The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Greyhound manor coat pattern—HIGHLY recommended.

This wonderful dog coat pattern from Greyhound Manor disappeared from the internet a few years ago. I have remade it again and again from memory for various thin-skinned dog friends, and I'll make one for my chihuahua as soon as I get to the fabric store. I'm really happy that an archived version showed up online when I searched again today.

I am a beginning seamstress with virtually no skills beyond trace, cut, sew. This coat is not hard to make. I've adapted to fit staffies, pointers, and chihuahuas.

The pattern: http://web.archive.org/web/200702040...d/hoodpat.html

The coat on my dear, dead Satchel: http://files.dogster.com/pix/dogs/90...1134950669.jpg
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Very very cool! Thank you for sharing! Makes me want to get my hands dirty and try to sew.

Very neat!

For those who are seriously not sewers (s-OH-ers, not s-EWE-ers ) , you can also cut the sleeve/arm off a big old fleecy or sweater at the armpit seam, line up the sleeve alongside the dog with the cuff end nearest the front, guesstimate where the legs are, allowing for the cuff to become the collar, and cut holes for the legs (this may take a few tries).

Then, pull it over the dog's head, pop the legs through the previously cut holes, and trim the armhole end to fit around the tummy, etc.

Not quite as stylish, but works in a pinch, and does keep their tummies warm.

Thank you! I've been thinking about making a dog coat and wasn't sure where to start.

How did you modify that for your Staffie? I have a Basset/PB (or Staf) mix with possibly a little JRT thrown in. She's all bully in front and Basset from the shoulders back, but short legged and only weighs 25 pounds. The neck and extra coverage for a Greyhound would not work for her. Even the one in the picture of your dog would be too long. Have you ever tried a straight cut or tapering the hindquarters?

I have yards and yards of fabric sitting around and a great machine and surger that are collecting dust. My husband would be very happy if I put them to use again, even if he still has to repair his own clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGuineaPigLady View Post
    Thank you! I've been thinking about making a dog coat and wasn't sure where to start.

How did you modify that for your Staffie? I have a Basset/PB (or Staf) mix with possibly a little JRT thrown in. She's all bully in front and Basset from the shoulders back, but short legged and only weighs 25 pounds. The neck and extra coverage for a Greyhound would not work for her. Even the one in the picture of your dog would be too long. Have you ever tried a straight cut or tapering the hindquarters?

I have yards and yards of fabric sitting around and a great machine and surger that are collecting dust. My husband would be very happy if I put them to use again, even if he still has to repair his own clothes.
    For Satchel, I just measured and then cut it a little long because he had a chilly tummy . . . . I think you could alter it with a more tapered cut in the back. It's good to trace it onto an old feed sack or something so you can see how it hangs, remembering to leave some room for the seam allowance. It will be fully reversible when you're done, too, which can be fun!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Which fabrics did you all use? Where did you find them? I really want to do melton wool on the outside and then a thin fleece on the inside but can't find a good place and am half considering retiring the old hole-y melton cooker and sending it to a new life as dog blankets.
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    Which fabrics did you all use? Where did you find them? I really want to do melton wool on the outside and then a thin fleece on the inside but can't find a good place and am half considering retiring the old hole-y melton cooker and sending it to a new life as dog blankets.
    Search the thrift shops for old melton coats, and then cut them up as required!

For fleece, Polartec is far and away the best quality, and has the greatest variety, and it's now produced by a cooperative, who are SUPER helpful and knowledgeable. They also do some amazing deals fairly frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    I've used polarfleece, mostly because it's so easy to work with, though I also made a coat with an old cotton blanket as a liner and new acrylic "silk" on the outside. I think just about anything will work, so long as your sewing machine is up for the task!