The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What Common Household Thing Removes the Smell of Gasoline?

I did a little touch-up painting on something, spilled some paint on my hand, and had to use gasoline to get the oil-based paint off. Now the smell of gas is driving me nuts.

What helps cut that? I live in the middle of nowhere and am working today, or at least am tied to checking the computer at max every 15 minutes to catch the intermittent jobs when they come in. So I can't go get something, even if any kind of store were open.

Try lemon juice. I always keep a bottle of it in the fridge just for fixing smelly hands. It works for fish and onions, and other smelly stuff. I pour a big amount of it and scrub my hands together, and use dish soap after. If that doesn't do it I don't know what will.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Great! I've got lemon juice; I'll go try that. Thanks.

Coffee grounds. Pour some in the palm of your hand, add some water and rub over area that has odor. Fresh grounds work best but used will too, just might take a second try.

Coffee grounds! What a great idea. I hope that works, since the smell of gasoline is so horrible.

Try hydrogen peroxide.
    And please, next time, don't use gasoline to clean anything. It's meant to power engines, not clean hands.
    Latex paints wash off with water and a lot of scrubbing. If it's something sticky, use "Goo Gone". Gasoline is horribly toxic and also extremely flammable.
    The best thing to do on a golf course is a GALLOP!

The lemon helped.

I tried washing up with water and scrubbing first, of course. That's my standard paint cleanup, but with this, it wasn't getting anywhere at all. It's a small can of paint (like three inches high), and I picked up the oil-based instead of Latex; they had all varieties of paint in those little cans together. It needed something more than water. The gas isn't a standard clean-up option at all, just what I happened to have at the farm that would work right now. Note that I only discovered the composition of the paint upon the non water cleanup. When you are glued to a paint can and nothing helping, you have to adopt whatever reachable measures you have on hand.

ETA: I also used the gas when I had to use it out in the open air, and then washed up with the hose after that outside. Nothing except the smell on my hands made it inside. I don't even gas up the mower in the garage; anything with that is always out in the open.

I had no reason to think I needed any kind of special thing for cleanup, since it was in a rack along with latex-based cans. Should have read the can more closely. But I'm definitely not advocating gas as a standard cleanup tool, just had no choice today because it was the only thing here right now that would work when I realized too late I needed it.

I love Goo Gone-and second the not using gasoline since it can hurt your skin, and shouldn't be inside a confined space (if the stench from it gets absorbed in cloth or something it can be very hard to get rid of). I also had a friend who was covered in varnish (spraying the tongue and groove wall and ceiling boards) and he used baby oil to get it off.

part of your problem may be that when you smell something very strong like gasoline, your nose shuts down for quite a while and you cannot smell anything else - so even if the smell is off your hands, your nose is traumatized and can only smell gasoline.

But a grease-removing soap should remove the residue.

Coca-Cola gets ride of jet fuel from clothes, so I assume it should work in other areas too!!

Quote Originally Posted by JackandMo View Post
    Coca-Cola gets ride of jet fuel from clothes, so I assume it should work in other areas too!!
    It's the greatest multi-purpose product. You can tenderize meat, make a great sloppy joe sauce, clean blood off concrete, clean an engine, clean grease out of clothing..

oh and you can drink it lol
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

My DSO used to work in a refinery, and he suggested rubbing liquid dish soap into your hands, and then slowly adding water. The orange hand cleaner many mechanics use also does a pretty good job.
    My thought....rubbing a stainless steel spoon between your hands while you wash them removes the smell of garlic; might be an idea!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

^^ I've got firemen friends who keep dish soap in the shower to get rid of that awful grease and smell they get on them.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Next time if you use an oil based paint use finger nail polish remover to get it off

Wow, thanks for the tip with Coca-Cola. I never would have thought of that.

I haven't got any finger nail polish remover around. Never used fingernail polish in my life, so it's not a standard around my place. I might pick some up just in case of a future emergency, though.

Hillary-good point! Years ago I ran the tank over (it was the pump I swear and not me), so I changed shoes, and kept smelling gas. So it dawned on me that it was on the floor mat. I hung the mat up under the back porch so it would air out, and everything was good.

A couple of days later my boss did the same thing, but on her way to work. She was so mad at herself, and kept talking about the smell hanging around. When I suggested that it was on her shoes she washed the soles off, tossed them in our back garage and wore sneakers for the rest of the day. But of course she had it on her floor mats too-so we went out got that, hosed it off and put it out in the garage too. But it took all day for her to stop thinking she still smelled gasoline. The human mind remembers some unpleasant things too well. It amazes me how badly one drop of gasoline can vaporize and stink up the garage for hours.

I wish I'd thought of some of these ideas when I had a similar issue: Blade Wash that leaked onto my horse's fly ear net. Left a strong petroleum smell, I tried lots of things and the only thing that helped was a cleaner made from oranges--maybe anything citrus helps. Would have liked to seen if Coke would have worked, that would have been easier to rinse out.

My husband works with diesel and lube oil and comes home every night stinking of it. He swears by DAWN dish soap.