The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NowThatsATrot View Post
    Both parties should get something out of a good WS position. What will "I" get working for "you" that I wouldn't get doing stalls at the training center up the road? What will you get from me that you wouldn't get from a regular hired laborer?

Many young people dive into being a WS for the exact reason you state (I know I did) and just like those that go off to college, there are some that find they aren't cut out for the daily grind and end up switching "majors." And like college, there are many that can't fit a wage-earning job around a full day of "class" -- the difference being you can't apply for a scholarship or financial aid for Working Student University, so if you can't make your ends meet, you might need to drop out.

(I don't include horse shows or even lessons in this, I mean basics like groceries, work clothes, car expenses, and your own horse's care if it applies.)

I have a group of friends several years younger than me (read: still in high school), and when they hear about my current horsey job, they think I'm SO lucky to be around horses all day! I tell them to find a summer WS job, or even come work for me for a weekend, and then see how they feel... I'll let you know when I find any that took up the challenge and didn't change their minds.

Those that grew up without a lot of hands-on horse experience do tend to underestimate the amount and type of work that goes into daily barn life, and some do get overwhelmed or realize it's not for them. For some of us, it's not an issue of being able or even wanting to do the work, but just surviving long enough to learn anything. For me, a good WS position would have been one that is not dependent upon outside financial help.
    Maybe the key is the type of person that you get. I can only look at it from my point of view as i was a parent the paid for everything... probably to the tune of 25k a year.
    I really wish i could post what the barn offered the WS but i dont want it to seem like it is an advertisement. Lets just say they got all of what i paid plus a small salery, plus house and car and gas. Did they have to clean stalls absolutely as did everyone else that worked there....was it long days, yes as it is for everyone. This is not my own barn, this is just a barn i board at, so i don't have any say, i just think we maybe have to find someone that wants an opportunity to show, and have a competitive horse, and be part of that kind of scene.
    Thanks for your reply....
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Seems Boyd is looking for a working student again, and COTHers need not apply!

http://boydandsilvamartin.blogspot.c...durra-usa.html

If you are a person who posts comments on The Chronicle of the Horse's chat room, this job is probably not for you...
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

7 members found this post helpful.

Well *that's* classy

Do they realize that there are COTHers who clinic with Boyd? What a dumb statement, if purely from a business point-of-view.

Not to mention a large portion of us COTH'ers either donated items or money after the fire.

Geez.....

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

10 members found this post helpful.

Wow - tacky.

I am certainly not interested in being a working student, but I am definitely part of their target market for buying a horse or supporting them by participating in clinics/taking lessons/donating money for hardships like a barn fire. They should think twice before saying rude things about people who post on Coth - I tend not to give money to professionals I find insulting no matter how talented they may be.

Wow! That wasn't very nice at all. Rather a swipe at COTH even if inadvertent.

I certainly would not be qualified (or able, or interested) in a working student position with Boyd Martin, however I do post here and I did donate to the fire fund, and his sentiments are quite a slap in the face.

ETA: He really could be missing out on some talented prospects with that proviso...

I think I'll apply. I'd be perfect for the job, no?

12 members found this post helpful.

Seriously? Doesn't anyone else think it's funny? Flame suit on, but I thought it was witty and most certainly did not take offense. Not something meant to be taken quite so literally, and definitely not something worth getting your panties in a twist over...

11 members found this post helpful.

Really, was he kidding? Actually that would make more sense..

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSjumper View Post
    Seriously? Doesn't anyone else think it's funny? Flame suit on, but I thought it was witty and most certainly did not take offense. Not something meant to be taken quite so literally, and definitely not something worth getting your panties in a twist over...
    That's how I read it too. I think it was just a tongue-in-cheek reference to the beating he took last time he posted a WS position (see: this thread prior to current posts). The only 'barb' was maybe saying 'this is how we do our WS program, not really interested if you agree'. Anyhow, I chuckled.

6 members found this post helpful.

Even if he was kidding, its not appropriate for what should be a professional business communication. Even if it is on a blog, let's keep it classy shall we?

I posted a comment with my COTH name. I normally don't get involved in stuff like this but I am so tired of these "BNTs" treating the rest of us (mainly, the working adult amateurs) like they have absolutely no use for us (unless we happen to buy them a horse or write big checks). What's that saying? "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"? Well, this hand will not be feeding anything that supports Boyd Martin, whether he was joking or not. A little bit of class and graciousness goes a long way.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

8 members found this post helpful.

Too funny! Hopefully COTH readers would find a better Pro to work for anyway, I mean COTH posters are very good at skimming the cream off the top! I don't care how good you if you are a Pro you should act like one, even on a blog.

It is true though, most COTHers apparently would NOT be happy working for him! I know I wouldn't (even back in the day) and I was one of those idiots who LOVED barn work. Not so much now I'm old and crippled though.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

5 members found this post helpful.

Default Just curious

This is NOT meant in a mean way, I'm just really curious. I know that the fire was terrible and they were the recipients of a good deal of donations of all sorts of stuff. Didn't they have insurance? Even after the fire compared to me and a lot of readers they were loaded (which goes more to show how broke I usually am than how "rich" they are! LOL) The Red Cross only puts up poor people for a week or so! Maybe a trip to Wally World. Even I have renters insurance.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by JSjumper View Post
    I thought it was hilarious, but then I can recognize when someone's being tongue in cheek.

I suspect, though, that it's not really aimed at someone like me, but at the sort of person who would get all panty wadded over a joke reference to a thread on which people got all aflutter over his right to run a WS gig as he sees fit. Sort of a shorthand way of saying "If you've got no sense of humor, you need not apply."
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

14 members found this post helpful.

^ditto that!
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Double ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    I thought it was hilarious, but then I can recognize when someone's being tongue in cheek.

I suspect, though, that it's not really aimed at someone like me, but at the sort of person who would get all panty wadded over a joke reference to a thread on which people got all aflutter over his right to run a WS gig as he sees fit. Sort of a shorthand way of saying "If you've got no sense of humor, you need not apply."

1 members found this post helpful.

^Triple ditto. BTW, back in the stone ages, when I was a WS, I was too busy and tired to be posting on the internet (not that there was an internet at the time). If I were still young, I'd be fighting for this gig.

I thought it was hilarious. Some folks need to find their humor bone and hang out with it for a while.

6 members found this post helpful.