The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who'd a-thunk?
    Quarry Rat

This is "news"?

I've always had my horse's teeth checked annually.

Good for business!!! Lol.

Would anyone seriouslly advocate NOT doing routine floats and mouth inspections?

Might be good for business, but probably MORE good for the horses. And if there wasn't any "business" in taking care of horses' teeth, then when we acutally NEED someone with expertise we're up the creek.

I daresay the above applies to whomever is one's equine tooth-care provider of choice, and is irrespective of the letters after the practitioner's name, or lack thereof.
    Click here before you buy.

Don't know of anyone that doesn't advocate for such care but you can certainly tell those that are in need of business!

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Don't know of anyone that doesn't advocate for such care
    I know it hard to believe but there are still many who are not yet enlightened..
    http://www.training-horses-naturally...necessary.html

you can certainly tell those that are in need of business!
    Wrong again, I've been unable to help all who call for years, but in the spirit of Thanksgiving I'd like to thank you for being such an excellent foil.

Oh dang, that link is scary. Another escapee from Shirley's Wellness Cafe and Insanitorium!

Quote Originally Posted by Toothgrinder View Post
    I know it hard to believe but there are still many who are not yet enlightened..
    http://www.training-horses-naturally...necessary.html

Wrong again, I've been unable to help all who call for years, but in the spirit of Thanksgiving I'd like to thank you for being such an excellent foil.
    Did you read the new law in Texas regarding equine dentists? Certainly not a victory for those self proclaimed dentists but certainly a victory for better care of horses.

Did you read the new law in Texas regarding equine dentists?
    No, could you post a link?

Did you read the new law in Texas regarding equine dentists?

Do you mean this piece of legislation that passed?
    http://equinelaw.alisonrowe.com/2011...se-and-senate/

It appears they have spelled out lay dentistry very nicely...read on.

"Under the new law, a licensed equine dental provider may legally provide only the following services, under the general supervision of a licensed veterinarian:
    (1) removing sharp enamel points;

(2) removing small dental overgrowths;

(3) rostral profiling of the first cheek teeth;

(4) reducing incisors;

(5) extracting loose, deciduous teeth;

(6) removing supragingival calculus;

(7) extracting loose, mobile, or diseased teeth or dental fragments with minimal periodontal attachments by hand and without the use of an elevator; and

(8) removing erupted, non-displaced wolf teeth."

Score one for the horses!

Yes, it puts those who have not went to school out of business. You forgot that all work must be under the supervision of a vet that has an VCPR. Also, for those horse owners that are educated, they will realize that there are many routine procedures that lay dentists will not be able to do on their horses so they are going to be much better served by finding a vet that specializes in dentistry so that the horse can get a complete dental instead of only those things allowed by the law.

It is certainly a win for the horses by getting rid of the lay dentists that have not even bothered to go to school. It also creates respopnsibilty and discipline for those that are allowed to do dentistry and makes them report to the owners current vet. But some people will soon find out that their horses are not getting complete dentals because of the limits of the law.

And for the average horse owner who doesn't have access to a vet with good credentials in dentistry, or in an area where vets are scarce and they don't have time for "just floating teeth"? What about their horses, who currently are probably well served by equine dentists.

I have all sorts of agendas, but really, I don't understand the vendetta here, nor the vigilante attacks on an entire group of practitioners just because you seem to have had bad experiences with a few. You are always talking about horses dying or becoming ill or having horrible reactions to things in the hands of non-veterinarians. Have you had ANY good experiences, ever?

Given the CHOICE of a well-qualified dentist and a vet, I would (and do) consider myself lucky to have these options. Given the option of only a vet, living in an area where they are scarce, many owners are going to have little choice but to choose "no routine dental care" and that is a pretty pitiful option.

It's not a vendatta, it's simple facts and trying to get the truth out there so people understand. You have a guy on one side saying power tools are evil and don't move forward with technology. Using scare tactics to use him. It is that simple. The law was designed to help protect horses. For those that know teeth well, they will understand that in Texas, using a lay person will in some or many cases give their horses incomplete dentals.

Did you read the new law in Texas regarding equine dentists? Certainly not a victory for those self proclaimed dentists but certainly a victory for better care of horses.
    Maybe
    Local vet profession organized & had a similar action passed - except only a certified vet may do teeth so Equine Dentists may not even work under vet "supervision" - guess how many Vets who have completed a Dental Specialty actually practise in the region? the rest of the vets now doing teeth are trained with a 2 week course which includes lectures & very limited practical experience

And for the horses that live in the back of beyond (where the Equine Dentists would travel through every 6 months of so) there is NO DENTAL CARE beyond Joe owner & his nifty file.

People are not all nearly as ignorant or uninformed as you might think, and we might be better able to sort through the topic with a more even-handed discussion of the "facts". A person who never has even one single good thing to say about anyone in another branch of their profession (the horse profession, in this case) puts more of a negative emphasis on themself than they do upon their intended victim/antagonist.

Do you really believe there should be NO lay dentists, none? Anywhere? What options, then, for people who don't have access to vets with the time and skill to float teeth?

Seems to me like the law WAS designed to protect horses. Not to disqualify or eliminate legitimate, well-trained, properly skilled equine dentists.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    People are not all nearly as ignorant or uninformed as you might think, and we might be better able to sort through the topic with a more even-handed discussion of the "facts". A person who never has even one single good thing to say about anyone in another branch of their profession (the horse profession, in this case) puts more of a negative emphasis on themself than they do upon their intended victim/antagonist.

Do you really believe there should be NO lay dentists, none? Anywhere? What options, then, for people who don't have access to vets with the time and skill to float teeth?

Seems to me like the law WAS designed to protect horses. Not to disqualify or eliminate legitimate, well-trained, properly skilled equine dentists.
    You may want to read my posts again, you seem to be missing a lot!!! And inserting your own words......

Perhaps, but I'm an above-average reader and the impression I am getting is of someone who has a major problem with anyone touching a horse who is not a vet, and seemingly based on a number of bad personal experiences. If that is not so, it sure is coming across that way to this reader.

I'm as skeptical as the next person ( maybe even more so ) about self-styled "experts" in various professions, but I have no issue with properly qualified experts doing work that vets don't have the time or expertise to do. If that means licensing to separate the real pros from the quacks, I'm all for it. But leaving people with NO dental care options doesn't seem all that great to me.

I didn't read the entire thread...thanks for posting this Toothgrinder.

I see they say there was a study, and refer to a co-author, but do not link the study or show where it was published and if it went under the peer review process. Did I miss it?

I'd like to compare the details to the older study that did not find an increase, or decrease, in digestive efficiency with floating.

Yes, the actual study would be good instead of hearsay. I think the older study that said it did not make any difference was like two years ago.