The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I have a few doozies, but these are my top two:

incident #1: The barn I used to manage had a boarders who were, essentially, horse collectors. They had property, and horses, in IL (my barn), OK, TX, and Mexico. Show-quality Appies, of all things. One of the mares that was in the barn was the past world halter mare. Very sweet, lovely mare. Problem with these boarders, however, is they NEVER showed up, for anything. Board was always paid, feed was always dropped off, but they never, EVER, came out or took an interest in their horses. I hated them with a passion for it. The first pair of mares we had in our care were easy; older broodmares, very sweet, easy keepers, etc. They were content in their stalls, and would get rotated into turnouts routinely. One day, mares are gone. OMG! I find a note in the feed bin (six hours later) "Mares have been sold, will be bringing new ones in three days." Oh, phew. BTW, mares never had names.

Three days later, I come out to feed and find myself face-to-face with the ugliest yearling and two year old I've ever seen. Yearling is fat as a heifer, 2yo skinny as a rail. AWESOME. Both are barely halter broke. The BO wound up ruining the 2yo, so her halter eventually had to stay on 24 hours.

Boarders do same routine; never show. Same feed for these two young horses as older broodmares. Whatever assholes, I'll do my best. Finally get yearling down to a good weight, and put weight on the gangly two year old. Have them both on night turn out (we had to do day/night turnout shifts) because A. They are white, so they would cook in the sun and B. They needed as much time outside as we could allow them; the two year old would stock up severely and be lame for days. I'm sure there were underlying issues, but I was on orders to not put extra care into them.

Owners randomly show up one morning before I was able to bring the fillies in. Owners start FREAKING OUT on me, saying that I haven't been going through enough feed (UM, wtf) and I need to 'fattem' up, and they should NOT be getting ANY turnout because it was dangerous for them to be outside their stalls, unless it was in the indoor arena only. After a very heated discussion with how these fillies looked when we first got them and how bad standing in a stall was for especially the two year old, they got pissed and left. Never saw them again, fillies remained at the barn.

Incident #2: Said barn had some rather...interesting...boarders. BO's daughter was an ex rodeo queen who didn't know her ass from a hole in the ground, and had NO business teaching people to ride, yet got paid $40 an hour to do so. Blew my mind.

I come down to the barn for a night check, and I catch one boarder trying to lunge her horse. Now, this girl was just. not. right. The poor horse was a 4yo, dead-head QH that she was leasing before purchasing from a neighbor. Horse had heart and mind of a saint, thank god. This boarder literally knows diddly squat about horse management, care, feed...anything. Can barely ride, yet BO's daughter thinks she is perfectly capable of everything under the sun. Boarder is in the middle of the arena, getting yanked around by this poor horse, because she is standing, WHIP IN HAND, cracking it constantly at this poor guy. I was so shocked I couldn't move...until I saw the circles the horse had CHURNED into the arena. I go running to the gate and start yelling at her to stop. Baffled, she stops him, and I notice this horse is DRENCHED in sweat and breathing extremely heavy. I did my best to remain calm as I ask her what the hell she was doing to this poor animal. "Well, BO's daughter told me to lunge Rocky before I rode." I grit my teeth, and point to Rocky's heaving flanks, and ask if she thinks that's normal. "Well that's what BO's daughter does whenever she lunges him." I about died. I proceed to explain to her in great detail how to properly lunge a horse, WITHOUT a whip, and also explain to her that if I catch her lunging her horse like that again, I will go to his owner's.

THEN, as I'm counting noses, she brings him into the alley and ties him up. She tracks me down, and proceeds to tell me how "she doesn't want Rocky eating that pig food anymore because it's not good for him." I couldn't help it this time; I whirl around, and ask just what the hell she's talking about. "Well, I was reading online and talking to H*** (another idiot boarder) and she said that when grain has corn and soybeans in it, it's supposed to be fed only to pigs." *facepalm* The feed we were using is created by a very old gentlemen at the local feed store, and it is amazing stuff. Horses love it, it keeps weight on with minimal amounts, even has biotin added to it, etc. Just all-around great feed. I explain to her that the grain we feed is not, in fact, "pig food" and that if she has such a problem with it then she needs to talk to the BO. I also rip off a label of the feed, hand it to her, and tell her to go talk to the guy who makes it and inform him that she thinks it's "pig food".

Ya. Soooo....horses MUST eat lots and lots of grain and never get turned out because it's dangerous.....and horses must be lunged until they can't breathe and not eat "pig food". Great advice.

I was once warming up my young horse for his year end schooling show championships rides and sharing the ring with another rider and her trainer. I was there by myself and just warming my horse up staying out of their way quietly wondering what made them wake up and decide to ride First Level today but minding my business and riding my horse.

Somewhere in the middle of my warm up the trainer started coaching me. Just up and started full out coaching. Keep in mind, I had never met this person or exchanged pleasantries or had ANY sort of contact with them before. I did not respond to this and just quietly kept about my business but that was really amazing. She kept right on going narrating my transitions and the whole bit. If she had said something that sounded like a remotely good idea I would have been happy for the help but as it was I simply politely went about my warm up and said, 'Have a good ride!' when it was time for her student's test.

In the end my horse won all of his classes and was year end champ with one of his rides scoring above 75%. I think he ended up ahead of them by over ten points. Yep, thanks for your help! Couldn't have done it without you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Spend a summer guiding dudes and you will collect a ton of stories.

Dude: i had a horse, he was 15.6 hands.

My Bozz: a hand is 4 inches, so it would be 15.1, 15.2, 15.3 etc.

Dude: well that depends on if it's long hand or short hand.

*facepalm*
    Sarah can 'em how it's done! http://youtu.be/OBAyrpfe0OM

I do have a few of my own, though not from strangers...

My grandpa once told me he thought I was being ripped off by my farrier for wanting to shoe my horse every 6 weeks, because when he was a boy, he shod his own horse only every 6 months! Yikes!

For a couple years, I rented a farm, but someone else rented the house on the property. She was a very sweet girl, but knew nothing about horses. She came to chat one day (she had been living there for at least 6 months now) and starting quietly, said "Girl, I saw one of those boy horses let down his penis the other day and oh MY GAWD, it looks just like a mans! It's huge! I've never seen anything like that before!" LOL

I used to work with an old redneck who would deal gaited horses. He convinced me to consign a couple of them so I could "put them on those internets." They were underweight and the first thing I did when bringing them to my place was deworm them. A couple weeks later, he gives me a package of tobacco and tells me "that horse is due for some wormin. Just put this tobaccer in her feed and it'll clean her right out." I just said thanks and threw it in the trash when I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    I proceed to explain to her in great detail how to properly lunge a horse, WITHOUT a whip, and also explain to her that if I catch her lunging her horse like that again, I will go to his owner's.
    What's wrong with lunging with a whip? Properly done it is very helpful and effective to lunge with a whip and I virtually never lunge without one.

TOTALLY AGREE with ElisLove.

Sorry "runNjump86", but there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with lunging with a whip if it's used correctly. If you don't have the skill, you shouldn't be bashing those folks who do know how to do it correctly. Since you obviously don't have the skill, I wouldn't be so quick to "go to the owners" with your misinformation about the method outside of informing them that the horse is being lunged too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    What's wrong with lunging with a whip? Properly done it is very helpful and effective to lunge with a whip and I virtually never lunge without one.
    I think the issue wasn't with the fact the girl was using a whip, but the way in which she was using it that was a problem.

Just because it has a "popper" on it doesn't mean it needs to be "popped" every ten seconds.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

My gelding cribs for a few minutes after her eats. It drives my husband NUTS and he was complaining about it one day to our neighbor, who kindly recommended we just hit him in the head with a 2x4.

My mom and I were trying to load my mare one day. She's not really scared of our trailer, she just has a kind of "I don't feel like it, make me attitude." We know how to deal with it and get her loaded every time. But this one day she took a few extra minutes and someone walked up to us and told us that his uncle or grandpa or something like that told him a trick. Apparently if your horse doesn't want to load immediately you're supposed to take little rocks and chuck them at their back legs. I just thanked him and showed him how nicely she loads WITHOUT having to throw rocks at her.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    I think the issue wasn't with the fact the girl was using a whip, but the way in which she was using it that was a problem.

Just because it has a "popper" on it doesn't mean it needs to be "popped" every ten seconds.
    Haha - Unless you're lucky like me. I'm taking care of a horse that's on handwalking/light lunging duty who only gets out of his stall for the time that I'm there. He is the laziest thing on earth and getting him to trot for 5 minutes on the lunge line each way involves lots of popping and me drenched in sweat from chasing him, lol. I wonder if people at the barn think I'm some nutcase horse abuser?

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post

Then I am not sure why she didn't show the girl how to PROPERLY lunge WITH a whip since it is a very important piece of equipment for lunging, rather than telling her not to use a whip. Yes using a whip incorrectly in any setting is bad, but then she should be instructed on how to use it properly not just have it 'taken away'.

Quote Originally Posted by khorsem View Post
    Haha - Unless you're lucky like me. I'm taking care of a horse that's on handwalking/light lunging duty who only gets out of his stall for the time that I'm there. He is the laziest thing on earth and getting him to trot for 5 minutes on the lunge line each way involves lots of popping and me drenched in sweat from chasing him, lol. I wonder if people at the barn think I'm some nutcase horse abuser?
    Have you tried actually popping him on the butt with the whip. Just like in riding, a horse needs to be trained to respond properly to the cue to go forward. If he ignores it and makes it that much work for you I would change what I was doing to make me more effective and make him listen more. A couple pops in the butt or having the whip brush the back legs may be just enough to tell him 'hey, listen up'.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    My gelding cribs for a few minutes after her eats. It drives my husband NUTS and he was complaining about it one day to our neighbor, who kindly recommended we just hit him in the head with a 2x4.
    What. The. Fuh...

This thread could be considered the most entertaining thread ever...

But, there are people out there that are naive enough to actually take someones word on bad advice.

I have to laugh though, about people that think they do everything right, and someone that does things different than they do are doing it *wrong* and need to be yelled at...

Sorry for the convoluted sentence. It just galls me though...
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Years ago I was working with a greenie who didn't want to cross water on the trail. We were taking out time, and he was getting less and less agitated and clearly almost ready to cross when an older gentleman came behind us on his horse and explained to me that the best way to get a horse over the water was to have someone go behind him and stick a cattle prod up his A$$

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Riding my horse on a trail that runs through the edge of town. Tied my horse up outside a little tourist-trap shop to go inside and get a bottle of water (store had a hitching rail). Come out and see a small child sitting on my 5yo, still-a-little-green, NEVER been around children, somewhat squirrelly gelding. Dad is trying to get a pic of junior on my horse but my fella is doing too much dancing, kid is flopping like a rag-doll up there.

Me: What the hell are you doing, get that kid off my horse

Dad: I need a picture first

Me: Get your damn kid off my horse!

Dad looks dumbfounded. I yank kid off horse and set him on the ground away from dancing hooves.

Me: What the hell is wrong with you? I oughta call the police!

Dad: Well I just wanted a picture

Me: Go to petting zoo for that crap. Besides, my horse isn't safe for children.

Dad: Well when he acts like that you should twist his ear and bite it.

Me: *hurls torrent of curses inappropriate for small children at father*

Mom appears out of nowhere horrified, hauls off dad and child.

I now make sure I pack bottled water every ride, and avoid the trail that runs through the edge of town.
    I'd bet you anything that if it had been the dad's car parked out front and when he came outside, you were having someone take pictures while you posed on the hood, he would have flipped out worse than you (justifiably) did.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    "Your horse is lame!" - said to me by a person who had never seen a Paso Fino in motion, circa 1980's.
    A friend told me of experiencing sort of the opposite: Some people with Pasos asked HER if one of their horses looked "off," and she - a dressage rider - replied, "I'm sorry, but unless the horse was obviously 3-legged lame, I wouldn't be able to judge. I just don't know enough about Paso movement to know what is correct and what would be 'off'." LOL

Wow, runNjump, fyi you are totally one of those people we are talking about here -- you really come across as someone who knows everything and knows what's best for other people's horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    A friend told me of experiencing sort of the opposite: Some people with Pasos asked HER if one of their horses looked "off," and she - a dressage rider - replied, "I'm sorry, but unless the horse was obviously 3-legged lame, I wouldn't be able to judge. I just don't know enough about Paso movement to know what is correct and what would be 'off'." LOL
    Yes, I've had that too. My horse was a little off one day, but my barn manager told me she couldn't tell because the movement looked too weird from her perspective. I'm so used to it I can tell immediately.

Quote: "She looked sad, eyes downcast, then proceeded to tell me with sorrow in her voice that if they loved me they'd stay close to me, you know, like the Native American's horses did, they didn't need fences."

Did she also mention that most Plains Indians kept their horses in bands, watched over by the boys in the tribe, and only one horse was kept by the tipi? And that that horse was tied to the owner's ankle (the rope went under the side of the tipi.)
    The horses didn't stay because they loved the man who rode them. They stayed because they were tied to him.
    Last edited by hrsmstr; Nov. 28, 2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: quote function didn't work
    The best thing to do on a golf course is a GALLOP!

Back in the day, shortly after the wheel was invented, I was a little kid riding a flea-bitten gray.

One day a barn mom saw me riding in the arena and started screaming, "Get you horse away from the other horses! Your horse has MEASLES!"

Quote Originally Posted by hrsmstr View Post
    Quote: "She looked sad, eyes downcast, then proceeded to tell me with sorrow in her voice that if they loved me they'd stay close to me, you know, like the Native American's horses did, they didn't need fences."

Did she also mention that most Plains Indians kept their horses in bands, watched over by the boys in the tribe, and only one horse was kept by the tipi? And that that horse was tied to the owner's ankle (the rope went under the side of the tipi.)
    The horses didn't stay because they loved the man who rode them. They stayed because they were tied to him.
    Nah, don't ever, ever, catch a fact in your dreamcatcher