The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff: Smart Phone Showdown! (iPhone v Android)

Like Eye in the Sky, I'm behind the times. I have a notsmartphone. It does have a slide-out qwerty keyboard (woo hoo), but that's it. I want a smartphone. However, I am torn...

I have played with iPhones and android phones. I can't choose!!! Thankfully I have access to a lot of teenagers with them, and a lot of coworkers have them too, so I have been playing with them. I have also been polling the crowd, so to speak. So far, people who have iPhones love them, and people who have android phones either a. seriously LOVE LOVE LOVE them or b. like them just fine, thank you, but will probably get an iPhone next.

I want to place and accept phone calls, ditto texting, play the occasional game (nothing fancy, I like solitaire, snake, tetris, those kinds of simple games), and have the ability to stream vidoes on the rare occasion I am sitting on my buttski. The camera is important to me, and I want a virtual keyboard, even with these stubby blunt little thumbs (cough toes cough). I have Verizon.

Thoughts?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I really love my Android and find Iphones awkward to use. I think you just have to go with what you like best.

Mine's a HTC Wildfire. I didn't want a huge phone, and it fits neatly into my pocket. Battery life is good. I downloaded the Kindle app and really love that. Plus, the Android marketplace has lots of free games and apps. (And you don't have to deal with Apple's version.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Forgot to add, may occasionally want to get on Facebook with it, or Google the random thing. I don't think I'm in a 4G or whatever area.

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have Verizon (the only company that covers where I live) and have the Casio Commando. The main reason I went Droid over iPhone is because the iphone battery is soldered in, and has to be changed at the repair center. The droid has a virtual keyboard, and you can turn the phone the long way to make the keyboard bigger if you want.

And there aren't very many 4G zones, but they are growing and expanding. I really like my droid.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I had an iPhone and now have an Android. The Android works better for me because despite being an apple user at home I use google services (documents, tasks, gmail, talk, etc) heavily. The Android allows me to access and use the google services in a better fashion than the iPhone. I had no complaints on my old iPhone, but the Android fits my current needs better.

I'm posting from my phone, so blame any errors on Swype (even though I can't live without it.now). I have an older Android phone currently that is around 2 years old. I'm normally one of those people that has to have a new phone every 6 months, but I love my phone so much that I haven't wanted to upgrade it yet. I did finally order a new phone today because of an early black Friday special, meaning it was free to me, and it is just the next generation of my current phone.
    I don't really think that you can go wrong with either phone. I know they both can do everything you want. I did not go with an iPhone because I am on Verizon and at that time they didn't carry IPhones and because I'm not a big fan of the Apple machine.

My officemate has an iPhone and she seems to have to pay for apps more than I do, her phone doesn't seem to work as well (echoing issues), and she asks me often how I do certain things on my phone because she can't figure out to get her phone to do things I do with mine. These issues could just be 1) the user and 2) our rural area though.

I think my phone is fun and easy to use and it does everything I want from streaming movies to editing work documents. I'm sure I could do the same on iPhone too if I wanted.

Eta my phone us by HTC as well. I tend to like them better than the others i've played with.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I have an Iphone, SO has an Andriod. They are both very good phones. I would play with them and choose whichever one you feel the most comfortable with in both holding and operating.

I just got an Android after having a GLP for a long time. I like it well enough but it's got it's issues. Such as indicating there are emails waiting but when I open the email app, it says no mail so Other than that, I like it. How do you find more apps? Are there any horsey ones I should download?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I dunno what a GLP is, but I know that to get more apps, you go to some magikal place called "the market."

I dunno, I played with a coworker'd Driod Incredible 2, and liked it. And he uses the hell out of it playing online poker. Incidentally, there is a "red" version of the same phone that would be free if I ordered it online...hmmm....

I have a Samsung Captivate and love it. I love Swype, although it took me a while to get used to it. I love the apps and I love the interface. I love that I can use my google accounts (that it syncs my appointments within seconds? Too cool!). The only thing I don't love is the monthly data charge, but there's no getting around that, and I don't think I could live without the phone now.

So the Captivate is an Android phone? What is Swype, I've seen it mentioned already. Who is your carrier, and what are you paying (if you don't mind) for the date charge?

Swype is one of the several different keyboards you can download onto your phone. Basically, you touch your thumb down at the first letter of a word and trace your finger along to the other letters in the word, picking up your finger when you finish the word. It's surprisingly accurate, and kinda fun :-)
    I'm currently using SwiftKey, which predicts the next letter you're about to type. So basically, to write "horses are awesome" all I typed was 'h-o-r-s- (then 'horses showed up as one of three choices) then 'a' (and 'are' was suggested) then 'a-w-e' and 'awesome' was suggested. For me, it's the fastest option for typing.

I have an htc Thunderbolt and absolutely love it. Whenever I have issues, which is rare, just turning off and on the phone fixes it.
    Battery life is kinda meh, but MrB bought me spare batteries, and if I know I'll be away from a charger at work for longer than normal for example, i just switch them out. I love all the apps in the market and on the Amazon App Store. MrB has an android phone too and has personalized it to extremes. It's pretty cool what to can fiddle with and make your own.

Chiming in...

iPhone all the way! I have the koolaid on infusion. I am happy to admit it, because I really do love it! It is great for my medical apps, connects well to wifi and I have had terrific customer service from at&t.

I have a droid (samsung infuse) and love it

That said - it has frozen up on occasion, and it seems less accurate when I use google maps/navigation than my SO's iPhone. For some reason it will often think I'm on a different road than I'm on and get screwy with the directions as a result. Rarely have that problem with the iPhone (we've used them both at the same time when we test this, and his won't "lose" us when mine does).

Other than that I really love it - I do not have a ton of apps, it's great for facebook and a little web surfing, google books (makes a nice little e-reader), and the few apps/games I have. I like the version of microsoft office it supports and the ease of using google docs. I think if I was more into all the neat gadgetry/toys I might prefer an iPhone, but I like this. I also like that you can remove/replace a memory card, so if it turns out you need more space/memory you can just switch the card. I think with the iPhone you have what you buy and that's it. (that said, you're probably unlikely to need that much storage on your phone given your intended use, but if you take/DL a lot of pictures, music, etc, that could be an issue)

I also love the camera on my phone, it's pretty good And has two way photography, so if I point it at myself I can still see the screen to try and get the best pic.

Battery is my only other complaint, these things suck up a lot of battery!
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    I just got an Android after having a GLP for a long time. I like it well enough but it's got it's issues. Such as indicating there are emails waiting but when I open the email app, it says no mail so Other than that, I like it. How do you find more apps? Are there any horsey ones I should download?
    Mtn, I had that problem with my Yahoo mail-it stopped loading new mail. I dont know how familiar you are with your droid features yet, so excuse me if I go more basic that you need. You want to be sure you clicked the "auto-update" box on the app, and you can check for this at the very top of the phone, and pull down the screen. If you see "updates found", go ahead and update, and keep an eye out for a box on the screen that allows you to check auto-updating.For my problem, there was another app in the market for yahoo mail, so after trying to fix it, my cellphone dealer just downloaded the new(actually older version) mail app. It worked fine, and since that was a few weeks ago, I've found that the old (better) version is back up and working, so I switched back.

Check for the "market" app in your app list, located by pressing the bunch-of-dots-in-a-square symbol on the lower left of your screen. The app is "android green" and white. Search for your mail, and see if they have another app for it

Hope this helps.

I ordered the red TheJenners!
    Caffienated brings up a good point about iPhones, although you SHOULDN'T have to change the SD card or battery on the iPhone, if you do, you're screwed because they are all built into the iPhone. My officemate just had to get a new iPhone because her old one wasn't holding a charge and she couldn't just buy a new battery. I suppose she could have sent it in, but she could have upgraded for not much more than what having her old one fixed cost, so that's what she did. She also had issues moving all of her stuff over to her new phone from her old phone throug itunes, again, that may be a user issue though.

I don't use my thumb for Swype the way bits said, I just run my finger over the letters to the word I want to type and it appears. Like they said, it took a little while to get used to, but now I can't function without it. There are so many great apps though, I love the Kindle app for those times that I'm some place without my Kindle, but have some time to kill reading. I like the Google Big Sky app too because I love knowing what stars are over me at any given time (coughcoughnerdcoughcoug). The office suite app is great for editing and viewing documents for work and I love all the games that are multiplatform now. My iPhone friend and I play Words with Friends and Hanging with Friends all the time. I also have a translator app that works great and I have used it to communicate before, which is super easy since it speaks the phrase you type in in whatever language you choose. All the voice stuff is pretty neat. I've used voice texting and voice searching (just say "mexican food restaurant in Tyler, Texas" or something like that and it will bring them up). I've used the directions app for GPS and yes, it speaks the directions to you like a reg GPS. I havent' had the issue that Caffienated has, but that could just be a location thing. I live in a pretty rural area. I also tried watching movies from the Android market and through Netflix and it worked fine.

Verizon is my carrier and I pay a bit over $100/month I think, but I have international minutes and unlimited data. I don't think you can get unlimited data now, but I was grandfathered in. I believe that VErizon is having a double the data promo right now though, so you could get 4g a month for the price of 2, etc.

Edited to add that I love the widgets on my phone too. I have 3 different e-mail account on my home screen. the market, internet, weather bug, camera, and messages (SMS). I like the weather bug app because it sends notifications for whatever area i'm in, straight to my home screen like amber alerts, weather alerts, evacuation notices, etc.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

Yes, it's about 100 a month for the data plan (wince). But I NEED it . I don't use the google maps function that often, but when I have It's been accurate. Of course that's been in a rural area so there haven't been too many streets LOL.

And I HAVE had a few problems with it freezing, but only in Facebook chat. So I always blamed the app for that - it may be the phone.

OK, I ordered the RED Incredible 2. Not as much storage as my buddy who has the same phone, but then again, I'm not going to download that many apps I don't think. And did I mention it's RED?? It's my early wedding present to myself, to match my red wedding dress .

*excited!!*

RacetrackReject...do you have yours yet??

Not yet, it shipped today. It may come in tomorrow, but I had it sent to my office so I won't get until Monday. =(
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

I just got my first smartphone a few weeks ago and have no idea how I survived without it. 0_o I didn't think I'd be so enamoured with it but... oh boy... yeah. I love it. Have a Galaxy 2S (Droid)

Prepare for the addiction.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings