The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Amsterdam- Must sees?

I am going to Amsterdam for work in a couple of weeks and I should have a couple of days of play time while I am there. Any suggestions?
    I have a good friend that lives just outside the city, but of course, it turns out that she will be in Spain that week
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    I am going to Amsterdam for work in a couple of weeks and I should have a couple of days of play time while I am there. Any suggestions?
    I have a good friend that lives just outside the city, but of course, it turns out that she will be in Spain that week
    I think if you want to see the Anne Frank house you need to get tickets ahead of time, although I don't know how to do that. There's also the Rembrandt and Van Gogh museums. A canal tour is supposed to be fun but it might be kind of cold this time of year?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

there is so much to see and do, I am a sit back and watch the world go by, kind of person. But I always make sure to go to the Van Gogh Museum, (get your tickets in advance I wanted for 2 hours to get in.)
    Anne Frank house, there is the sex museum, the square, Amsterdam has a new trolley system I just rode it for a while and trolley hopped while it rained. Walk all around the red light district.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Another question- everything I've read (and heard from those that live in the Netherlands) says that 95% of the people are fluent in English? Besides English (duh) I am fairly fluent in French and can bumble through some German- but I don't know any Dutch other than stroopwafels I assume I will be fine language-wise?
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Like the others said--Van Gogh museum & Rembrandt house are must sees.

And Dam Square too (you can walk there easily from the Rembrandthuis).

And when you're at the Van Gogh museum, be sure to go around the corner to the Rijksmuseum--it's in partial renovation, but still well worth it.

Check out the big market on Albertcuypstraat. Be sure to go to an Indonesian (Chinees) restaurant for a rijs tafel--many small courses of Dutch interpreted-Indonesian food. They are everywhere. Canal tours are touristy, but a great way to see the city. Have fun!

you will be fine with just speaking English.

I found it very easy to understand Dutch and I would answer in English. Dutchies are very friendly and kind people. Just watch for non-Dutchies. Just like any other busy touristy spots watch for pick pocketers.

When I visited 4 yrs ago I just walked back and forth, down one block and up the other. and so one.

This past time, I was more determined to see certain things.

And I also recommend the Rijksmuseum.

Love the Dutch!

English is widely spoken.

The trolley system is easy easy to use and it's such a nice walkable city.

Go to the Rjiksmuseeum and pinch yourself in disbelief and sheer joy that you get the honor and privilege to see the awesome Dutch Masters in person. Vermeer: O. M. G. Swoon.

After experiencing some of the greatest art of the Western world you might just want to skip the skeevy touristy red light district.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    Another question- everything I've read (and heard from those that live in the Netherlands) says that 95% of the people are fluent in English? Besides English (duh) I am fairly fluent in French and can bumble through some German- but I don't know any Dutch other than stroopwafels I assume I will be fine language-wise?
    It is amazing how well people speak English there (and most speak without an accent), you should have no problems in that regard. Amsterdam is very walkable city and not really that big, as cities go. I found it very relaxed and casual, just a great place to walk and explore and people watch. Stop in cafes to have a bite or a beer and then move on to the next. Most have outdoor seating (although might be too cold this time of year). I've been there twice and felt quite comfortable there, even the time I was there alone. I never did manage a river boat tour though, thought that might be fun.

Anyway, have a great time!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

When I went to Amsterdam about 2 years ago, we didn't need tickets to Anne Frank house in advance, however we were there on like Jan. 5th so it was pretty quiet.

I loved the canal routes.

We also visited NEMO (just the boat outside).

We ate at the library--which sounds odd, but their library is BEAUTIFUL! The cafeteria was good as well.

We were just in Amsterdam this past summer. Anne Frank house -- very very moving -- you can get tickets ahead of time by booking on their website.

Besides what everyone else has said, the best thing we did was do a "free" walking tour. The idea is you pay what you think it is worth -- from nothing to a lot. It lasted about 2 hours and gave the best history/overview of the whole city. Highly highly recommended. I could try and find the details if you are interested.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but do watch for pickpockets.

You will have a blast - it's my favorite city in the world. Have a super time!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

There are several things you can do in Amsterdam that would make those 'few hours to kill' just fly by...

Have fun!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I took my boots and helmets with me to Europe on a whim, and managed a spontaneous trail ride in Hyde Park, London, AND a wonderful dressage lesson at the Hollandsche Manege, Amsterdam. They were very welcoming when my mom and I wandered in off the street to ooh and ah over their horses and they managed to get us both in for a lesson later that week. This was 1997—things may have changed.

It's a beautiful city! Have fun!

http://www.dehollandschemanege.nl/
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

The Heineken museum is actually really fun, if you like beer. Beyond what everyone else has suggested, the city is set up for walking or biking so rent a bike (or walk) and you'll see a lot of great sights. It's pretty cool the things you'll stumble upon.