The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

good point, and i did catch that. if the dog loved her, why did she need a leash? what a piece of work she must've been....I think it is annoyingly hypocritical when people give unsolicited advice about things they know NOTHING about. The horse world seems to bring them out of the woodwork.

Like a fellow i know who says he rides with stirrups to show the horse who's boss. his gf will never ride with stirrups, as she doesn't believe in them, or even own a pair. it took me a few minutes to figure out what he was talking about. He meant SPURS....not stirrups. No one with as little knowledge as he has should be allowed NEAR a horse while wearing spurs!

When I was a kid at a show, a woman came up to me and started reeming me because my gelding was shod. I was going to ruin his feet, and he would "flounder" because I wasn't letting his hooves breathe.

I saw her later putting hoofblack on her horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Spend a summer guiding dudes and you will collect a ton of stories.

Dude: i had a horse, he was 15.6 hands.

My Bozz: a hand is 4 inches, so it would be 15.1, 15.2, 15.3 etc.

Dude: well that depends on if it's long hand or short hand.

*facepalm*

It was also while guiding dudes that i was thoroughly chastised for swimming my mustang gelding. In a river, in 90 degree heat. This horse had maybe 45 days of riding on him at the time, and my friend and i were debating whether to cross the river (swimming) or go downstream to the next bridge (i will insert here that i'd already swum the river on that very horse just a few days before...in the morning, when the temp was maybe 45). We were right by a walk bridge for the campground but knew we weren't supposed to take horses over it (and it was really narrow anyway). So we're standing there in water up to their knees discussing whether or not to cross when a woman on the bridge begins SHOUTING at us.

Woman: You need to get those poor horses home and blanket them and give them a shot of penicillin! They'll catch a bad cold standing in that water! I've been around horses all my life i KNOW!

Me: All i could mange was to cackle hysterically and ride away.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by hrsmstr View Post
    My 'strangest advice' was when I was 17 years old and working at the track as a hot walker. When the creep started walking alongside him, though, my colt started acting up.
    Creep says, "You know, girls got no business being round stallions."
    I didn't say anything, but I was very glad I had this big horse between him and me.
    "You wanna know why?"
    "Not particularly." I said. I know now why the colt was suddenly acting up-he was feeding off my fear.
    The creep continued, "You know why this colt is acting up?"
    I said, "Because he just finished a work?"
    Creep: "No, it's because you're on the rag and studs will try and breed you."
    You know that actually was the prevailing wisdom on the track "back in the day."

I've lost count of the number of times I was told this by old timey trackers (and even the younger guys) as an absolute truism.

This was back in the '70's...

Actually, I just remember some REALLY bad advice I tried to give to a woman regarding her show horse.

I had observed her & the horse during their class and I could clearly see her mount was extremely off, especially at the canter.

Right after the class was over I tried to go over and tell the poor gal how lame her horse really was.

Luckily, my friends stopped me.

It turns out that is the way a Western Pleasure horse is SUPPOSED to move.

But in my book it still counts as one of the weirdest thing I've ever seen a horse do....

One summer when I was riding head at a summer camp, we had an aged, TB-type mare that we had a hard time keeping weight on. (We got our horses from a lease somewhere, and didn't get to see them before they arrived at camp.) The mare was a sweetheart and a saint, and we were bringing her around with lots of good hay and rice bran, I think. The riding head from the boys' camp for our organization came over for a field day and saw her. (This was the same riding head that was using a horse with a bad suspensory in her program after we put our foot down on keeping the poor animal.) Her answer for the mare: "Just give her as many oats as she wants, let her eat all night. You can never founder a horse on oats" I always wondered if this girl actually owned horses...

Not a total stranger, but I had a barn owner tell me that if the pony I was tacking up for a lesson started chewing on the saddle, I was to punch him in the nose until he stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by tm View Post

I finally ran out of food, and I put on my sunglasses and skulked out to the food store. I was standing in the check out line when the woman in the line beside me leaned over and said gently, "You know, you don't have to stay with him, honey." I just thanked her, rather than trying to explain that the perpetrator was all of six months old.
    Aw. That's kinda sweet and funny!

I just remembered a fun one.

I was about 14 years old at a sleep-away riding camp, and it was "test" day to determine what your riding level was. I had owned my own pony for years, been to this camp and knew the horses and the routine for years, and was a pretty well-versed rider at this point.

Brilliant new riding instructor told me it's my turn and to mount the obese white pony. I walked to pony, adjusted my stirrups, and went to tighten the girth since the saddle was sliding as I adjusted my irons.

Brilliant instructor - WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
    Me - Tightening the girth, the saddle feels like it's moving too much.
    Brilliant instructor - Pony is ROUND, the girth is tight, mount your horse.
    Me - I'd really like to tighten the girth.
    Brilliant instructor - NO! It's tight enough. You can't get it any tighter. That's just how the saddle fits on her. Trust me! I'm your instructor!
    Me - Okayyy

I proceeded to gently mount, and start riding around what was essentially a large wood fenced round pen.

I did my best to keep centered and balanced, but I felt saddle slipping when we're cantering. I tried to throw my weight to get the saddle back centered, but failed. Saddle slid all the way around to the side of the pony, and I collided with a board with a nice nail pointing out. Nail sliced through my shirt and my shoulder/back, and almost 10 years later, I still have a scar from it.

I got up, found myself to be fine minus the cut from the nail, and went to undoing the girth so I could fix the saddle.

Brilliant instructor - Are you okay?
    Me - I'm fine, but I told you the girth was too loose.
    Brilliant instructor - IT WAS NOT! Pony is just ROUND!
    Me - Are you crazy, did you not just see the saddle move almost complete under the horse's belly?!
    Brilliant instructor - No, you need to keep your balance better.
    Me - I hope you're not going to be my regular instructor.

And then I walked away. Thankfully, for me at least!, she got placed to the beginner riders so I didn't have to deal with her. When I told my mother weeks later, she was LIVID, and chewed Brilliant instructor a new one for being so dangerously ignorant.

Sheeesh! Some of these are just plain scary as far as advice goes!

I remember several years ago a work colleague who was a heavy smoker, drinker, bit of a gambler etc used to give me friendly banter and jibe me about owning such an expensive animal, I recall him harping on at me about why would I spend so much money each month on feed, care, boarding fees etc and giving me the run down on how much of a waste of money it was yada yada..

One day I replied with "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't gamble, I don't do drugs, and infact I barely even spend money on other outside things aside from regular household bills!!!

Due to his endless ramblings,I remember I ended up doing the sums on his cigarettes (approx a pack per day @ say 13.50 per pack $AUD) and drinking that worked out to around say $100 (AUD) odd per week (inluding going to bars or buying from the store to take home) and he gambled!!! So not even taking the gambling into consideration, he was already outdoing me in the expenses department!!!

My horse is my gym membership, my entertainment, my social life, my mental health doctor, my friend and companion and makes me extremely happy, keeps me sane, gets me off the couch and doing something productive! (He still didn't see it that way even though he knew I was right and had him with my findings!!!)

Sadly my colleague did pass away from lung cancer at age 57 two years ago.

Although he was my colleague and we did get along quite well, the above has never rang more true to me now than when we used to have these conversations.

"Your horse is lame!" - said to me by a person who had never seen a Paso Fino in motion, circa 1980's.

I also has a self-professed "cowboy" tell me that the first thing he did when breaking a stallion was to "hit 'em on the head with a 2x4 to teach 'em who's boss."

A dear kind-hearted woman who boards at my facility but in another of the boarding barns saw me measuring my horse's hematoma (sisters got in a pasture argument and little sister lost.) She asked "oh does your horse have hives too?" and I said "no, she's just got a hematoma from a fight with her sister" and she then informed me that it wasn't a hematoma (it was like 9cm X 15 cm) it was actually a "giant hive" and I shouldn't be self treating, I should TALK TO MY VET (lol!) and have him give me some fungus shampoo because hives are caused by fungus.

She wandered off before I could formulate a "nice" response and my tech who was holding the horse burst into raucous laughter.

It was some months later before she actually realized I was a DVM and in fact I was the same DVM who vaccinated her horse and floated his teeth.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Dad: Well when he acts like that you should twist his ear and bite it.

Some years ago I was riding my horse at the barn where I board. A woman drove up and asked if she could have some old horse shoes for her class (she was a kindergarten teacher). I told her where to look and went on riding. Suddenly she starts angrily asking me what I was doing and wasn't that abuse. I was at a total loss, I was just riding. Finally I figured out she thought posting at the trot looked cruel to the horse. I tried to explain nicely but she kept berating me for being mean to the horse. Finally told her to go away and read up about riding. I love people who are experts on stuff they've never seen before

I have to tell this one on myself.

I was a self-taught young teen rider in a very rural area. A retired couple who occasionally rode past our place invited me to ride with them, which I gladly accepted.

So, we're moving along at a nice "going places" trot and I looked over at the horse next to me. Legs are going everywhere! I looked down at my mare--normal trot. Back to the left--legs flying in every direction, head bobbing.

I finally worked up the nerve to say "Excuse me, I think there's something wrong with your horse..." and explained how the trot looked really, really off to me and I was afraid their horse was lame. I'm sure I blushed right down to my toes when they started laughing and explained what a "Tennessee Walking Horse" is supposed to look like...
    ---------------------------

I worked one summer as a driver for a horse and carriage company in a smallish city. The horses didn't live in the city, the lived in a lush pasture 30 minutes away and were trailered in every day. As a result of living in a HUGE lush pasture as well as rotating the work through the herd, all them were chubby. And not like a TB chubby- Draft Percheron Chubby!

And yet... I can't tell you the number of times I got yelled at for abusing those horses. Even when we were just standing at our "parking spot", horse happily napping. They were all clearly clean, well fed, and happy. Although it was summer we didn't work if it was too hot, and water was available between rides (time between rides was minimum 15 minutes so the horses could chill, pee, drink, etc.)

The one point NO ONE ever commented on was that one of the horses had a tremendous big knee from a pasture injury as a younger horse. Any horse person would have noticed it- it looked AWFUL, but she was sound on it, at the trot, on the asphalt, and had been for years.

Those were some of the best kept horses I ever met, well trained and pleasant to work with.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Used to have a buddy who had recently gotten a horse, without "doing her homework" so to speak. I mentioned to her via email that my pony had developed heaves, and how worried i was. She emailed back that she gave her horse benadryl for hives. I emailed again, it was HEAVES, not hives. thinking she had misread the word. She replied again that she gave benadryl for hives. I sent another email telling her it was HEAVES, explaining it was a BREATHING problem. She said she'd never heard of such a thing. O M G!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    I have to tell this one on myself.

I was a self-taught young teen rider in a very rural area. A retired couple who occasionally rode past our place invited me to ride with them, which I gladly accepted.

So, we're moving along at a nice "going places" trot and I looked over at the horse next to me. Legs are going everywhere! I looked down at my mare--normal trot. Back to the left--legs flying in every direction, head bobbing.

I finally worked up the nerve to say "Excuse me, I think there's something wrong with your horse..." and explained how the trot looked really, really off to me and I was afraid their horse was lame. I'm sure I blushed right down to my toes when they started laughing and explained what a "Tennessee Walking Horse" is supposed to look like...
    The first time I saw a Missouri Foxtrotter, I thought the horse was dead lame, lol. I had about the same reaction you did, both the comment and the massive blush afterward.

I did the same on a MO Foxtrotter but had the good sense to not say it out loud.

I once saw in Equus article, a horse was 15.5 hands. Equus!!

Someone tried to take up my snaffle bridle, where the horse was holding the bit, because they thought the horse would spit the mouthpiece out.

Never, ever touch my horse or tack.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Default Yup, this is old - 50s, 60s, 70s - since time began?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    You know that actually was the prevailing wisdom on the track "back in the day."

I've lost count of the number of times I was told this by old timey trackers (and even the younger guys) as an absolute truism.

This was back in the '70's...
    I got that everywhere there were any stallions around. The track, the breeding farms, at shows when I showed stallions. Stupid men, they had to be the big man, "wimin shouldn't be around the big studs because their periods were like the heat in horses". Are you kidding me???? Is anyone that backwards anymore? Maybe there is something to schools having comprehensive sex ed now, I don't know.... haven't heard this ignorant comment in a long time.