The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sweaters over polos/show shirts

I have seen a lot of riders schooling in sweaters - usually cable knit, v-neck or crewneck. Do any of you ride in these, and if so, where do you get them from? I'm having a hard time finding a plain sweater that is fitted enough for riding - most of the ones I'm finding either have some sort of design or aren't very fitted. I have heard that Hadfields carries them, but it seems that they are only at certain shows.
    Thank you!

I got a few from Gap. cheap, fitted, and lots of colors.

Mine is from american eagle and i actually got it at Plato's Closet (a higher end resale store). fits great, not baggy but still enough room to pull over a show shirt or polo without feeling like i'm wearing a fat suit.
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

Find a Tommy Hilfigger outlet (cheap stuff), his sweaters are dark, some with ribbing some without and all are fitted!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Me too...I love that look (but I also don't want to subject the nice ones I wear to work, etc., to the rigors of riding and barn work). I'll bet places like Lands End or LLBean have some affordable ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Me too...I love that look (but I also don't want to subject the nice ones I wear to work, etc., to the rigors of riding and barn work). I'll bet places like Lands End or LLBean have some affordable ones.
    Yes, Lands End, LLBean, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Eddie Bauer. But be careful, some are less fitted than others, and also I don't like them too long, I think I had to shrink my Eddie Bauers in the dryer. But buy them in outlets, ebay or on sale, then you don't mind wearing them to the barn.

If you want a cheaper way to get nice sweaters that you don't worry about trashing via the barn, look on eBay. I've picked up a lot of nice sweaters over the years there. I also retire my work sweaters (usually thin, fitted sweaters) to riding sweaters when they start to look not-quite-work-worthy.

But I will say you can get nice fitted sweaters pretty much anywhere. I have sweaters from the Gap, Express, Old Navy, Macys, Nordstroms, eBay, and just about every horse clothing manufacturer out there (Ariat, Goode Rider, Kingsland, etc....you get the point). I usually don't wear a riding sweater for more than a season or two, so my favorites are usually the cheaper (i.e. Old Navy, Target, etc.) ones.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old Navy, gap, even walmart can have some decent looking sweaters. I'm also a fan of sweater Vests for riding as it leaves the arms free. About half my riding clothes are from walmart/target, and the other half is comprised of my 'nice' stuff, like pnw said, that has started to wear out or not look as sharp for work or nicer social outings any longer.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I just got one half off at Kohls yesterday - $17! The Gap and Old Navy always have some great sweaters in the Fall as well.

I get all of mine from Ralph Lauren or Lands End! Love riding in sweaters.

My favorites are from Old Navy but I frequently get them from nicer consignment places. I think I have a few from Gap but I don't like them as well.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I get mine from Gap or Lacoste and Ralph Lauren ones from consignment stores. I love that look!

I love that look! It's just now starting to get cold enough where I live to ride with polos and sweaters I get my sweaters, (v-neck and cable knit), from Ralph Lauren. They're expensive but look great and hold up quite well.

Icebreaker makes wonderful, fitted merino wool sweaters that are designed for active sports, mostly climbing, biking and running, but they are also great for riding. With merino you can get warmth without bulk. I have a v-neck one that fits nicely under a show coat and can't be seen.

Their stuff is not cheap though, but it is well made, holds up to abuse, and looks great.

mine are from either ralph lauren, old navy, nordstrom, target, or jc penney. i hear hadfields also has some nice ones, but i don't have any from there.
    i don't care for the super low vnecks in the womens so sometimes if they run small enough (i'm quite petite), i will get them in the mens or boys department haha.

Love the Old Navy sweaters!
    *We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

I get all of mine at Salvation Army on wednesday ( half price day) I pay about $2 and I get Gap, Old Navy, RL, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, LL Bean, you name it!!! I refuse to pay good money for barn sweaters, but I want nice ones LOL!!! I even get them for my daughters there. Can't beat the price!!!!

I've actally found nice sweaters for the barn at Sam's Club. I hae one that I've had forever that is perfect for everyday - a little longer than average, perfect weight cotton with a 1/4 zip front. I adore that sweater.

Penney's also has decent ones that you can find for a good price when they're on sale.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

The ones I wear to winter schooling shows now are from Target, but if you're smaller framed I also recommend the boys' department of ralphlauren.com -- you can find lots of nice sweaters on clearance. (I also buy my polo shirts there.) I like the Target sweaters better because the gauge is a little finer, plus they have a touch of nylon in them that helps them keep their shape.

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    Icebreaker makes wonderful, fitted merino wool sweaters that are designed for active sports, mostly climbing, biking and running, but they are also great for riding. With merino you can get warmth without bulk. I have a v-neck one that fits nicely under a show coat and can't be seen.

Their stuff is not cheap though, but it is well made, holds up to abuse, and looks great.
    I second this. They are pricy- but oh so worth it. I have a few different weights depending on how cold it is outside/at the barn. I ski in mine as well.