The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going to my first sale...Advice? Superior ASB sale

I am headed to my first sale this weekend. More for research than anything, but, you never know!

I have 3 horses that I want to see in person and decide from there if I want to actually bid. I also want to go to the tack sale.

I know that I need to set a mental limit and stick to it.

Beyond that, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
    Last edited by justslide; Nov. 23, 2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: change title

What auction?

sit on your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

The Superior Horse Sales Fall auction at the National Equestrian Center.

I have a good idea of what they are going for based on the catalog/prices from the Tattersals auction results.

If you are looking for something in particular l would not recommend going to an auction. If you are looking for a pasture pet or if it doesn't matter if there is something wrong with it then an auction is the cheapest way to go. You never can tell what you are going to get.......you may find a diamond or you may get a lemon......no telling
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    sit on your hands.

We have a local auction and over the years have bought a handful of horses... Every single one of them has turned out to be either psychotic or lame.... And guess where they get resold - the same auction.

There are some good auctions out there, but really do your research and talk to some other local equestrians who have frequented that sale.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

What I know about TSE Tattersall's sales is that you can contact the consignor ahead of time and try the horse if you so desire, you just have to pay out a premium to the auction house if you negotiate a sale outside the auction. Tattersall's at the Red Mile had a good reputation partly because the horses were stabled there and very often you could see your prospect and ride it down the aisles before bidding (this per my trainer) which is a great deal more than you get at most auctions.

What she would do for Tattersall's is sit down with the catalog and go over the statements and the pic if it had one, mark the likely prospects, get to the Red Mile and find the horse, talk to the consignor, try the horse if she had a good feeling about it and then bid her limit if he still looked good when he hit the runway in front of all those people.

Bear in mind you still are buying as-is. The only thing I remember is a vetting after the fact, no PPE's.

Now, I don't know anything about the Superior fall sale except what's on google, which says it's an ASB/hackney etc venue, so I'd suggest changing the title or your OP to include the name of the auction and maybe the ASB people will give you better tips.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Leave your heart at home....
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Leave your checkbook and credit cards at home!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Thanks ReSomething -

Changed the title - hope that helps. I know what I am looking for - going to this sale to see if anything fits my criteria. Going more to see what is out there, meet ASB people and make some contacts to hopefully find what I am looking for if nothing is at the sale that fits in person.

I am planning on going out there a few hours early to see if I can find the consignors and see the horses in advance.

I appreciate the advice! Thank you!

ASBs?

how about looking at the ASB needing homes thread?
    I think there are a handful good ones left that need a soft landing.

(naturally, if you want to look at your dream horses )

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=310956
    GNU Terry Prachett

I bought a horse at a ranch horse auction several years ago. He came with a clear PPE and registration papers. It was a blast! Don't let people scare you away...but be realistic about the risk.

I kept him for three years and sold him to my neighbor for more than I paid. He says this horse is the best horse he's ever owned, and I can still stop by his pasture and give him a pat every now and then.

It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of an auction. My heart just about beat out of my chest when it was down to just one other bidder and me. Very exciting. Nerve-wracking. Fun!

Just don't bid more than you're willing to write off as a bad investment. I liked the horse a lot but he was a better match for the man down the street.

LoL

Yeah, have a good time.

it's not the local cheap horse sale.
    GNU Terry Prachett

What are you looking for? Broodmare? Those went very cheap at Tattersalls sadly. Young prospect? Made horse? 5 gaited? Park? From what I heard there were some beyond amazing deals at the Tattersalls sale this year, though there were of course the usual high sales (thank god!) but sadly all the markets have gone down. A friend of mine just did the live feed for the St Louis show though and the horses being sold trainer to trainer and in house are still going for very decent money.

@Couture - I am looking for a gaited ASB for driving/riding. Prefer a mare. A prospect that has been well started or a mare with nice bloodlines that didn't quite make it in the show ring would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by justslide View Post
    @Couture - I am looking for a gaited ASB for driving/riding. Prefer a mare. A prospect that has been well started or a mare with nice bloodlines that didn't quite make it in the show ring would be perfect.
    There is a thread on TROT for the Superior sales.

http://trot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8840

Quote Originally Posted by justslide View Post
    A young, good thinking horse, broke to ride and drive, confirmed to both rack and trot should be what is bringing premium prices. Do your homework, good horses definatly do go through the sale. Breeders that need to reduce numbers, private owners whose situation has run out of times, those of us who are not in an area that people think of when they go horse shopping. Problems get dumped too, so like I said do your homework. Also go right to the source and contact some breeding farms such as Reedanland (Iowa), 3-T Farm (Kentucky), Royal Crest (Wisconsin), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    A young, good thinking horse, broke to ride and drive, confirmed to both rack and trot should be what is bringing premium prices. Do your homework, good horses definatly do go through the sale. Breeders that need to reduce numbers, private owners whose situation has run out of times, those of us who are not in an area that people think of when they go horse shopping. Problems get dumped too, so like I said do your homework. Also go right to the source and contact some breeding farms such as Reedanland (Iowa), 3-T Farm (Kentucky), Royal Crest (Wisconsin), etc.
    Yes, a well started confirmed 5 gaited horse is going to be a high seller at the sale, as that and a good Park horse is what the trainers hope for. Depending on how far you want to travel and the price range you will go to I can give you the numbers of some trainers that always have something for sale.

No advice, but my friend and I are going for the tack sale.