice feed and smells YUMMY!

The other option I would recommend for the easy keepers is the All Phase. It is great.

Is your old guy a hard keeper? The Pennfield Senior isn't terribly high fat like some of the others. I would consider feeding one of the Fibergized formulas if he's a hard keeper.

Dalpal, I can't answer with the Pennfield. I do like Cavalor. Cavalor is available in Southern Pines if you need enough to help you transition over to Pennfield.

No...unfortunately, SP is farther than the new store in Durham. I just need a dealer/feed that I can count on to have what I need every time. At least if I switch to Pennfield....if Murphy's doesn't have it, I can run to MandM to get it.

YellowBritches..thank you! He is older/hard keeper....so you answered my question on whether he should go on Fibergized or Senior. I will get him the Fibergized (I already have horseshine, so no need for the Omega) and the Cool N Lite for the other two.

I really, really miss THS, don't you????

Definitely the location!!! It wouldn't have been a big deal to go on Tuesday to pick up feed at the old location...but Saturday is the ONLY day I could go to Durham...so after the second Saturday of No Cavalor, I just threw in the towel.