The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you want to share my kid with me?

I got a call from St Kitts today (a beautiful little West Indies island with a GDP $8,500/yr) from an old friend who asked if I wanted to talk to "my boy", Tariq:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture8-2.png

It was his mother who called me. I feel so lucky that she lets me "share" her son. They lived up the road from me when I was attending school there in 2008. I left in May 2009, and haven't been able to visit since, but we still keep in touch weekly now. Tariq is 13 years old. He wants to be a veterinarian, is very smart, quiet, and passionate about animals. His father (who's very abusive, as well as an alcoholic) doesn't live with him, but lives in the same village and runs a dog-fighting ring. His mom works hard at a touristy restaurant to support her kids. Tariq is the youngest of 3. They'll never own a car. Or a washer. However, Tariq and his mom are some of the kindest people I've ever met, with the biggest smiles I've ever seen.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...riqandZach.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ete/Tariq2.jpg

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ariqathome.jpg (at his house)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture9-1.png (in my apartment)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture7-3.png

Tariq's been asking for only one thing for the past few months. It's a Penguin Pillow Pet he's seen on TV. They don't have things like this in St Kitts. It's a whopping $19.95 US, and shipping down to St Kitts would probably cost the same and it'd take about a month to get to him. http://mypillowpets.com/shop/penguin/

I wish I could show you pictures of the inside of his house (shack), but I don't have any. He once asked me what the screens were on my windows, because he didn't know what they were. The same with the air conditioner outside. Sometimes he may share a bed with his mom or brother. He doesn't have a lot of his "own" things. I know how excited he'd be to have his own special present from the USA, that would be all his, he could hang onto at night.

It's not much, but it's outside my budget. Things are pretty darn scary for me right now. I'm optimistic that my situation will change soon (this time next year, I'll be well finished veterinary school and working). Right now, I'm in survival mode after getting the divorce combined with our school loosing their financial aid funding.

So, I'd be happy to share "my kid" with someone. I'll give you his address, and you could help fill in the gaps where I can't. I'm still able to give him hope, love, and optimism. I promise him I'll be back to see him one day, and be able to spoil him again, and even fly him to the USA and help him with college eventually. I'll always be there for him. Very few kids in his situation will have those long-term opportunities. But at 13, all he really wants now is a Pillow Pet.

If you're interested in sharing, the best way to reach me is email: Margaret.DeSarno@gmail.com. Tariq thanks you, in advance.

This brought tears to my eyes. Sending you an email.

As usual, COTH rocks!

I hope we get updates, and Tariq gets his pillow pet! I've heard you talk about him but that's the first time I've seen pictures. He looks like a really fun kid!

Default I would love to help

BUT, I am in the middle of a terrible firestorm concerning my dogs and cannot even afford to pay attention. At some time in the future, if you keep us reminded of Tarique I can surely help out later.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    I am in the middle of a terrible firestorm concerning my dogs
    I know the exact feeling. No worries, I'll be sure to post updates. Tariq told me they couldn't afford to keep their dog (I used to give them food for her...) so he doesn't have any pets now... but soon he'll have his pillowpet. There won't be pictures (Tariq don't have reliable internet), although I sure wish I could figure out a way. That kid's smile is amazing. Thanks guys

There must be US students in St. Kitts right now who maybe could help???

you could start a facebook donation page, complete with pictures. It would surely net 40 bucks via paypal!
    Last edited by farmgirl598; Nov. 25, 2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    There must be US students in St. Kitts right now who maybe could help???
    You would have hoped, right?

I've been gravely disappointed when I've approached other students with this idea. The responses vary from "I don't have enough room in my suitcase" to "I don't have time" to "Not my problem, they'll probably rob me" to "I'm scared to walk up that road". I eventually stopped asking. I do have one friend currently on island in school.... I'll ask him. The Facebook page would be a neat idea, esp. if I could get my friend to bring things down (save the expense/hassle/time of shipping, and he could get some pictures...)

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post

I've been gravely disappointed when I've approached other students with this idea. The responses vary from "I don't have enough room in my suitcase" to "I don't have time" to "Not my problem, they'll probably rob me" to "I'm scared to walk up that road". I eventually stopped asking. I do have one friend currently on island in school.... I'll ask him. The Facebook page would be a neat idea, esp. if I could get my friend to bring things down (save the expense/hassle/time of shipping, and he could get some pictures...)
    Those responses are pretty sad. I'm glad you're doing what you can. If you want any help with the FB page or anything like that let me know, we're short on cash due to our move but I spend all damn day on the computer anymore so I could easily find some time to help out since I know you're crazy busy.

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post

I guess they'd rather party on the beach... sorry to hear about that. I hope you do find a way to help him!

Default Do you know of any church groups in the area?

I know there is a very small gospel tract group near me, that has been working in Haiti for over 50 years. If there was a local connection....
    Another killer of threads

email sent
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Operation Pillow Pet Hunt: Penguin Mission was a success!

Had to go to 4 stores, but we found one :-)

ohrebecca, you rock!

Hey FP, is there anything else he needs or wants that we can send?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

This is the coolest thread I've seen in a while. Waiting to see what else can be sent.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

this is a wonderfu idea.......thanks for sharing.........and what a BEAUTIFUL child............

i am wondering about the siblings and mom......surely they would like something for christmas as well?...pillow pets are pretty lightwgt, other things could be sent with it....

let us know...you rock

Sent you an email too!!