The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    It's not advice, per se, but the idiots snatching at the flymasked mare reminded me of one of the dumber things I've seen a human do around horses.

Years ago, in a large city far, far away, I did horse-drawn carriage tours. One day, we all had to drive in a big parade and had the horses waiting (unhitched) in the parade staging area. One of the mares, a Belgian cross, had a strikingly long, thick mane and tail. I happened to glance over just in time to see a man crawling on his belly straight up behind that mare. And when his face was, oh, about a foot behind her heels, raised himself up a bit and grabbed at her tail. Perhaps fortunately for him, right then I picked my jaw up off the ground and loudly asked him what the he** he was doing. He was so startled he missed his grab, leaped up, and ran away. To this day, I have no idea why someone would think that was a good idea.
    WTF...

If we were having a contest as to Weirdest Sh^t Ever Seen, this would win, hands down. I cannot fathom some idiot, snake-crawling up behind a horse, and trying. to. grab. its. tail.

Did you check the local papers for suicides after that??

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvmyButtercups View Post
    Maybe there is something to schools having comprehensive sex ed now, I don't know.... haven't heard this ignorant comment in a long time.
    Im opposite. I heard it for the 1st time from my middle age male trainer (wrong time of month for handling the stallon) in the last year. Id never heard it before and I grew up with horses!
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

This reminds me of a time when Mum and I were driving down the highway towing my horse. The speed limit of the road was 80kilometres/hr (no idea what that is in miles sorry!) and the type of horse trailer was a 2 horse straight load. My horse had a really long back and usually travelled with his tail hanging out the back, over the top of the ramp. As we were driving along, the car in the next lane was level with the trailer and edging over into our lane. Mum kept moving over as much as she could safely and slowing down. Eventually she figured out that the guy in the passenger seat was trying to grab the horses tail!

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    It's not advice, per se, but the idiots snatching at the flymasked mare reminded me of one of the dumber things I've seen a human do around horses.

Years ago, in a large city far, far away, I did horse-drawn carriage tours. One day, we all had to drive in a big parade and had the horses waiting (unhitched) in the parade staging area. One of the mares, a Belgian cross, had a strikingly long, thick mane and tail. I happened to glance over just in time to see a man crawling on his belly straight up behind that mare. And when his face was, oh, about a foot behind her heels, raised himself up a bit and grabbed at her tail. Perhaps fortunately for him, right then I picked my jaw up off the ground and loudly asked him what the he** he was doing. He was so startled he missed his grab, leaped up, and ran away. To this day, I have no idea why someone would think that was a good idea.

He's no stranger and by far not as crazy as the people in these stories, but I do SOOO look forward to my annual debates with my father regarding how mean I am to keep my horse trace clipped through the winter. And I'm already gearing myself up for Christmas when I get to explain why the double bridle I asked for has so much extra leather!!