The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Migraines anyone?

Mine come mostly when the weather changes, although major stress can bring one on, as well as glaring light or hunger. They are on the side of my head, near my eye, but might start at the back of my neck. I can go to bed fine and wake in the middle of the night with one. Daily decongestants don't make a difference.

Doctor started me on Topamax, I lost some weight , but still get the hearaches . The only thing that relieves them is Imitrex. I can get them twice a week. They last 3 days without medication. They make me grumpy and irritable.

Anyone get relief from anything?

I go back to Dr. soon with a headache diary.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I'm gonna wait to see if anyone else gets relief from cluster migraines too. I sure don't.

Unless I catch a migraine as it starts, Imitrex does nothing for me. I, too, wake up with cluster migraines from the back of my neck over and thru to my left eyeball. Usually it's two days of pain and nauseau, sometimes vomiting (like Wednesday when I left work).

I've heard the herb Butterbur is recommended by Dr. Oz as an alternative, but I'm skeptical.

Funny, but I'll take an aural (or visual) migraine anyday over a cluster migraine. Visual migraines I can stop with 2 Exedrin Migraine and a Coke as soon as the flashing light or funky vision starts.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

When I went on blood pressure medicine (atenolol) it drastically reduced the number of serious migraines I get. I generally only have to break out the imitrex once a year or so. Minor ones get hit with excedrin and that knocks them out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000819/

I think it's the 'relaxing blood vessels' that makes it work for me. Maybe something to ask your doctor about?
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I have gotten headaches my whole life. I am allergic to NSAIDs so a lot of the lighter meds I can't take. I don't like the heavy duty ones. I didn't realize until I got ocular migraines (auras without headaches) that my headache were also migraines.

If I am regularly exercising (30 mins of serious sweat and 30 minutes of yoga a day), I don't get them.

Stress, alcohol and LEDs make them more frequent.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

There are so many causes of migraines that what works always varies. I used to take Zomig and then Maxalt, both worked fine. But then i was diagnosed with Raynauds (reduced blood flow to fingers/toes) and both of those migraine meds are contraindicated for that (they reduce the blood flow).

The vast majority of my migraines are caused by my Fibromyalgia, i get stiff in the neck and shoulders and if i can't work it out by stretching, i get a migraine. I also get menstrual migraines but since i'm proceeding merrily along towards menopause i get fewer peiords and thus, fewer migraines.

The only thing i take for them now is Midrin, and only if i can't sleep it off or stretch out of it. Oh and a Flexeril or two if needed.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

I've had them since I was a teenager. I took a blood pressure med for many years to avoid them, but haven't' taken them for a few years. I've taken everything under the sun for them over the years, with very mixed results. Two years ago, I went back to Fiorocet - an old-school medicine and it works great. I don't feel doped after and it gets rid of my headaches.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I start with Fiorcet. If that doesn't work, I go to Lorcet w/a Flexeril. If that doesn't stop it, Maxalt will. And I never ever go anywhere without my meds. Learned that the hard way.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Classic migraine since I was 27 and Cluster headaches (ice-pick type) since I was 16. Imitrex is my go-to drug.

Both the cluster headaches and the migraines improved when I started on calcium channel blockers when I was 32. At that time I was only having 2-3 days a week without headaches. Pressure changes in weather, sunlight, red wine, fatigue and low blood sugar were all triggers. I had to try several meds before I found the blockers that helped so much.

Now that I'm older (50's) I'm off the blockers and only have migraine 4 days a month, related to hormones.

Hang in there! Keep looking for help.

I get migraines that cluster as well. Worse in the fall but really any weather changes kill me. Florescent lights/LEDs kill me as do glares and fall sunlight and artificial sweeteners and a handful of other things. I don't use overhead lights at work and my office is filled with lamps and incandescent bulbs (I don't know what to do if I can't get them anymore). I just got an anti-glare screen for my work monitor and that helps some.

I'm currently working with my doctor to find a rescue treatment that works. I cannot take Imitrex (I get more sick from imitrex than the migraine though it does provide headache relief--I then just spend hours dizzy and vomiting) and because of that, we don't necessarily want to try other drugs in that family. Because I'm so much worse in the fall, we don't want to go to a daily medication (3-4/week in the fall vs 3-4/month the rest of the year). So we're looking for something that will break the cluster and that I can function when taking.

I'm currently trying Fiorcet and while I feel a bit funky and off after taking it, I can function (talk, drive, etc.). I've only taken it a couple of times (I'm not allowed to take it when I'm at work until I know my reaction to it so getting migraines at home when I'm not going to bed anyway has slowed down my trial (I can take it when going to bed, but then I don't know my reaction)--took it yesterday AM and felt OK). We'll see. I haven't taken it for a terrible migraine yet.

I currently have RX naproxin for work that I take with caffeine for the time being. Though unless I take it early, it does nothing. No auras here, but sometimes I can catch a funky smell/taste that alerts me to a pending migraine. But if I'm busy, I don't necessarily notice.

I recently went off birth control pills because I no longer need them for their intended purpose (menopause). After a few weeks, I kept getting migraines complete with nausea and vomiting. The last one lasted 4 days with a trip to the ER because I was so dehydrated from vomiting. The ER doc told me to call my OB-GYN because it was probably the cold turkey stoppage of the BCPs that triggered them. OB-GYN put me back on the BCPs and I haven't had one since. I will be going back for a pap/check-up in 4 months so I want to find a better solution than BCPs for the rest of my life.

I have a new found empathy for all of you migraine sufferers. That was the worst feeling of nausea and stabbing pain ever. I couldn't function at all.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I guess I'm fortunate, I get "opthalmic migraines" or "silent migraines", auras and visual disturbances without the crushing head pain. I do have a mild headache and feel sick to my stomach after the aura passes, usually within 30 minutes. They are an inconvenience more than anything, if I'm driving when they show up, I have to pull over and wait them out because I really can't see well around the flashing lights and there are gray "dead spots" in the center of my visual field. Mine appear to be caused by light coming into my eyes at a certain angle. Exactly what that angle is, I don't know, but there are certain lights I won't turn on at home and certain conference rooms at work where I will only sit in certain seats, because otherwise I am sure to get one. I wear very dark sunglasses every time I'm outside in the winter, because light coming off the snow can set them off. Weird, but I'm thankful not to have the really horrid headaches.

This is a timely thread as I ended up in the ER with a very odd array of symptoms that ended up being a migraine.

On my drive into work i started to see orbs and waves in my eyes. About an hour later I lost all peripheral vision in my right eye, my left hand was numb and tingly, and my tongue was going numb. I also got the shakes really bad, but never had a headache. My boss drove me to and urgent care who sent me straight to the ER. In the ER they treated me with migraine medication and did a contrast MRI. Everything on the MRI was normal so they assumed migraine and referred me to a neurologist that I have to go see next week :-/
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I've had them for many years - Dx'd in 1st grade.

I have tried Topimax - BAD for me - made me more neurotic than normal - had to stop titrating up, as 75 mgs caused me to have abnormal amounts of tingling in my extremities - finally came off it completely a few months ago.

I've tried Imatrex, but that wasn't really helpful.

Now, take Relpax, and that seems to be working the best.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

I took a variety of medicines that worked with varying degrees of relief. I remember Imatrex had no effect on me. Another one I took had horrible side effects (numbness from the chest up, thought I couldn't breathe) but I don't remember what it was called. I did take one medicine that worked well but I can't even remember what that was it's buried so deep in my medicine drawer now. Really helpful, I know!

Birth control and weekly B12 shots. I don't really get migraines anymore. The birth control I started first and it helped the most, really knocked them back in severity and frequency. Added the B12 two years ago because I had extreme fatigue (slept 12-14+ hours a day consistently) and it finished the job. I still get headaches, but more like tension headaches now. Occasionally I will feel like I'm about to get a really bad migraine, but nothing several Aleve can't fix for the most part.

I went through a stretch of time during which I had frequent migraines, but thankfully not as common as some here have said. Mine are almost always stress related and what they call a weekend migraine (named as some get them after a stressful week at work- finally they can relax and then the migraine hits).
    I almost always have a ten minute warning, give or take. Some sound that is normally not distracting suddenly becomes painfully loud. Or the world just becomes really busy-looking... And I know I need meds asap.

One time now I've had just the vision problems without the horrible headache. It was like every tiny little detail was screaming at me and my eyes couldn't adjust or filter anything out. The worst part of it was that we were going into the grocery store. I thought it would just pass but it was getting worse. And if you're having sensory/vision overload, possibly the worst place in the world to be is a grocery store! All those unending rows and stacks of colors and labels on both sides, even the flecks in the tile flooring... It was really awful. I was glad MrB was with me and could finish the shopping while I navigated my way back to the car.
    That experience really gave me an appreciation for people with sensory processing disorders... Ugh.

For my migraines, I've been happy that excedrine migraine works most of the time if I catch it soon. Putting ice packs, washcloths entirely covering my head and neck, and on my wrists, back of knees helps too.

I was having really bad migraines with auras last year (several a week). I get nasty side effects from Imitrex so they ended up giving me Maxalt for migraine attacks, but what has helped the most is that they put me on a low dose (50mg) of Trazidone every night as a prophylactic. That has done wonders as I now have maybe only one full blown migraine every few months.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_jumpfl View Post
    I was having really bad migraines with auras last year (several a week). I get nasty side effects from Imitrex so they ended up giving me Maxalt for migraine attacks, but what has helped the most is that they put me on a low dose (50mg) of Trazidone every night as a prophylactic. That has done wonders as I now have maybe only one full blown migraine every few months.
    Can I ask what side effects you had from imitrex? My doctor and I are nervous about trying anything else in the triptan family because I react poorly to imitrex.

I used to get them. Drugs didn't work.... I had one so bad that it took demorall to stop it.

Then I stopped drinking carbobated drinks, and they went away....keeping a food journal to aee if you can find the triggers has worked for people I know.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I've had headaches since I was 8. Only realized when I was in my 30's that not everyone had headaches like this. Currently on Topamax. Works pretty good. Tingling in hands and feet is going away. Still will get a migraine if I don't get enough sleep or something strongly triggers it. I've never been able to reliably figure out what triggers mine. A few but not all. Nortriptyline(sp) worked really well for me, no migraines for months on end but the side effects became too much and had to stop taking it.
    I'm lucky in that 800mg of Ibuprofen will usually either knock one out or make it bearable. Mine almost never stop me from functioning, although I'm not usually nice or happy to be around when I have one.
    Only tried the Imitrex once. It worked but had an after headache and felt really weird for a couple of hours.
    I do miss the Nortriptyline. Months with no headaches, not even the small daily ones, was amazing.

I started getting migraines in my 30s. 9-12 days a month of "put your head under a pillow and lie really still so you don't throw up" headaches. I finally figured out that chocolate was one of my main triggers. (I know. I accept your sympathy. ) But cutting out chocolate didn't stop them completely. Imitrex worked for a short while, then the headache came back worse than before. A local doctor was involved in research using Botox to prevent migraines. I started getting the shots, and 8 years later, I rarely get a migraine.

At first I had to get treated every 3 months, but now can go for about 6 months. The idea of Botox kind of scares me, the shots are painful, and I would never do it for cosmetic purposes, but I have gotten back the week I used to lose every month to horrible headaches.