The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Docking tails? Wasn't there a thread....

awhile ago on this?

Something to think about.

http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2...to-sit-on.html

I have some issue with the NBT study done on Ausies - the researcher reports all data as equally vaild but there were only

6 litters that were NBT x NBT (further, 1 or 2 of these 6 litters were not included in the data analysis )
    vs
    33 litters that were NBT x Full tail
    vs
    23 litters that were Full-tail X Full-tail

Why not actually design the study properly, eg, 20 litters in each group for statistical validity & then start drawing conclusions ...

Personally I don't mid tail docking (assuming it's done properly).

Of course given Manx cat histroy, none of this can be a surprise.

My breeder was talking about natural bob tails recently too; that a bitch she knows has been exported because she may carry the NBT gene, and they don't allow docking where she went. But they said it apparently has a "kill factor" that typically results in very small litters. It was mentioned in passing and I didn't get a chance to really understand, but it is apparently believed (or known?) to be connected to another gene that typically ends in spontaneous miscarriage of the fetus or something. But it seems reasonable that sometimes the fetus might not actually die before birth and end up like a puppy in the link you posted.

I don't know which is worse, selecting for specific genetic traits or tail docking. As far as I have seen, this is they only time I've heard of specific breedings being proposed for only one trait, and one that is carried on a specific gene. I think it could be worse....

maybe we should just accept the fact that dogs are supposed to have tails and move on from there.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    maybe we should just accept the fact that dogs are supposed to have tails and move on from there.
    I like my bunny butts. I like my dogs w/o tails.

Wendy, I posted this because there is a genetic link between the nbt and it being a recessive gene for a reason.

I'm hoping that soon the parent club for my breed allows natural tails. Soon as that changes (I'm told the vote was close last time) we'll quit docking our corgis. I think the tail might help their balance in agility which is what we focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    I'm hoping that soon the parent club for my breed allows natural tails. Soon as that changes (I'm told the vote was close last time) we'll quit docking our corgis. I think the tail might help their balance in agility which is what we focus on.
    Yeah, I wish people had more of a choice. That's the only thing about it that really bothers me. I think otherwise as long as it is done humanely it's fine.

OP, that's an interesting article. Thanks for sharing it.