The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else recently laid off?

So, due to budget cuts (blah, blah, blah), I got the boot last week. 60 days until my last day, but because my position was grant-funded (I work in clinical research at a local university/medical center), no transition counselor, no payout for unused vacation, no severance, no priority rehiring. Basically, thanks for 7.5 years of blood, sweat, tears, lack of sleep, heartburn, stress, but no thanks. I'm alternating between hurt and angry and bitter and scared and well, mostly scared.

As much as I absolutely don't want anyone else to go through this, surely I'm not alone. Any tips or suggestions?

The good news is that I have a varied enough work history that I'm decently marketable and I do have options. BUT, 8 weeks is now down to 7 and there are 4 holidays (counting today) between now and my last day and I can only imagine that nothing moves fast around the holidays. And I swear the next person who tells me some asinine platitude about doors closing or things happening for a reason or some other such BS, well, they are gonna get an earful. I *know* that they are just well-meaning, but that's just patronizing.

Sigh. I think what gets me the most is that I've busted my hump for a tiny sliver of security and was finally feeling OK and now the rug has been pulled out from under me and I'm afraid that I'm going to lose everything--home, car, great credit score, etc. I'm trying hard not to mentally catastrophize, but I can't seem to stop.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Don't have any words of wisdom. Just... jingles.

You're lazy, you live off your parents, you want someone else to support you and you need a shower.

Yes, this is sarcasm. I feel for you.

What state are you in? Many require the payout of vacation.

{{{HUGS}}}
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

I feel you. I got laid off in 2009 but fortunately was able to parlay my masters into enough adjunct teaching work that I didn't have to face corporate again. Well adjunct contracts are getting harder to come by. This semester I had my first class cancellation due to low registration. That hurt to the tune of hundreds of dollars a month. Now I am not getting a contract I'm used to getting for December (I teach for a few different schools) and that's going to leave a mark budget wise. If nothing pans out I'll be in the red for December. I feel you.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

hugs....i will be unemployed as of tuesday myself, I fee for you. And yes, if one more person says anything about doors closing and windows opening, etc, they just might get decked!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Yes...I got laid off and my last day was the day before I bought my farm!!!! Yikes....my saving grace was a years' severance package and I got a new job within 8 weeks...there are jobs out there so good luck.
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

I'm in your boat.

I was RIFd 3 years ago and moved to a new lab. I took a chance with a junior Investigator. Well, with NIH cutting 30% across the board my salary was gone. : (
    So I was RIFd from that group this summer.

But I found out about 2 new PIs moving in at the end of the summer via the Vivarium supervisors.
    I emailed them both personally instead of waiting around on HR to help (like they are supposed to and never do).

Within a few weeks I landed a new position.
    The PI moved to the University and a week later received the Nobel Prize in Medicine.

You'll find something else. Industry pays way better...but there is always a trade off.
    Hopefully you have some industry in your area to check out...or hopefully your University is large and you can lab bounce.

good luck!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I'm in North Carolina. I work for Duke. You'd think they would take care of their employees, but the whole grant-funded thing (even though I was a permanent member of Pediatrics, NOT a "you're only here until this grant runs out in 24 months" kinda employee) has left me hanging. My in-house HR peep has been fairly useless, so I'm tracking down anyone and everyone that I can come up with to talk to and get help, but if I wasn't ME (ie. pushy and opinionated), I can quite easily see why someone would assume that they should just go crawl in a hole and give up.

I had an interview Tues that went well, but I don't expect them to move fast. I'm working a few other angles and have expanded my initial searches. I'm mostly confident that something will turn up, but I really don't want to count any chickens before those eggs hatch.

Thanks for the support and kind words. Not to make this political, but I got laid off due to budget cuts, but my boss gets to use her discretionary fund to hire a decorator to update her office. Don't even get me started on how angry that makes me... Yeah, I'm a 99%er and I can totally testify that sometimes, the little guy/gal is doing everything right and still gets screwed.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

Purplnurpl--I live right beside RTP. I have more industry nearby than I can shake a stick at. But I don't want to sell my soul.

So if I don't get anything, I'm contemplating seeing if I can pick up a grooming job at WEF or maybe somewhere Aiken-ish. I really hope I can find something though. But if not, the idea of mucking, braiding, etc for a few months at least makes me smile.

To all the others out there in similar boats, many, many (((((HUGS))))).

I don't want to give up teaching to go back to 9-5. I really don't. I'd rather pick up a part time job to take the edge off and continue to hustle for teaching contracts. I love teaching. I love it. I come home from work tired and happy. I smile. There was a barn worker wanted ad in the local paper. I called, but I didn't get a call back. It's probably filled.

Fingers crossed.

Paula

I got laid off last April. I still get a little upset thinking about it, but what is done is done. I found a job before my severance ran out, it isn't the best job I've ever had, but the people are great, it's close to home and it pays the bills. I feel pretty lucky.

You can find something, and will! The only tip I have is to cast your net wide. I was an industry scientist (still am) but I went from a Fortune 500 company to one of a couple hundred. I didn't dismiss academic jobs or those which were a bit of a "stretch" for my experience either. Apple for everything, you'll find something you like!

(And I totally braided manes at shows all summer to help with the pay cut that I had to take. It was fun!)
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    Proud mama to Skier's Gold and pony angels Pretty Gritty, Timely Eagle and Festive Fashion.

Don't tell my mother, but part of me is hoping that at 32, I can go be a show groom again. She's horrified.

I completely understand, Jen. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Paula

I was made redundant in July, head office in the States decided to close our little Aussie office. As a casual employee I got no severance, worst thing was that I was due to go back to permanent full time the week we finished. There goes the security I thought I had . I am now looking to move about three hours away, and have had about 10 interviews up there for jobs so far, waiting to hear back from two at the moment. I just want to move and get on with the next stage of my life, new town, new job, new people, but am stuck here as I can't move until I have a job. Very frustrating!

Best of luck in your job search, at least the horse industry can provide a fall back option for short term work!

Oh KateR, that is truly craptastic. So sorry.

paulaedwina--You are a sweetie. Let's keep mutual fingers crossed. PM me when you get an update and I'll PM you. We can celebrate together.

Thanks Jen. Much as I loved working there, the people are great- we are all still friends, I don't miss the three hours commuting a day at all! I am looking forward to moving back to the country and probably wouldn't have done so otherwise. So not all bad

Jen-

My first PI was the late Dr. Denis McGarry.
    We worked in collaboration with Chris Newgard (metabolism) who moved to Duke.
    : )
    small world eh?

We are still hiring.
    Wanna move to Dallas?
    http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/newsro...-medicine.html
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Feel for you! I hold my breathe everytime budget comes out. . . I work OPS - and I'm considered an "optional no-required position" (at least its non-required throughout the rest of the state offices, thankfully management in my region has a different idea of how optional my job is when they have to decide if they want to deal directly with my supervisor or call me for the day-to-day little things)

Hubby on the other hand - his company cut the entire department back in Feb. We got heads up last Christmas that the cut would be April 1st - surprise ~ Feb 12th - 41 guys were sent home. Severance package ran out not long ago - thankfully he was able to pick up some odds & ends over the summer...but he's been without since September now. We are 90% certain he will have something come March/April ~ but we have to get to March/April first. He's got to be throwing resume's out left & right (5 or 6 a day most days now....was more then that to start with). Unemployment didnt kick in until last week - we're going to survive. But we closed on the new farm before we realized the work he thought he had through Nov was going to be done the first part of Sept.

This economy just sucks. We've been hearing since that DH's department was just the first wave of cuts and there have been more departments cut nearly every other month over this year. So we feel we were at least lucky to have a little bit of heads up - and to have some savings to live off of or awhile (but that only last so long as we all know)
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany