The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does a fully elastic breastplate really work?

I trail ride to and from my lessons (including up and down hills) and jump fairly big occasionally. My saddle fits well, but I do have minor slippage issues associated with having a shark-fin withered TB etc etc. (I do have non-slip pads, but my horse has sensitive skin and these aren't really breathable, so he gets funguses from these - yes, i do wash them regularly, rotate through 4 little rectangles - so I'm trying to phase them out if possible).

So, anyway, I have an old leather & part elastic breastplate that seriously needs replacing (the elastic is all stretched out & curly (basically, not even elasticy anymore) - not from this horse, just way past its time). I recently bought the Smartpak Antares knock off elastic breastplate, but have been reading up and doing some research and it seems like the 5-point breastplates are the new "thing" and do seem to hold the saddle more effectively than typical breastplates, while also keeping the horse from being over-girthed.

But, I guess that's not the point of this thread. My question is: Will a fully elastic breastplate like this Smartpak one (http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/harwic...x?cm_vc=Search) just stretch out and, perhaps worse, as the saddle slips back (even for just a little as I'm talking about here), will the elastic just stretch back and become tighter around the horse's neck/shoulders as the saddle slips?

I literally just received this in the mail and am not sure whether I'll keep it. Also, it's really more blue with pink/violet lines instead of white, which is also kind of a bummer. So, anyway, I know a lot of people use these big full elastic breastplates, but curious as to what other's experiences have been. Thanks!

I use a partial elastic breastplate by Nunn Finer. I've been using it almost everyday for four years and the elastic has not stretched out.

http://www.nunnfiner.com/PhotoGaller...ProductCode=47
    Last edited by Cookie4u; Nov. 23, 2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added link

I use an elastic breastplate, Never had it stretch out, the saddle can still slip a bit but it certainly holds it in place well enough. To keep it from tightening around the horse's you make sure to tighten the part that goes between the front legs enough. I still always adjust my saddle just before I go into the show ring to ensure it's hasn't slid back.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    To keep it from tightening around the horse's you make sure to tighten the part that goes between the front legs enough.
    This is really smart. I would say "Duh" (to myself, not you), but this seriously hadn't occurred to me and makes a lot of sense

I use one and I love it. Elastic has held up very well. Gets dirty but cleans off with the hose.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!