The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just dawned on me: my job is a pain! But I mean IN MY BACK...

I'm on vacation this week. I have been doing all of the barn chores since my partner/fellow barn leaser is away. I'm finding enough stuff to do (imagine that!) that I'm spending most of the day there... not riding though, just doing cleaning and maintenance... turnout/in... some winter prep too.

And I'm nowhere NEAR as body-sore as I am when I am working and trying to do the barn stuff. In my job I sit pretty much all day. My company made a special effort to get ergonomic chairs but I don't find mine particularly comfortable.

I don't know what I'd ask for or try to arrange if I were to decide I needed a different chair, so I'm tabling that for a bit. I'd love suggestions for exercises or habits that would keep me more comfortable both at work and at home doing barn stuff. If I were disciplined (and assuming I wasn't crazy busy) I could get up and walk around the floor every half hour. What else?

Funny if all the pain I've been attributing to the self-care horse work is really from my job... actually not that funny...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

What is your activity level outside of work? Maybe a stretching/strengthening program would help? I just had a week where I didn't go to the gym (sick, crazy at work) and my back started to get sore - I attributed that to too much sitting and not enough of my normal core exercises and stretching.

Also I have an Obus Forme back rest - recommended to me by physio after my back seized up. Sometimes it's in my car, sometimes at work. I really need to buy another one so I can be more consistent!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Get one of those exercise balls and sit on that.
    We all have one of those in our office to sit on. You seriously work your core just sitting and staying balanced.

I don't have back issues or sore hips from sitting in an uncomfortable chair all day.

Also get up and move every hour. Just a few minutes walking around, or doing some simple stretching can definitely help.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

The "back chairs" that were so popular a while ago, where your knees point to the floor, may be a help.

I liked the knee chair but it did not adjust enough for certain work desks (i.e. mine). I am 5'3" but my desk is designed for a 6' man.

I have the same problem with the balance balls - one that is high enough for the desk, is too high for my feet to touch the ground!!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I'm building a treadmill desk so that I can be walking all my work day. My job is a telecommute, which is a good and a bad thing. The bad is that I get hyper focused and hours go by. And I'm not doing barn work any more, so no lifting and no squats. There aren't enough hours in the day to walk the dog (condo) and ride two horses. The good is that I am riding lots more than when I had my backyard barn, but even that feels kind of sloppy. So, if I crank up the vitality at the same time I crank out a paycheck, things will be so much better all around.

Google treadmill desk for some examples. I ran across the idea in Swim magazine. My treadmill will be the Smooth 7.35. I'm going to place a tall hutch top in front of it to hold monitors and then put a wooden table extension on the bars as the work area. Hopefully, that works out well. If not, I'll think of something.

I always think better when I'm moving ...and that spare tire really needs to go.