The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SPANISH DRESSAGE SADDLE

I would love a Spanish dressage saddle for my two Spanish cross horses.
    My friend bought a Ludomar Relves saddle from Viva Iberica. It was custom made for her and was supposed to be an XX wide tree. The saddle they sent had a medium tree at best and was U shaped which would only have fit a sway backed horse. Viva Iberica said it was custom made so you own it. Ludimar didn't even respond to her complaints. So Lesson learned, no Ludomar and NOT from Viva Iberica!
    I'm thinking about the Zaldi Relves saddle or the Zaldi Lusitanus saddle. They are both made on the same tree. I've heard good things about the fit of the Lusitanus saddle and it looks Spanish, but the Relves looks more Spanish.
    Does anyone own either of these saddles and how is the fit? What are your experiences with Spanish saddles?

Am I the only one with a Spanish horse who wants a Spanish saddle?

There was a gentleman at 2010 WEG that manufactures all the saddles for the spanish riding school. He had some used ones from retired horses for sale, and they were very nice. I bought a saddle pad from them, but I can't find their business card. Perhaps someone else remembers and can tell you?
    I've sat in several spanish saddles over the years and his were the best in terms of twist for the rider.
    If you find a physical store on the east coast that has several to sit in, I'd love the info!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by ljo View Post
    My friend bought a Ludomar Relves saddle from Viva Iberica. It was custom made for her and was supposed to be an XX wide tree. The saddle they sent had a medium tree at best and was U shaped which would only have fit a sway backed horse. Viva Iberica said it was custom made so you own it. Ludimar didn't even respond to her complaints. So Lesson learned, no Ludomar and NOT from Viva Iberica!
    Both Spain & Portugal are part of the EU & there are fairly strict regulations to protect the consumer, she may want to pursue this from that direction.

No, I've been looking and it seems you have to order them from Europe blind.
    I would love a store that stocked them so you could sit in one before you order one. I thought my friends Viva Iberica/Ludomar experience was shameful.
    There is a Zaldi Lusitanus saddle on Ebay and that was the best look I've had of one yet. It has a narrow-medium tree so it wouldn't fit my horses, but I like what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Both Spain & Portugal are part of the EU & there are fairly strict regulations to protect the consumer, she may want to pursue this from that direction.
    I wouldn't even know how to begin pursuing it from that direction. If you know, I'll pass it on.
    Thanks

You could call these folks; http://iberianconnection.com/
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Iberian connection is just a different seller, but thanks.

Iberian connection is just a different seller, but thanks.
    Yes they are - but they may have a trial saddle programme. It would be a lot easier to deal with a vendor in the United States.

Your friend would be best served by pursuing a return via her credit card provider.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I wouldn't even know how to begin pursuing it from that direction. If you know, I'll pass it on.
    Thanks
    Sorry no specifics, we lived in Ireland as they transitioned into the EU & retailers were very conscious of the new regulations, there was alot of public advertising of consumer rights as well.

I'd Start with Google & send out letters to the various organizations.

I think Iberian Connection sells their own brand saddles and I am interested in the Zaldi saddles since Ludomar saddles fit so badly.

Iberian Connection sell Monturas Lucas who have a flexible tree.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I would also recommend just calling and chatting with the folks at Iberian Connection. I buy a decent amount of tack from them and they are incredibly knowledgeable about Spanish and Portuguese tack and are so willing to answer questions. I've had nothing but good experiences even when I haven't wound up purchasing from them.

Of course I wouldn't call them up and just waste their time if you know you won't buy from them no matter what but if you're open to various options a call to them will probably get you a lot more info than most on COTH could give. I think they can also order items that they don't normally carry but I'm not 100% sure of that, I just seem to remember one of my friends saying that they did a special order of a saddle for her.

ah, here we go:
    http://www.spirigsaddlery.com/
    very very very nice people with good quality saddles
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I know Spirig Saddlery has some very nice saddles, but their Spanish saddles aren't the style I want.
    Thank you

UPDATE:
    I bought the Zaldi Relves saddle and I am happy to report it has a normal tree.
    My horses take a med-wide tree in a good German saddle, but I ordered the x-wide tree in the Zaldi. I think it's equivalent to a generous med-wide tree.
    The saddle is very pretty and very Spanish looking. The leather is not quite as nice as the leather on the Ludomar, but the Ludomar tree was horrible!