The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Email etiquette rant. Get yours off your chest.

I work at a school where the administration makes a conscious effort to eliminate paper waste, so they communicate pretty much solely through email. When something is really important, they make a PA announcement.

As a department chair, I too rely on email to communicate with all the teachers in my department. We have a lot of assessments with deadlines (thanks, NCLB!) (not!) and I need to hand out materials, gather them back, put them away for the next year, etc. Did I mention that I don't get paid to do any of that? Stipends for extra work are a thing of the past.

My complaint is that too many people simply do not read their email. They are crafty and figured out that many emails are telling them that they must do something. So, hey, if I don't read it, I can plead ignorance.

Well, this gives me a royal pain in the a$$. READ YOUR EMAIL, PEOPLE. It is one of the duties for which you are paid.

And, if the email asks you a question, PLEASE ANSWER IT. How much trouble is it to mouse click and write, GOT IT, THANKS.

FWIW, my family is exactly the same way. Thanksgiving is at my house this year, and the guest list ballooned by 10 people at the last minute because people finally responded when I emailed: here's who is not coming. Surprise! We're coming! Feed us!

Grrrrrrrrr

Okay, back in the holiday spirit and off to see my horsie!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I agree!!!
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Put a subject in the subject line. It should be the essence of the message.
    That shows you actually took a second to THINK about what you are trying to communicate. This is not Forest Gump territory. I dont want to open an email and be all "I wonder what's inside.
    Dear OP put delivery as well as Read receipts on your emails. Somehow I find it satisying to track the buggers who ignore me or say "I never got it".
    Last edited by Chall; Nov. 24, 2011 at 08:37 PM.

I hate really long e-mails that do not need to be really long e-mails. I try to shorten my e-mails as much as possible, while still conveying all of the information I need to.

Please, do not attach a document unless you really have to. Three lines in a test file does not need to be attached.

Do not use text speak or I will hunt you down and hit you with your keyboard until you promise never to use it again.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Put a subject in the subject line. It should be the essense of the message.
    That shows you actually took a second to THINK about what you are trying to communicate. This is not Forest Gump territory. I dont want to open an email and be all "I wonder what's inside.
    Dear OP put delivery as well as Read receipts on your emails. Somehow I find it satisying to track the buggers who ignore me or say "I never got it".
    YESSS! We have one AP who puts "from AP Joan Blow" as her subject line on every email. So if you're looking for the fire drill instructions or the assembly seating chart, you have to sort through all her emails.

I will have to look and see if we have the tracking capability.

The other thing is that at work we use Outlook, which is totally user-hostile.

As you were...
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

My top email rants (not counting spam, which is from folks I don't know) are mostly personal contact related.

1. Remove the 8 headers below yours when forwarding me that cutsie email.

2. No, actually, don't forward me that cutsie email. I have one relative who sends about 20 per day. I don't even bother to read them anymore. At least 5 per day will be titled something like, "The most meaningful email you'll ever see."

3. Spell my name correctly in your address book. Geez, I'm related to you. I also have mentioned the typo. You think you could change it one of these years?

4. Do NOT use tracking and delivery receipts unless important. I realize, OP, that you are talking about a work case. My work (basically entirely computer based) has it down right. The return receipts are only used on majorly significant items. The exclamation point for priority in the list is only used on majorly significant items. Those get my special attention from work, although I read all work email.

But on a personal level, I have one relative who sends EVERYTHING return receipt requested. Including the 4 or 5 forwards a day which that person sends of jokes, inspirational quotes, etc. At least it's not the above 20-per-day person, although it is someone whose sense of humor is different from mine (though he doesn't realize that, even though I have politely indicated so. He has his own version of "you" as he thinks you are). But everything receipt requested, even the total junk. This drives me bananas. Kind of like receiving every single piece of mail you get from USPS certified with return receipt. All your bills, all your junk mail, all your birthday cards - EVERY little thing certified. No. That function is meant for the seriously important stuff, as is certified mail, and not every single hi or joke ranks it. I make a point of refusing return receipt on all of his. But it still makes me do that extra click before I can read the message or delete. Annoying as all get out.

5. LOVE the text speak quote above. Nope, I automatically will not read that one. Delete! If you want to talk to me, use English.

My main work peeve with email is that we use it too much. Sometimes it is simpler to get your butt out of the your chair and talk to the human being you want to email. I encourage face-to-face talking in my office. Otherwise, half the people would sit around emailing each other. Ditto telephoning people -- if they are not answering their email, PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL THEM!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    1. Remove the 8 headers below yours when forwarding me that cutsie email.

2. No, actually, don't forward me that cutsie email. I have one relative who sends about 20 per day. I don't even bother to read them anymore. At least 5 per day will be titled something like, "The most meaningful email you'll ever see."
    That e-mail behavior got my sister-in-law tossed on my blocked senders list. I hate that crap, and for that reason did NOT tell her when I changed e-mail accounts. She bugged my husband tirelessly for it and he finally relented, but warned her I would not be pleased if my inbox got flooded with chain mail prayers or stuff that never passes the Snopes check.

She failed to heed that warning and as a result is blocked. I love her dearly, I really do; for that reason I haven't told her she's blocked.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My mother and I have had long chats about the emails with "cute animal pics!" and other such spam. Drives me bonkers.

1) Learn how to use your email client. If you're in charge of your organization's mailing list, I should not have to email you three times and teach you how to do it in order to get my name off of your mailing list.

2) If you proport to be a professional, use a professional address and signature line. Keep the signatures short. And in a standard font. And not in pink...

3) Just because your message is sent from your phone does not give you license to pretend you don't know how to write in comprehensible English. It is not hard to access your phone's shift key or its punctuation.

4) Proofread your message. Spell my name correctly. For that matter, spell yours right too.

I'm sure I'll think of more.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Use what you (hopefully) learn in high school! Capitalize the shit that should be capitalized, use commas and periods where appropriate, please do not stud four lines of text with three or more sets of ellipses.

Please use a subject line, esp at work.

Please use an antivirus so I don't emails from you about bLaCkmArKeT RolEx WaTchEs or making my non-existent manly bits larger or harder.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    My main work peeve with email is that we use it too much.
    Now for me, that is the opposite of a peeve! I love knowing that the instructions, link, approval, explanation, etc. is in my email somewhere. Some of my responsibilities are monthly or quarterly, and I could easily forget info someone gave me verbally. Sure I could rush back to my desk and write it down, but saving the email is easier. And to be honest there's some CYA too, for the type of co-worker who may say "I never said to do it that way." Oh yeah, you did. I have it riiiiiiight here!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

In the journalism world (from whence I came before I crossed to the better paying dark side, PR), we called a short header a "slug."

Your subject line should be a slug. Two or three words to convey the gist of your message. It should not contain the actual message"

For example:

"Stanley's suspensory"

Not:

"I think Stanley's suspensory is acting up. I coldhosed and wrapped it and think we should call the vet. What do you think?"

The second example is what should be in the message, g-d it. My Blackberry will only hold about 30 characters in the subject line anyway, so your message is lost.

Really. It makes me grit my teeth every. damn. time.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

The email subject should lead with things like

ACTION REQUIRED
    RESPONSE REQUIRED
    FYI

things like that before the 'slug' should help with people not reading/responding when they should.

I hate getting emails with text speak. Good grief...use English and type the words.

I am a professional wedding cake designer. I get emails for potential customers that are often so garbled I have a hard time understanding what exactly they want!

I love the emails that say,

howmuch for a 3 layer cake?

I am thinking "Ok, little bride chick, when is your wedding? Do you have a venue yet? How many people are you serving as a 3 tier cake can serve as few as 48 and over 200!"

Most of my brides, thank God, send emails that are easy to understand exactly what they want!!

Ok, rant over.
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

The 'reply to all' button can be VERY helpful, especially when trying to orchestrate- for example, though this IS actually hypothetical- thanksgiving get-togethers. If you tell only me you're making the pumpkin pie, and i get an email five minutes later from our sister who tells just me that she'd be happy to bring the pumpkin pie.... it makes my brain boil.

Oh and also, we have a co-volunteer who replies with TOTALLY USELESS emails, just because they're pushed to her phone. A member of the public will inquire about our organization. She has NO knowledge of what they are asking her (it's an animal she's never met- so she doesn't know if it's cat-friendly, or ok with kids, or ok out of the crate, or how much it sheds, or....) And she will respond to the person within two minutes, cc'ing the actual volunteer WITH the knowledge who has also automatically received the email something like this- with the following errors included because she's typing on her phone, "Thanks for you're interest in [our organization] [Dog name] is a real sweetheat and loves to be held. I'm CC'ing his foster mom on this email! so she'll can get back to you!"

I ALREADY GOT THE EMAIL. And actually Fido really hates to be held by almost everyone. So, thanks for that. And good job at making our group look semi-literate.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Oooh that reminded me! My current company is full of thankers! I've gotten used to it and even do my own thanking but when I first started it drove me bonkers. And still, given the choice, I'd rejoin the non-thanker side.

What I mean is the totally superfluous email that merely contains "thanks". Thank YOU for adding to my already packed mailbox!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I also hate when people type in all caps.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

....And remember kids: Just cuz you push 'send' doesn't mean your intended has actually received the message. Got into a heap of an issue with someone over that exactly. She kept getting pissed because I wasn't acting on emails I never got.

Also, "Reply" is different from "Reply All". Nothing like jamming up my mailbox with a bunch of conversational back and forth that has no relevance to me individually.

Work email:

Really, are you that important that everyone (I am talking 1000's) in the company needs to know you are out of the office?

My inbox is flooded with several of these emails daily. I have no clue who you are and really don't care if you are in or not.

Personal email:

Yes, if it says Fwd;fwd;fwd, it gets deleted and no please don't ask me if I read it.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance